The ONE Campaign at the MLK Day Festival in Texas! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 09:20 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
For Honor, the person that will be speaking at your college is probably Dorothy Cotton.

Yes, it is.

thanks for the spelling correction, and site

Old 01-17-2006, 05:23 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:41 AM
No problem - I'm only human too.

Just wanted people to know a bit about Dorothy Cotton - one of the TRUE early female heroines of the Civil Rights Movement.

Old 01-17-2006, 01:04 PM   #18
Acrobat

Thanks for always keeping us up to date on ONE activities. What a great group of which you are such a commited supporter! Thanks for doing your share to keeping the MLK dream alive.
xxx
Old 01-17-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Oh I am sorry I asked if I could post the MLK quotes and forgot to do so. I hope this is not to late.

Somehow this madness must cease. We must stop now. I speak as a child of God and brother to the suffering poor of Vietnam.
I speak for those whose land is being laid waste, whose homes are being destroyed, whose culture is being subverted. I speak
for the poor in America who are paying the double price of smashed hopes at home and death and corruption in Vietnam. I
speak as a citizen of the world, for the world as it stands aghast at the path we have taken. I speak as an American to the
leaders of my own nation. The great initiative in this war is ours. The initiative to stop it must be ours.

Martin Luther King, Jr., The Trumpet of Conscience, 1967.

A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching
spiritual death.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Where Do We Go from Here: Chaos or Community?, 1967.

The limitation of riots, moral questions aside, is that they cannot win and their participants know it. Hence, rioting is not
revolutionary but reactionary because it invites defeat. It involves an emotional catharsis, but it must be followed by a sense of
futility.

Martin Luther King, Jr., The Trumpet of Conscience, 1967.

Nonviolence is the answer to the crucial political and moral questions of our time: the need for man to overcome oppression and
violence without resorting to oppression and violence. Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge,
aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Nobel Prize acceptance speech, Stockholm, Sweden, December 11, 1964.

Man was born into barbarism when killing his fellow man was a normal condition of existence. He became endowed with a
conscience. And he has now reached the day when violence toward another human being must become as abhorrent as eating
another's flesh.

Martin Luther King, Jr., Why We Can't Wait, 1963.

The curse of poverty has no justification in our age. It is socially as cruel and blind as the practice of cannibalism at the dawn of
civilization, when men ate each other because they had not yet learned to take food from the soil or to consume the abundant
animal life around them. The time has come for us to civilize ourselves by the total, direct and immediate abolition of poverty.

[I]t is necessary to understand that Black Power is a cry of disappointment. The Black Power slogan did not spring full grown
from the head of some philosophical Zeus. It was born from the wounds of despair and disappointment. It is a cry of daily hurt
and persistent pain.

Old 01-17-2006, 08:46 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

This is for all of the gracious and positive people who have posted in this thread -

This is for Dr. King and Coretta -
Old 01-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #21
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Jamila, thank you for all that you do on behalf of the One campaign. You are indeed a very special soul. I enjoy reading what you post, it is full of information and data. Your energy to continue spreading the awareness never ceases to amaze and inspire me. Bless you!
Old 01-18-2006, 05:47 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Carek1230 - many, many thanks and high regards for you too.

I only try to be consistent between what I preach and what I "teach".

And I really like your smily - only wish that I could be in Hawaii this coming April.

Blessings - not just for those who kneel.