The official kickoff to the 2008 Edwards for President Campaign!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
After reading the article about Elizabeth Edwards in People magazine, I'm not sure her husband has any more politics scheduled. They're moving back to North Carolina, and will build a house on some land they bought and raise horses. They've worked really hard and maybe they are ready to smell some roses.

I agree. I think I'll jump on the Warner in 2008 bandwagon.

I am from North Carolina, and the grim reality is that Edwards is not likely to carry his own State, much less the South. Indeed, I believe the South is something of a lost cause (at least temporarily). In order for the dems to win, the paradigm must change. Look west (Vilsak, Richardson), consolidate the base, reach out to moderates including those fiscal conservatives who are less interested in religious affiliation/intervention, and are instead more interested in small, more effective government. Remember, Clinton is the one who declared that the era of big government is over. The current admisinstration has expanded government to its largest ever size, which has many true republicans grumbling. As an aside, Richardson appeals to the hispanic voter, and the southwestern states are beginning to drift from their strict conservative ideology.

clipper699 said:
I am from North Carolina, and the grim reality is that Edwards is not likely to carry his own State, much less the South. Indeed, I believe the South is something of a lost cause (at least temporarily). In order for the dems to win, the paradigm must change. Look west (Vilsak, Richardson), consolidate the base, reach out to moderates including those fiscal conservatives who are less interested in religious affiliation/intervention, and are instead more interested in small, more effective government. Remember, Clinton is the one who declared that the era of big government is over. The current admisinstration has expanded government to its largest ever size, which has many true republicans grumbling. As an aside, Richardson appeals to the hispanic voter, and the southwestern states are beginning to drift from their strict conservative ideology.

Being from North Carolina you'd know. Vilsak and Richardson are real possibilities as well. They're not really big names now and they're not well known outside their states, but that could really change. Yes, Clinton declared the era of "big government" over. It's a little ironic that the so-called "progressive" wing of the Party could turn into the most old-fashioned and inflexible wing of the party.

Last edited:
Forget about the fourth tier!

Richardson? No! :sigh: Vilsack? No! :yuck:

It's significant to post that neither of those Democrat governors could even carry their own "blue" states for their Dem prez candidate. In fact, Vilsak Who? lost Iowa and Richardson What? lost New Mexico -- and both of their "blue" states in 2000 w/ Gore are now "red" states which went for BUSH! They (R&V) are 2 of the many big losers in the recent political election process. :ohmy:

Girlz (U-2 Dem, Verte, Pax, et al.), don't worry -- HILLARY will be the nominee, barring anything out of the ordinary. Aren't U all excited and proud that the likely nominee -- ahead in all of the polls now -- will also be a WOMAN? Hello! Also, why are U all acting like "desperate wives" searching for a new Dem nominee? :huh:

Last edited:
In case you can't tell, Stonewall, I do not want Hillary as the nominee. I don't give a damn that she's female. That's just a circumstance of birth that shouldn't be a determining factor. The fact is that Vilsak and Richardson are from more conservative states, and they were both elected governor. I don't give a damn that they couldn't deliver their states for a liberal from Massachusetts. That hardly means that they can't carry their own damn states should they be the nominee. When we cast our votes for the Democratic nominee, I'll bet serious bucks that if either one of these guys run they'll beat the pants off of Hillary. They're not likely to ever become as controversial and divisive as she is. They're not big names now, thus they're not doing so great in the polls. Hillary is doing well right now mainly because of name recognition. Change the name recognition scenario and it's a whole different ballgame.

It's not a matter of her being a woman, it's a matter of whether or not she would be a good president. I don't think she would. Verte's right, it's ALL about name recognition. If a pollster calls you and asks you who support and you recognize 1 out of 5 names or so, you're going to say that 1 name. :shrug: We've got 4 years to regroup. Time will tell who is emerging as a favorite, and as we saw in the last primaries, the favorite (Dean) isn't always the winner.

Yes, and also consider that governors have a better track record at winning elections than Senators do. OK, Hillary is no ordinary Senator in that she is also a former First Lady. Since when did marriage to anyone, I don't care who it is, make someone qualified? It'll give name recognition and media recognition, but it hardly qualifies as experience for the presidency itself.

Hillary & The U-2-ettes???

:eyebrow: One thing's 4 sure: The U-2-ettes will not be singing background on any Hillary songs! :wink:

Girlz, it is not E/Z, however, for the reader to get the drift of your major complaint against HRC. Anyone who stated several years ago that the then-First Lady did not have enough experience for them can no longer make that claim. She's very experienced now and very successful at it. She's been complimented frombioth sides of the aisle -- plus independents! And, for example, Sen. HILLARY is frequently and wrongly painted as being too liberal. She has many proven political positions -- especially with the war on terror and national defense -- that are clearly "conservative". So, what gives? Pax is unusually quiet on this one.... :|

Meanwhile, Johnny Boi Edwards is on his way out of the U.S. Senate where HRC excels and J.E. is strictly "standing in the shadows" of Hillary! :huh:

Visit the 2004 NYC Gay Pride Parade:
www.STONEWALLvets.org/parade/SW-35.htm
How do U like that blue 1969 Cadillac convertible?

Last edited:
Stonewall, I'm shocked that any conservative likes Hillary Clinton. I actually like her OK, but I don't want her as my party's nominee. Sure she's doing well in the Senate, which is a cakewalk after what she went through in the White House. But I'd rather have a governor as the candidate. Governors are more successful, historically. As for John Edwards, I'm not at all sure he even plans to run in any more political races. He and his family are leaving Washington and moving back to North Carolina to raise horses. Who knows, his next competitive venture just might be the Kentucky Derby. :wink:

Last edited:
HILLARY appeals across the board!

:eyebrow: Remember... HILLARY Rodham was born into a Republican family, was President of the Young Republicans (and fought off 3 guys to win it), was a proud "Goldwater Girl", switched to Democrat only years after marrying Clinton, consistently (unlike Kerry) supports the Bush Administration's approach on Iraq, etc. -- and U wonder how could any conservative can even be "comfortable "with her? :|

By the way, who was with Hillary today -- and performed -- BONO!
Hello! Our U-2 Board Chairman was not there with The Clintons because he doesn't want her as Prez. Think about it! :bono:

Last edited:
Dude he was there to support BILL, it was all about BILL clinton not hillary. duh. Bono and Clinton have been chums since the '92 election. Clinton did so much for AIDs in Africa, another reason for Bono to be there for him. Their performance at the library had nothing to do with Hillary.

It was a sweet performance though!!! :drool:

That's right, it was Bill Clinton's presidential library. Of course Hillary was there as his wife. But it had nothing to do with her. Like U2dem pointed out Bono and Clinton have been good friends since 1992. That's why Bono was at the opening. I have no objections if you really like Hillary, I like her OK myself. It's just shocking to find a conservative who likes her.

Last edited:
Yet another reason BUSH won!

U2democrat said:
a conservative liking hillary is like a liberal liking bush.
Loads of liberals voted for their American president, George Bush, Jr. How do U think he won with a four million vote majority? Obviously, not just from Republicans. To use your dumb word: "duh"! Also, I guess U'd be surprised at how many Liberals also put security and the war on terror as "top priority".

When U see BONO perform at HILLARY-for-Prez events in less than four years, will U doubtfully remember to backpeddle and say and post, "Oh, that boy Stonewall was right (pun intended) again"! :wink: By the way, immediately after BONO's performance, he was with HILLARY at length not BILL. It's silly and disingenuous for U to falsely deny that BONO obviously is "friends" with both!! No doubt, he is well aware of which is the CLINTON of the future. :|

Last edited:
I don't know that alot of liberals voted for Bush. Maybe some did, but remember, this was quite a close election and Kerry got plenty of votes and support. My mother is going nuts buying the Heinz brand at the store, just to make a statement. There will be peaceful and orderly protests against Bush's policies and they will be pretty well attended. These acts are in no way intended to disrupt or harm, they'll mainly be self-expression and companionship in a shared goal. If you like Hillary, fine, that's not a problem for me, like I've said before it's shocking to find a conservative Hillary fan.

Last edited:
Since when was the WILLIAM JEFFERSON CLINTON Library opening a Hillary for president event? Last I checked it was all about Bill's legacy, not Hillary's future. Sure some, liberals voted for Bush, but not many. That's like when some conservatives voted for Kerry. It happens in every election. There's also such people who consider themselves "independent" as I'm sure you know.

Heinz = Republican

verte76 said:
....My mother is going nuts buying the Heinz brand at the store, just to make a statement....

The late, respected and popular Sen. H. John HEINZ was and the HEINZ family is 100% Republican -- as was his his very loyal wife, the now Teresa HEINZ-Kerry, until a year or so ago. We must conclude that your Mother -- like mine -- is making a HEINZ catch-up statement in favor of the Presidential winning Republicans. Right-on to her! :wink:

See BONO on SNL tonite! :|

U-2 Democrat said:
Since when was the william jefferson clinton Library opening a HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT event? Last I checked it was all about Bill's legacy, not Hillary's future. Sure some, liberals voted for Bush, but not many. That's like when some conservatives voted for Kerry. It happens in every election. There's also such people who consider themselves "independent" as I'm sure you know.

Calma downa, U-2-D! No one said that it was =primarily= a Hillary-for-President event. Let's not U overdo "The Twist" too much. However, it necessarily served that purpose, too. In case U don't know -- though I suspect that U do -- since Election Day everything that Hillary is at has presidential implications. If U listened to some of the comments shown on t.v. and heard on radio such as "This may not be the only CLINTON Presidential Library" or "The next Clinton Library may be located much closer to home (New York)", etc., etc., I know U catch the not-so-underlining drift! Who wouldn't? Ask BILL if he'd like his wife to be the next prez! :wink:

P.S. U'd never know this was a file on Johnny Edwards' presidential prospects? It doesn't look good 4-U, Senator. :ohmy:

Last edited:
Stonewall said:

P.S. U'd never know this was a file on Johnny Edwards' presidential prospects? It doesn't look good 4-U, Senator. :ohmy:

After reading the interview with Elizabeth Edwards in People magazine, it looks like Edwards may be leaving politics. They're leaving Washington and moving back to North Carolina. With two small kids to raise they may be re-assessing their priorities as any ordinary couple might do when they are facing this much adversity.

"The End of The Road"

Edwards not being a future candidate was also quoted on FNC's "The Political Grapevine". :eyebrow:

Let's presume that this will be "The End" of this file....

Last edited:
One of the coolest things mentioned in the People magazine article was the get-well card for Elizabeth from Dick and Lynne Cheney. At the end of the day parents realize what they have in common more than they do any differences they may have.

I loved on the Today Show the way he talked about her, what a great love and friendship they seem to have. Such respect for each other too.

They're lucky, and I hope they can have many more years together.

Yeah they were great on the today show. I'll miss them as they're no longer in the spotlight. (I remember going through Edwards withdrawal between his pulling out in the primaries and the VP announcement)

I'll miss them too but I'll bet John wants something a little more low-key considering the situation they're in now. There's no way in hell you can be in politics and "take it easy", which is probably what the doctor's orders are for Elizabeth.

verte76 said:

After reading the interview with Elizabeth Edwards in People magazine, it looks like Edwards may be leaving politics. They're leaving Washington and moving back to North Carolina. With two small kids to raise they may be re-assessing their priorities as any ordinary couple might do when they are facing this much adversity.
It's really sick and disgusting that some people treat her cancer as a political issue. Policies are meant to be disliked, but people don't exist just to be hated.

I agree, cancer shouldn't be a political issue. It's really unfortunate that Elizabeth has this to deal with. I'm sure they'll be OK, they've been though alot and hopefully have many wonderful years together ahead of them.

Back
Top Bottom