The ONE Campaign at the MLK Day Festival in Texas!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Hi EveryONE,

On Monday, January 16, 2006, there will be a ONE volunteer booth at the 13th annual MLK Day March and Festival in Austin Texas.

This is the second year that I have staffed an informational booth on behalf of The ONE Campaign at the MLK Day Festival which will take place between 10:00am - 2:00pm on the grounds of Huston-Tillotson University (11th and Chicon Street). Preceding the Festival there will be a March starting at the King Statue on the grounds of the University of Texas proceeding through the downtown Austin area and to Huston-Tillotson.

Everyone is invited to come and join us in remembering the life and the legacy of this most remarkable man and to promote the goals of ONE.

Last year, there were over 15,000 people who participated in the MLK Day March and Festival. Please be a part of this year's activities.

Everyone is encouraged to walk in the MLK March before the Festival to show support for Dr. King's Dream. If you participate in the March, it would be great to wear you "ONE" shirts and/or carry signs showing your support of the ONE Campaign.

I have provided the financial resources for AustinONE to have this opportunity to come together again for the world's poorest people. I hope to see you on Monday.

Here is the link with all the pertinent info regarding the MLK March and Festival:

http://www.mlkcelebration.com/marchandrally.php

LOVE AND PEACE. :hug:

PS:

It would really be nice to know if anyone else has any activities, especially for ONE, that they are participating in for Dr. King's Holiday.

Thanks for your time. :up:

Thanks, ladyluck, for your support. :wink:

The struggle against extreme poverty can't just go on at Vertigo concerts - it's got to be an everyday effort.

And what more perfect day to raise the issue of extreme poverty than Dr. King's Holiday? :hug:

Here is a very good article about the ONE Campaign:

http://www.courant.com/features/lif...,2882727.column?coll=hc-utility-features-life

Making ONE Voice Count

During U2's Hartford concert in December, charismatic lead singer Bono took a moment to give a shout-out to the ONE Campaign. His organization, DATA (an acronym for debt, AIDS, trade and Africa), is among ONE's founding organizations.

"It was terrific," says Eileen Burke of Westport-based Save the Children, another founding organization. "People of all ages were at the concert, from teenagers to aged rockers, and at one point, a visual comes up, a map of Africa, and Bono starts to talk about what the situation is like. At that point, they flash up on the screen a number you can call from your cellphone or send a text message."

By most standards, 2005 was a horrible year. At its onset, the world was still reeling from the post-Christmas tsunami in Asia. Sprinkled throughout were floods, fires and wars. The AIDS pandemic continued to strafe Africa. Pakistan was rocked by an earthquake. And America had Katrina.

Through it all, Americans gave and gave, and what experts predicted would be compassion fatigue never came. Americans gave in record numbers - to other Americans and to people abroad.

May 2006 be a gentler year, but may we take from 2005 the knowledge that in many of last year's worst-hit areas, the disasters wouldn't have had nearly as large an impact had those places not already been racked by poverty, pestilence and a lack of attention from the people in power to change things.

The ONE Campaign seeks to change that, even though it is emphatically not a fundraising organization. What the ONE Campaign wants is your phone call, your e-mail, your letter to your elected representatives to ask that an additional 1 percent of the federal budget (about $25 billion) be devoted to fighting AIDS and poverty worldwide. ONE also seeks, according to its literature, "debt cancellation, trade reform and anti-corruption measures in a comprehensive package to help Africa and the poorest nations beat AIDS and extreme poverty."

In July, Burke took family members to Philadelphia to the Live 8 concert. There, she says, when the ONE message flashed on the screen, "I'm standing next to my 12-year-old nephew, and he pulls out his cellphone to text-message the ONE Campaign, and in front of him is a guy decked out in his Vietnam vet paraphernalia, and he pulls out his cellphone to text-message."

And in that, ONE has a certain genius to it. Make your voice heard. Affect the voting of your elected representative. Change a life. Follow the lead of celebrities like Bono, who with Bill and Melinda Gates was recently named Persons of the Year for their work in alleviating world poverty and improving world health.

Since April, 1.6 million Americans have joined ONE (and ye shall know them by their identifying white wristbands). Already in this state, 25,600 citizens have joined, according to ONE spokeswoman Meighan Stone. All five Connecticut House members supported a bill introduced in November that would increase support for international child survival. Gov. M. Jodi Rell declared Dec. 10 "State of One Day." Proper attention from policy makers, says Save the Children President and CEO Charles MacCormack, "offers millions more children the chance to grow up to celebrate their fifth birthday." Every year, according to Save the Children, more than 10 million children under age 5 die from preventable or treatable diseases such as measles, tetanus, diarrhea, pneumonia and malaria. Malnutrition contributes to more than half of these deaths.

Writing a check is a wonderful, charitable thing to do. But proactively changing a vote, helping to build a country's infrastructure and offering preventive medicine is even better. The president is mulling over his 2007 budget requests now. He should hear from you. Burke says, "In the end, that's going to help these children."

:applaud:

Here is a beautiful article about the Dr. King Holiday:

The Meaning of the

Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday

By Coretta Scott King

The Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday celebrates the life and legacy of a man who brought hope and healing to America. We commemorate as well the timeless values he taught us through his example -- the values of courage, truth, justice, compassion, dignity, humility and service that so radiantly defined Dr. King’s character and empowered his leadership. On this holiday, we commemorate the universal, unconditional love, forgiveness and nonviolence that empowered his revolutionary spirit.

We commemorate Dr. King’s inspiring words, because his voice and his vision filled a great void in our nation, and answered our collective longing to become a country that truly lived by its noblest principles. Yet, Dr. King knew that it wasn’t enough just to talk the talk, that he had to walk the walk for his words to be credible. And so we commemorate on this holiday the man of action, who put his life on the line for freedom and justice every day, the man who braved threats and jail and beatings and who ultimately paid the highest price to make democracy a reality for all Americans.

The King Holiday honors the life and contributions of America’s greatest champion of racial justice and equality, the leader who not only dreamed of a color-blind society, but who also lead a movement that achieved historic reforms to help make it a reality.

On this day we commemorate Dr. King’s great dream of a vibrant, multiracial nation united in justice, peace and reconciliation; a nation that has a place at the table for children of every race and room at the inn for every needy child. We are called on this holiday, not merely to honor, but to celebrate the values of equality, tolerance and interracial sister and brotherhood he so compellingly expressed in his great dream for America.

It is a day of interracial and intercultural cooperation and sharing. No other day of the year brings so many peoples from different cultural backgrounds together in such a vibrant spirit of brother and sisterhood. Whether you are African-American, Hispanic or Native American, whether you are Caucasian or Asian-American, you are part of the great dream Martin Luther King, Jr. had for America. This is not a black holiday; it is a peoples' holiday. And it is the young people of all races and religions who hold the keys to the fulfillment of his dream.

We commemorate on this holiday the ecumenical leader and visionary who embraced the unity of all faiths in love and truth. And though we take patriotic pride that Dr. King was an American, on this holiday we must also commemorate the global leader who inspired nonviolent liberation movements around the world. Indeed, on this day, programs commemorating my husband’s birthday are being observed in more than 100 nations.

The King Holiday celebrates Dr. King’s global vision of the world house, a world whose people and nations had triumphed over poverty, racism, war and violence. The holiday celebrates his vision of ecumenical solidarity, his insistence that all faiths had something meaningful to contribute to building the beloved community.

The Holiday commemorates America’s pre-eminent advocate of nonviolence --- the man who taught by his example that nonviolent action is the most powerful, revolutionary force for social change available to oppressed people in their struggles for liberation.

This holiday honors the courage of a man who endured harassment, threats and beatings, and even bombings. We commemorate the man who went to jail 29 times to achieve freedom for others, and who knew he would pay the ultimate price for his leadership, but kept on marching and protesting and organizing anyway.

Every King holiday has been a national "teach-in" on the values of nonviolence, including unconditional love, tolerance, forgiveness and reconciliation, which are so desperately-needed to unify America. It is a day of intensive education and training in Martin’s philosophy and methods of nonviolent social change and conflict-reconciliation. The Holiday provides a unique opportunity to teach young people to fight evil, not people, to get in the habit of asking themselves, "what is the most loving way I can resolve this conflict?"

On the King holiday, young people learn about the power of unconditional love even for one's adversaries as a way to fight injustice and defuse violent disputes. It is a time to show them the power of forgiveness in the healing process at the interpersonal as well as international levels.

Martin Luther King, Jr. Day is not only for celebration and remembrance, education and tribute, but above all a day of service. All across America on the Holiday, his followers perform service in hospitals and shelters and prisons and wherever people need some help. It is a day of volunteering to feed the hungry, rehabilitate housing, tutoring those who can't read, mentoring at-risk youngsters, consoling the broken-hearted and a thousand other projects for building the beloved community of his dream.

Dr. King once said that we all have to decide whether we "will walk in the light of creative altruism or the darkness of destructive selfishness. Life's most persistent and nagging question, he said, is `what are you doing for others?'" he would quote Mark 9:35, the scripture in which Jesus of Nazareth tells James and John "...whosoever will be great among you shall be your servant; and whosoever among you will be the first shall be the servant of all." And when Martin talked about the end of his mortal life in one of his last sermons, on February 4, 1968 in the pulpit of Ebenezer Baptist Church, even then he lifted up the value of service as the hallmark of a full life. "I'd like somebody to mention on that day Martin Luther King, Jr. tried to give his life serving others," he said. "I want you to say on that day, that I did try in my life...to love and serve humanity.

We call you to commemorate this Holiday by making your personal commitment to serve humanity with the vibrant spirit of unconditional love that was his greatest strength, and which empowered all of the great victories of his leadership. And with our hearts open to this spirit of unconditional love, we can indeed achieve the Beloved Community of Martin Luther King, Jr.’s dream.
May we who follow Martin now pledge to serve humanity, promote his teachings and carry forward his legacy into the 21st Century.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.thekingcenter.org/holiday/index.asp :wink:

Thanks To-Ho for the words of support - they are truly appreciated. :yes:

Thank God the weather for tomorrow has lost its chances of rain - it's supposed to be in the seventies and partly cloudy.

Tabling an info booth in the rain isn't too much fun. :sexywink:

My college is having Dorth Cotton, someone involved with MLK, speak on thursday night here

I'm going :)

Looking forward to it.

I hope the one campaing has much success

A side and related note:

Correta Scott King made her first public appearance since her stroke Saturday night.

http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=74624

06114224011_CorettaKingDinner-011406.jpg

For Honor, the person that will be speaking at your college is probably Dorothy Cotton.

Here's her website:

http://www.dorothycotton.com/html/biography.html

And Miss VelevtDress, thank you for the update on Mrs. King!

It's very good to see her up and about .:wink:

Here is the article I did about my time at the King Center two years ago when Bono was given their "Salute to Greatness" award for his humanitarian activities:

http://forum.interference.com/t87631.html

IN THE NAME OF LOVE - :hug:

Jamilla - We're very excited about the activities!!!! Wish I could be there--- well, will be with you in spirit! :wave:

SunBLoc -I'm really moved by your sincere show of support.

Today went well, although it did sprinkle several times which sent me into a mad dash to protect all the petitions and ONE info on the table! :wink:

Altogether, another 110 people signed up to join the ONE Campaign today at the Festival - and a few offers for future ONE outreach opportunities.

All in all, a very successful yet tiring day.

And the news about Coretta was heartening, verte, Let's pray that she continues to improve. :angel:

Wonderful article that you posted Jamila.:wave:

You are an inspiration to us all.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us. It is refreshing and exciting to see so many people keeping Martin Luther King's dream alive.

I only wish I could be there to show my support:hug:

I was wondering if it would be ok if I posted a few of my favorite MLK quotes I have been posting them around here to any thread that I thought was appropriate. This thread seems to fit that description

dear Carmelu2fan - post away!

Dr. King's words are appropriate for any day. ;)

Here is a link to an excellent article that appeared in the local Atlanta paper (ACJ) reporting on Bono's day in Atlanta:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/0104/17ebenezer.html

Click on the Photo Gallery to see some awesome pictures of Bono with Mrs. King, Rep. John Lewis and others from that very special day!

MAY ALL YOUR DREAMS BE REALIZED.... :up:

No problem - I'm only human too.

Just wanted people to know a bit about Dorothy Cotton - one of the TRUE early female heroines of the Civil Rights Movement. :yes:

Oh I am sorry I asked if I could post the MLK quotes and forgot to do so. I hope this is not to late.

:reject:

Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam.
I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak
for the poor in America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I
speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as an American to the
leaders of my own nation. The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours.

Martin Luther King, Jr., The Trumpet of Conscience, 1967.

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching
spiritual death.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967.

The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not
revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of
futility.

Martin Luther King, Jr., The Trumpet of Conscience, 1967.

Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and
violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge,
aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Nobel Prize acceptance speech, Stockholm, Sweden, December 11, 1964.

Man was born into barbarism when killing his fellow man was a normal condition of existence. He became endowed with a
conscience. And he has now reached the day when violence toward another human being must become as abhorrent as eating
another's flesh.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Why We Can't Wait, 1963.

The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of
civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant
animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.

t is necessary to understand that Black Power is a cry of disappointment. The Black Power slogan did not spring full grown
from the head of some philosophical Zeus. It was born from the wounds of despair and disappointment. It is a cry of daily hurt
and persistent pain.

This is for all of the gracious and positive people who have posted in this thread - :applaud:

This is for Dr. King and Coretta - :hug:

Jamila, thank you for all that you do on behalf of the One campaign. You are indeed a very special soul. I enjoy reading what you post, it is full of information and data. Your energy to continue spreading the awareness never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Bless you! :hug:

Carek1230 - many, many thanks and high regards for you too. :wink:

I only try to be consistent between what I preach and what I "teach".

And I really like your smily - only wish that I could be in Hawaii this coming April. :sexywink:

Blessings - not just for those who kneel.

Back
Top Bottom