The official Hurricane Rita thread - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2005, 05:59 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:03 PM
This just like a bad dream that keeps that keeps coming back. My heart goes out to all those people affected.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:10 PM   #17
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Re: There is one in every story

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Surfer Arrested Off Shore Of Galveston As Rita Approaches
Quote:
A surfer off the shore of Galveston, Texas, was arrested Friday for not adhering to evacuation orders and surfing the large waves created by an approaching Hurricane Rita, according to a Local 6 News report.

The man, who was not identified, was taken into custody by police after coming out of the surf.

Police said he was apparently not taking Rita seriously, attempting to surf off the shore of Galveston.
I'm glad they actually arrested the guy. I get tired of seeing these idiots on TV playing in the water with complete disregard for the possibility that they may end up needing to be rescued putting the lives of the rescuers in danger.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:15 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:03 AM

Why don't the Texas and Louisiana/Mississippi governments coordinate one-way, northbound evacuation routes on Interstate 45, and Interstates 55 and 59? We've been doing this in Alabama on Interstate 65 for Alabama Gulf Coast and Florida Panhandle evacuations for several years, and it makes evacuations run much more quickly and smoothly. All usually southbound lanes are converted to northbound during hurricane evacuations from the Gulf Coast (downtown Mobile) up to Montgomery (160 miles north). Having seen all of the gridlock traffic out of Houston the past two days makes it obvious to me this would have helped.

(This is not meant to be a partisan debate. Although Alabama's governor is a Republican, the governors of Mississippi and Texas are also members of the Sith; I am merely wondering why they, along with Governor Blanco [D-LA] didn't coordinate such a plan).

~U2Alabama
Old 09-24-2005, 03:34 AM   #19
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
But it could plow instead into the oil and chemical centers of Beaumont and Port Arthur, about 75 miles east of Houston.
Shit. One of my friends lives in Beaumont. He's evacuated and I've heard from him, but still ... shit.

I haven't exactly been planning on seeing his neighbourhood in the Australian news and I hope I don't see it now.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-24-2005, 08:33 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Sorry Axver, I saw on CNN this morning that Beaumont was getting hit hard I'm sorry about your friend.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

I too have many friends in Beaumont. Spent a good deal of time there during Desert Storm before and after going to Mobile.

My prayers are with them.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:00 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Sorry to hear that, Axver-glad that your friend at least managed to get out and you've heard from him. But a shame about Beaumont .

Hope the people you know there are okay, Dread.

Angela
Old 09-24-2005, 04:38 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:03 PM
It's been downgraded to a tropical storm with 65 mph winds. That's still incredibly strong considering how long its been on land.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:08 AM   #24
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:03 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i'd love to know more about your experiences with this family.

if you're comfortable, please share -- it would be a great experience for all of us to read.
I have thought more than once about posting a little about their experiences and opinions, but ultimately, that is just straying too close for comfort to exploitation territory. If I were in their situation, I don't know how I'd feel about the prospect of my hosts discussing my situation in online forums I knew nothing about.

I will say that having this personal connection to Katrina has made seeing all the partisan grenade-lobbing in here over the past few weeks all the more disheartening. Some of this was inevitable, and a certain amount can even be productive, but what's really depressing is how many members--including some who I would've expected lots better from--apparently think the most important thing about this crisis is whether their political party gets blamed for it or not. I could give fuck less who gets blamed for it, and neither do the evacuees staying with us.

Honestly, situations like this make me wonder if living under a monarchy or "benevolent dictatorship" might not be preferable, because at least then accountability would be unambiguous; no-one would have vested interests in who gets blamed; and the work of figuring out what went wrong and how to fix it could begin immediately, without fears that it will once again become hostage to politics before it even gets off the ground.
Old 09-25-2005, 05:22 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Shit. One of my friends lives in Beaumont. He's evacuated and I've heard from him, but still ... shit.

I haven't exactly been planning on seeing his neighbourhood in the Australian news and I hope I don't see it now.
I've got 3 very good Aussie friends living in Houston, and Dave works in the oil industry. No news yet, hope that means it's good....
Old 09-25-2005, 06:47 AM   #26
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:03 AM
I've heard again from my friend - someone he knows who stayed in the area went past his place and said it has no apparent major damage, just a missing fence. I was very relieved to hear that.

I hope the people the rest of you know are safe and haven't suffered property damage either.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 09-25-2005, 06:50 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:33 PM
Glad to hear that about your friend, Axver.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:17 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050928/...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

Nederland City Manager Andre Wimer said "it's been a terribly frustrating four days" because of problems getting help from the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

"I can appreciate the difficulty in responding to a disaster that was this widespread but at the same time we certainly feel we've not received a level of service that was satisfactory," he said.

Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050929/...E0BHNlYwN0bWE-

"Five days after Hurricane Rita came ashore, conditions remained primitive in parts of Texas, where some residents were taking baths and brushing their teeth using water from the Neches River and others were sleeping in tents.

The plywood sign outside the home in East Texas where eight Beaumont families had sought refuge from Hurricane Rita carried a simple message: "Help Needed. Ice and Water. 43 People."

The evacuees had no electricity and little water or food after the storm. As temperatures neared triple-digits, adults used paper towels dampened with bottled water to keep children from overheating. A campfire was built to keep mosquitoes away.

"The only thing we could think of to survive was to put out that sign," said Tiffany Moten, 24, who was staying at the home near Livingston. "Luckily, we were blessed, and we have a lot of friendly people who came up and brought us water and ice and things like that. We are trying to make it."

The Federal Emergency Management Agency delivered ice, water and packaged meals Wednesday to residents who rode out the storm, but some officials in hard-hit areas criticized the agency's response, with one calling for a commission to examine the emergency response."
Old 09-29-2005, 03:20 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Man, those poor people.... Hope they get the help and good shelter they need very soon.

Axver, that's wonderful news regarding your friend .

Angela