The official Hurricane Rita thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2005, 10:59 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:59 PM
The official Hurricane Rita thread

I figured we needed one as the storm progressed...we can discuss breaking news and such here.

Speaking of which:

Breaking news: Water is spilling over the levee and into the 9th ward in New Orleans...

Old 09-23-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 PM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/09/23/D8CQ4NO06.html

Rita Weakens to a Category 3 Hurricane

By MICHAEL GRACZYK
Associated Press Writer

HOUSTON

A slowly weakening Hurricane Rita steamed toward the Texas and Louisiana coast with 125 mph winds Friday, taking direct aim at the nation's oil-refining industry. "We're going to get through this," Texas Gov. Rick Perry said. "Say a prayer for Texas."

Rita weakened during the day to a Category 3 hurricane, down from a fearsome Category 5 with 175 mph winds on Wednesday. It was expected to come ashore early Saturday along the upper Texas-Louisiana coast on a course that could spare Houston and nearby Galveston a direct hit.

But it could plow instead into the oil and chemical centers of Beaumont and Port Arthur, about 75 miles east of Houston.

Texas' emergency management coordinator, Jack Colley, predicted Rita would destroy nearly 5,700 homes in the state and cause $8.2 billion in damage.

Old 09-23-2005, 03:08 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

New Orleans Relives Flooding Nightmare
By MICHELLE ROBERTS and BRETT MARTEL, AP

NEW ORLEANS (Sept. 23) - Hurricane Rita's steady rains sent water pouring through breaches in a patched levee Friday, cascading into one of the city's lowest-lying neighborhoods in a devastating repeat of New Orleans' flooding nightmare.

"Our worst fears came true," said Maj. Barry Guidry of the Georgia National Guard.

"We have three significant breaches in the levee and the water is rising rapidly," he said. "At daybreak I found substantial breaks and they've grown larger."

Dozens of blocks in the Ninth Ward were under water as a waterfall at least 30 feet wide poured over and through a dike that had been used to patch breaks in the Industrial Canal levee. On the street that runs parallel to the canal, the water ran waist-deep and was rising fast. Guidry said water was rising about three inches a minute.

The impoverished neighborhood was one of the areas of the city hit hardest by Katrina's floodwaters and finally had been pumped dry before Hurricane Rita struck.

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/arti...00010000000001
Old 09-23-2005, 03:11 PM   #4
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:59 PM
I'm praying especially hard for Katrina evacuees in Texas...hoping they don't have to stare down a hurricane twice.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Re: The official Hurricane Rita thread

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Breaking news: Water is spilling over the levee and into the 9th ward in New Orleans...
When I left for work this morning, the mother and two small kids from the evacuee family staying with us were already glued to the TV set. I had to bite my lip very hard to keep from saying, Please promise me you won't torture yourselves by watching this all day.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 11:59 AM
I'm just hoping like crazy that things will FINALLY calm down for these people after Rita comes through. They need a freakin' break already. And, of course, I'm hoping that people will be all right, too.

Such awful news regarding the latest flooding in New Orleans, too . What exactly will be left of that city when everything finally calms down? It's going to be scary to discover.

Angela
Old 09-23-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: The official Hurricane Rita thread

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland

When I left for work this morning, the mother and two small kids from the evacuee family staying with us were already glued to the TV set. I had to bite my lip very hard to keep from saying, Please promise me you won't torture yourselves by watching this all day.

i'd love to know more about your experiences with this family.

if you're comfortable, please share -- it would be a great experience for all of us to read.

you're a hero to us all.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #8
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 09:59 AM
I've been praying like mad since yesterday and last night watching the news. My goes out to the Katrina refugees who now are having to re-evacuate (is there such an action?!) and for the poor city of New Orleans! I cannot believe the re-shorign that has been done on the levee is breaking and water is already pouring through!
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM   #9
Blue Crack Supplier

*coverinng eyes*

i don't turn on tv in the morn except on very rare ocasion...for the incredibly good or bad.
Often don't get up with enough time to do so in any case......

Even just listening off & on through out today so far with a walkman I metaphorically just want to cover my eyes!!!!!!

from the evacuees/refugees of K to all people/animals trees & structures in curent harm's way

prayers for strength, help & miracles.......

and an extra for yolland
Old 09-23-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
The Fly

Location: Irving, Texas, USA, Earth, Universe, in the mind of God
Dallas, Texas here, where the panic is on and people are gassing up their cars and buying out all the bottled water available.

(ummm.. yes, I joined in the panic and gassed up my car and filled up my water cooler thingy at home. Five gallons of Irving's finest tap water - run through a filter, of course - at the ready)

What made my heart sink this morning was the news of the evacuation bus that exploded on I-45. Apparently loaded with elderly and their oxygen tanks, something went terribly wrong and the thing blew up.
... Then what made me angry immediately afterward was to see that they shut down ALL lanes of 45 for "the investigation". My God! There's thousands of cars that need to get through, and those geniuses decide to close all the lanes!?

Anyway, there's a definate air of panic and stress in this area.

One of my coworkers walked around with a raod map yesterday as he got continious cell phone calls from a caravan of relatives that were trying to make their way up from Galveston.
He talked them through alternate roads and back roads to avoid the parking lot that is I-45.
They eventually all made it up here at the end of the day, as opposed to all those still stuck in traffic.
He and they are all pretty upset, in that their homes may be wiped away.

Lord have mercy.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:11 PM   #11
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

My folks in San Antonio are now housing 12 members of my family.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

It looks like this thing's going to be serious. Trust me, people in this hurricane's path are in my prayers.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:22 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:59 AM
There is one in every story

Surfer Arrested Off Shore Of Galveston As Rita Approaches

Quote:
A surfer off the shore of Galveston, Texas, was arrested Friday for not adhering to evacuation orders and surfing the large waves created by an approaching Hurricane Rita, according to a Local 6 News report.

The man, who was not identified, was taken into custody by police after coming out of the surf.

Police said he was apparently not taking Rita seriously, attempting to surf off the shore of Galveston.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:26 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by trash con
(ummm.. yes, I joined in the panic and gassed up my car and filled up my water cooler thingy at home. Five gallons of Irving's finest tap water - run through a filter, of course - at the ready)
I wouldn't consider that panic-you did the right thing. You're preparing . Good for you.

Quote:
What made my heart sink this morning was the news of the evacuation bus that exploded on I-45. Apparently loaded with elderly and their oxygen tanks, something went terribly wrong and the thing blew up.
... Then what made me angry immediately afterward was to see that they shut down ALL lanes of 45 for "the investigation". My God! There's thousands of cars that need to get through, and those geniuses decide to close all the lanes!?
Yeah, that is rather dumb. I can understand closing off a small area around the bus, but they've gotta leave some roads open, like you said.

That was such a sad and bizarre story to hear about that busload of people . As if things weren't stressful and depressing enough already.

Quote:
Anyway, there's a definate air of panic and stress in this area.
I don't blame them. I'd be the same way if I lived there. Hopefully people don't panic too much, though, 'cause I've done that when we've gotten severe thunderstorms, and my dad's always reminding me that that won't solve anything, it can just make the situation worse. So while I fully understand them being frightened, I hope everyone can manage some sembelance of calm.

Quote:
One of my coworkers walked around with a raod map yesterday as he got continious cell phone calls from a caravan of relatives that were trying to make their way up from Galveston.
He talked them through alternate roads and back roads to avoid the parking lot that is I-45.
They eventually all made it up here at the end of the day, as opposed to all those still stuck in traffic.
He and they are all pretty upset, in that their homes may be wiped away.
Good to hear they've made it to a safer area...hope that their homes will survive the storm so they can have something to come back to. And hope all goes well with your relatives, too, BVS.

Quote:
Lord have mercy.
No kidding .

Angela
Old 09-23-2005, 04:55 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

They shouldn't have shut down the interstate, for God's sakes. That's ridiculous. I hope everyone makes it out OK.