The Passion - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2004, 08:21 PM   #271
The Fly

Local Time: 08:30 AM
Because it is considered to be offensive to God.... not necessarily to Muslim people....... but to God, Allah.... the same God that created the Bible, the same God that created the Torah... The God that created the Quran......

Old 04-10-2004, 08:31 PM   #272
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:30 AM
The God of the Bible is Jesus Christ. The God of the Quran is Allah. I think you've answered my question.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:52 PM   #273
The Fly

I did? Dude, your not making any sense...... To you, the God of the Bible is Jesus Christ... but not to everyone.... The question in the first place has nothing to do with what you just said...
Old 04-14-2004, 07:57 PM   #274
Blue Crack Addict

Amna, I'm not sure I understand the article. Do the people in Bahrain and/or other Moslems object to the *visual* depiction of Jesus? In other words, do they object to imagery, which, as I understand it, is forbidden by Islam (as in the case of pictures and statues and such)? I'm sort of groping here. I'm not sure exactly what it is they don't like.
Old 04-15-2004, 06:12 AM   #275
War Child

Local Time: 09:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

My criticism generally has to be the unnecessarily long presence of Satan (not Biblically supported), the fact that the film assumes a high amount of knowledge before actually seeing the film, as they skip over lots of names (a cinematic no-no, generally speaking), and the fact that plot is virtually non-existent.
This is very true, Melon. I wasn't planning to see the film, mainly because films I've seen in the past about the Passion and other aspects of Jesus' life have disappointed me in their amateurism, I suppose. But, my sister talked me into seeing it (because she wanted to go again) and I did find it to be well-made. Not as violent as I had anticipated - although maybe I have been de-sensitised - and certainly the violence was what I would imagine it to have been like for Jesus. And it was good to get a visual representation of what Calvary, Gethsemane and the other places looked like.

But I agree with your points. I think I was fortunate to have gone to see the movie on Easter Saturday, because the story was fresh in my mind having read it on Good Friday at church the day before. Had I not, I would have been completely lost because as you said, there wasn't much of a plot, and many characters weren't identified (and they all looked very similar anyway). Also, my sister had told me before about the role of Satan, so I recognised him (her, rather) - but if I hadn't known, I would've had no idea who he was.

I am glad I saw the Passion. I'm pleased it was done in Aramaic and Latin, and with subtitles. I didn't think it was anti-Semetic as such, more anti-authority; the humble Jews, like Veronica and the two Marys, were shown in a very positive light. I can understand people's reactions to the film, because it is a heavy topic and does inspire a lot of debate because everyone has a different idea of what happened. But it was good for me, at least, to really get involved just in the essential idea of the Passion and reflect on my faith in doing so.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:57 PM   #276
Blue Crack Addict

I never thought the MTV generation would even see this film

MTV Movie award nominees

Quote:
One surprise in the male performance category: Jim Caviezel collected a nomination for his role as Jesus in Mel Gibsonís ďThe Passion of the Christ,Ē the filmís only MTV bid.
It probably would have garnered more nominations if the scourging had Matrix-like effects.....
Old 04-21-2004, 07:07 PM   #277
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I never thought the MTV generation would even see this film

It probably would have garnered more nominations if the scourging had Matrix-like effects.....
It certainly had the vapid (lack of) plot like an MTV film has.

Melon
Old 04-21-2004, 09:34 PM   #278
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:30 AM
It has an enitre book's worth of plot...
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #279
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Pretend the book doesn't exist and then evaluate the movie.

And, no, there is no book that focuses solely on Jesus' death. Not even the gospels focus solely on His death.

Melon
Old 04-21-2004, 10:13 PM   #280
ONE
love, blood, life

South Park had a good episode on it.
Old 04-21-2004, 11:51 PM   #281
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:30 AM
As I've stated earlier in this thread, I was repulsed by the film. Nevertheless, I found Quentin Tarantino's assessment of The Passion, oh I don't know, mildly amusing I suppose...

Journalist: So you saw The Passion of the Christ?

Quentin Tarantino: I loved it. Iíll tell you why. I think it actually is one of the most brilliant visual storytelling movies Iíve seen since the talkies ó as far as telling a story via pictures. So much so that when I was watching this movie, I turned to a friend and said, ďThis is such a Herculean leap of Mel Gibsonís talent. I think divine intervention might be part of it.Ē I cannot believe that Mel Gibson directed it. Not personally Mel Gibson ó I mean, Braveheart was great. I mean, I canít believe any actor made that movie. This is like the most visual movie by an actor since Charles Laughton made The Night of the Hunter. No, this is 15 times more visual than that. It has the power of a silent movie. And I was amazed by the fact that it was able to mix all these different tones. At first, this is going to be the most realistic version of the Jesus story ó you have to decipher the Latin and Aramaic. Then it throws that away at a certain point and gives you this grandiose religious image. Goddamn, thatís good direction! It is pretty violent, I must say. At a certain point, it was like a Takashi Miike film. It got so fucked up it was funny. At one point, my friend and I, we just started laughing. I was into the seriousness of the story, of course, but in the crucifixion scene, when they turned the cross over, you had to laugh.

http://www.laweekly.com/ink/04/21/features-powers.php
Old 04-22-2004, 10:40 AM   #282
Blue Crack Addict

Tarantino has an interesting defense mechanism....
Old 04-22-2004, 10:54 AM   #283
Blue Crack Addict

I haven't seen the Passion, but I find it very odd that he would laugh at that and find it funny in any way. Whatever floats his boat...

he's a strange guy in my humble opinion. Maybe it's all pent up frustration from his lust for Uma Thurman
Old 04-22-2004, 11:33 AM   #284
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
What? A whole book? I'm not sure what book you're reading. What about those who aren't familiar with this book you speak of, would they find a plot?

I know the story and I found little plot.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:01 PM   #285
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:30 AM
A CNN film critic laughed hysterically at that part too, so it isn't just Tarantino...surprisingly.

But I can't really criticize, I've been known to do the same thing--though not during The Passion.