The official Election Day 2006 thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

Speaking as someone who voted straight Republican ticket except one official write-in independent, I agree. By voting Republican, I was voting for whom I feel is the less "sucky" of the two parties. Evidently, the majority of voting America did not agree with me, and felt that it was time for a change. I think that many would have voted for Pee Wee Herman instead of the Republicans. How bad they must have failed in ordre for that to be true. Idiots started out with a Republican majority and did absolutely nothing. They only have themselves to blame for this loss.

The one consolation I have is that, for the most part, it was moderate and conservative Dems who made the gains, not liberals like Pelosi, Feinstein, and Kennedy (although even "moderate" is too liberal for me).

The biggest disappointment for me during this entire election is that South Dakota had it within their grasp to end the murder of babies in their state and voted it down. That breaks my heart and makes my blood boil at the same time.

Very much my sentiments.
As a Republican I'm disappointed that it came to this. Basically a vote of "no confidence" on Bush and the GOP. But as an ideologue I'm encouraged. Democrats ousted incumbents by running moderate to conservative candidates much more in tune with my values and positions (and most Americans), than those of the Pelosi/Kennedy wing of the Democratic party.

Yesterday was a good day for Democrats, not for liberalism. Americans voted for change---what they did not vote for was gun control, higher taxes, bigger government, open borders, candidates any less religious or same-sex marriage.

Montana threw out a corrupt, run-at-the-mouth Republican to send a 3rd generation rancher with a crew-cut and missing 3 fingers lost in a meat-grinder to the senate.
Sounds like my kinda guy.

U2democrat said:
:ohmy:
AP: Republican officials say Defense Secretary Rumsfeld stepping down.
:ohmy:

:shocked: Can this week just stop being awesome for even a few hours??? I'm tired of shitting fireworks in excitement.

OMG I can't believe it. I CAN'T BELIEVE IT! New U2 song, Dems rockin The House, and now Rummy peacin out??????

wooo!!!! aside from the fact that I only had an hour and a half of sleep last night and failed all my tests in school today THIS WEEK ROCKS.

I did a lot of campaigning for Massachusetts republicans this year, but I'm VERY happy that the dems have got it back in the house and senate!

I'm going to the Hague in 2 months to the ICC.

Maybe I'll see Rumsfeld there! :wink:

INDY500 said:

Yesterday was a good day for Democrats, not for liberalism. Americans voted for change---what they did not vote for was gun control, higher taxes, bigger government, open borders, candidates any less religious or same-sex marriage.

not totally true -- voters voted against restrictions on a woman's rights to choose, they voted for science, and in AZ they voted against homophobia.

anitram said:
The South Dakota (abortion) and Missouri (stem cell research) amendments were huge wins, wonderful news. Yay!

Yay! South Dakota had it in their grasp to stop the murder of babies and they didn't do it! Yay!

INDY500 said:

Same could be said for the right as well; you haven't voted for morals, ending abortion, smaller government, etc...

Let's be honest with ourselves.

deep said:
If Lieberman goes to defense

than GOP appoints GOP Senator?

even though CT is indigo blue, they have a Republican governor, her name escapes me (just how she somehow escaped being damaged by Rowland's imprisonment), so i wonder if that's what will happen since i would surmise (though i don't know) that's how the process works.

though i'd be a slap to the Connecticuttians, as the Republican Senate candidate was barely a blip on the state's radar.

i would be fine with Lieberman as SecOD.

INDY500 said:

Good point, and the result was...?

as a side note, homophobic bans on marriage equality are losing more and more steam as a wedge issue. while it did pass in VA with 57%, which is considerable, it did not pass with a 60%+ margin like it did in states that had it on the ballot during the 2004 election.

and the amendment will be repealed in 10 years. as will most of them.

or, there will be very successful Civil Union options in a majority of states in the not-so-distant future.

Irvine511 said:

as a side note, homophobic bans on marriage equality are losing more and more steam as a wedge issue. while it did pass in VA with 57%, which is considerable, it did not pass with a 60%+ margin like it did in states that had it on the ballot during the 2004 election.

and the amendment will be repealed in 10 years. as will most of them.

or, there will be very successful Civil Union options in a majority of states in the not-so-distant future.

Well, let's see the internals on who voted yesterday before we jump to that conclusion. Remember, conventional wisdom was that GOP scandal and Mark Foley might cause evangelicals and other members of "the base" to stay home this election.

As a side note, the bans are not homophobic, they're traditionphilic

Last edited:
Lieberman won't be SecOD, it's former CIA chief Robert Gates.

Senate still 50-49 waiting on VA which will most likely go...I can't believe I'm saying this...Democrat...

namkcuR said:
Has a winner been declared in Virginia yet?

No. But from what was said just minutes ago on cnn, things look very promising. Their legal analyst, Jeffrey Toobin commented that he has never seen anyone in any election make up a 7,000 vote deficit, not even close. He also added that VA's voting machines are electronic, with no paper trail, so recounting is merely a matter of looking at the numbers that are on the machines, and going over them again. So, unless someone's calculator was badly malfunctioning last night, things sound good. :up:

It's just a matter of time before Webb is the official winner. Nov. 27th is when it will be certified, and Allen can ask for a recount after that. I'm glad my Va. vote for Webb mattered so much in the big picture.

Back
Top Bottom