The Open Work of Stanley Kubrick - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-03-2001, 02:09 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 10:41 PM
Some things I'd like to know.

If Kubrick intended Full Metal Jacket to not be an anti-war film, why then were there all those sequences with Private Pyle? Those scenes just begged the viewer to feel sorry for him.

Also, why was Lolita shot in black and white? What artistic decision was there behind this? We know that colour technology was available then, since Spartacus was shot in colour.

Is Space Odyssey the only 'original' (for want of a better word) Kubrick screenplay, in that he didn't take the initial idea from a book? Arthur C Clarke wrote the book in collaboration with Kubrick, or was it before, or did it come after? In any case, the movie finally morphed into a story nothing like the book. (I noticed that all of his films are based on some book.)

foray

Old 08-03-2001, 11:30 AM   #17
Banned

Local Time: 09:41 AM
Kubrick could not hide away from the fact that people would feel sorry for Pyle and the abuse he suffers from the drill seagerant, this was necessary because the importance of the character Pyle was to create someone that literally that went insane and when he did, show the difference between him and the Joker, the bathroom scene at the end of the first half. The essence of the movie is the fact that the Joker says he is a killer but really is not. The bathroom scene shows how Joker is not even close to a killer, that is he very scared when he has to deal with Pyle going insane.

The reason why Lolita was filmed in black and white because black and white photographs people much better than color ever could, meaning black and white adds dimension to the faces of the characters in the film. Kubrick had no reason to go color with Lolita or Dr. Strangelove so he didn't.

The book was written at the same time the film was made. Arthur C. Clarke wrote chapter by chapter and get the approval of Kubrick. 2001 is based off the short story The Sentinel also by Arthur C. Clarke. Kubrick intended for the book and the film to be looked at as different pieces of work because he did not want people when trying to understand the movie be able to just read the book to get all the answers so he had them both to be different but every part of the book had to get the approval of Kubrick himself.

~rougerum

Old 08-10-2001, 02:53 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Interesting! Thanks. I guess not many Interferencers are into Kubrick?

foray
Old 08-10-2001, 08:58 AM   #19
Acrobat

Quote:
I guess not many Interferencers are into Kubrick?

I love Kubrik, most of his will probably haunt me till my memory completely fails.

I just have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation and whatever insight I had was already expressed ten times better by other people above than I could have expressed it.

I will add that I think Rougerum should look into writing professional essays for Film mags.

------------------
Steve
SAME OLD STORY- Hardcore American Comedy
Old 08-16-2001, 02:17 PM   #20
Acrobat

"2001: A Space Odyssey" is one of my all-time favorite movies. For me, it is an art piece.
...yet... WHAT DOES THE END MEAN!!!???

Any idea??

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal!"
Old 08-16-2001, 04:09 PM   #21
The Fly

The whole purpose of that ending is for the viewer themselves to decide on its meaning, what use would it be being told what it means? The viewer makes up its own meanings for things in the film and gives it more importance because each different interpretation states the case more and more that it is an open work. The best films are the films that give off more meanings and are not limited to just one nice, rolled up meaning that is obvious to the audience.

~rougerum
Old 08-20-2001, 12:14 AM   #22
Kid A

Local Time: 04:41 AM
How come you don't talk about A Clockwork Orange? Do you consider it to be a film of lesser quality? Huh, Georgie boy? None of the old "in-out, in-out" for you I suppose... ?
Old 08-20-2001, 04:00 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Watch yer trap, droogie, or he'll come and tolchok ye til yer glassies come oot.

yarof
Old 08-20-2001, 02:13 PM   #24
The Fly

The reason I didn't talk about A Clockwork Orange there because it is generally regarded as a great film by most people, my point was to talk about films really not considered to be up there in being great pieces of film art.

~rougerum