The Passion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20040530/film_nm/religion_passion_nun_dc_3

Hate to bump this contentious thread, but this article is a good description of the origins of this film, and, as you'll read, it is less to do with the Bible than the writings of a controversial mystic, Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824), whose book, "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ," is likely responsible for the very bloody and violent scenes, and is also the origin of Gibson's decision to have Satan appear through the film--which did not happen in the Bible.

As for the anti-Semitism controversy, it is Emmerich's book's association with the film that likely caused the furor, because the book is virulently anti-Semitic.

But it appears that Emmerich's blood lust and anti-Semitism will pay off; she's going to be beatified by the Vatican. Hooray. :|

Melon

Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824), whose book, "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ,"

I can't believe this has not come up in this thread.

I was aware of this before the film was released.

(I spend too much time reading different papers)

It always puzzles me when I hear someone say something to the effect, "This is EXACTALLY how it was. The movie was like being there."

deep said:

I can't believe this has not come up in this thread.

I was aware of this before the film was released.

(I spend too much time reading different papers)

It always puzzles me when I hear someone say something to the effect, "This is EXACTALLY how it was. The movie was like being there."

Yeah, me too. I thought it already had come up in this thread, actually.

But it doesn't puzzle me that people say that. From a strictly cinematic point of view, very few films I've seen lately have made me feel as transported as The Passion did. I went into it without any expectations (other than extreme curiosity) and was really blown away by how real it felt. Maybe I'm just gullible. :wink:

To most people unaccustomed to any sort of history, I imagine the effect was even more so. Most people are used to Cecil B. deMille-type religious films, where the people are clean and the costumes are attractive. To see the time period portrayed at all realistically was a real eye opener to many--which is really quite sad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom