The Paradox of Anti-Americanism in Iran

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
Iranians' fondness for America is nearer to that of a secret admirer than what exists between lifelong chums. By distancing itself from the United States, the Islamic regime has allowed many of its citizens to create "America" in their own minds. For the older generations, "America" recalls an era of economic affluence that the mullahs have been unable to reinstate since overthrowing the shah. For the younger ones, "America" evokes a fantasy of liberal social attitudes. Many young Iranians now openly defy the regime's prohibition of alcohol and coed activities.
link
Fascinating.

That was an interesting read. I've been reading a lot of articles over the past couple of years that show Iranians in my age group (18-24) would like to see their country and the US re-establish diplomatic ties, and they want a Western-like democracy rather than a strict Islamic government that tells them how to live their everyday lives.

But this article is a paradox to what's happening these days. Iranians are signing up to be suicide bombers and kill Americans in Iraq. And by the looks of it, Iran is building missiles that could hit Europe, and its possible they could be planning anything for the US.

I guess this quote sums everything up:
"If one U.S. soldier comes to Iran, all this [positive sentiment toward America] will change. It is like we are in the 90th minute of a soccer match. Anything can happen

I guess its a matter of hope that the attitudes of Iranians towards the US would continue to change for the better.

i think it's been common knowledge that over the past decade or so the younger generations of iranians have been moving increasingly out of step with the ruling class. i hope that they are able to make a real internal change in that society though. i think a US imposed democracy through either overt or covert military operations would be a disappointment...i think.

No, I think you're right. I'd rather see the Iranian people change their government and their country than see someone else do it.

did anyone see Christopher Hitchens on The Daily Show on Wednesday?

he had lots to say, and indeed a whole book, on this subject.

I can't say for sure that the younger generation of Iran will be on our side. There is so much hate and violence in the Middle East, and too many in that area have been preached hate since birth. I do put my hope into the idea that we will one day make peace with them and the rest of the world.

Pearl said:
No, I think you're right. I'd rather see the Iranian people change their government and their country than see someone else do it.

I agree. It's their country and they're the ones who know what they want, not us or another foreign country.

I suspect that the people that have had to live under that despotic system of government have a real yearning for freedom.

A_Wanderer said:
I suspect that the people that have had to live under that despotic system of government have a real yearning for freedom.

You're right, there has been a very strong pro-democracy movement in Iran. They got screwed big time in the last elections and I just think that made them want it more.

Back
Top Bottom