The official Election Day 2006 thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
zepher25 said:
OH THIS WILL BE SWEET IF THE DEMS WIN- i so wanna see GWBs reaction if it happens, what is the likely hood of an impeachment if the dems take both houses do you think?

I hope the Dems don't attempt to impeach Bush. As much as I hate him, I think it would be a total waste of resources and energy. The world needs the US to get back on track and leave the petty politics behind. Focus on constructive policies which improve life for all US citizens and the world as a whole.

Looks like Webb's lead has grown again to about 8000 . It was over 12000 about an hour ago.

Last edited:
trevster2k said:
I hope the Dems don't attempt to impeach Bush. As much as I hate him, I think it would be a total waste of resources and energy. The world needs the US to get back on track and leave the petty politics behind. Focus on constructive policies which improve life for all US citizens and the world as a whole.
Yeah, chances of that are close to nil I think--Pelosi has already publically dismissed the possibility. Besides, that would make Cheney President if it succeeded. :uhoh: Which I can't imagine it would.

It's gonna be a long ugly haul no matter what...but anything that divisive and aggressive would be virtually guaranteed to backfire badly on the Dems at this point.

I really cannot imagine the Democrats bothering to impeach Bush. He's a severely lame duck now. (I know from precedent it is possible that Republicans think that every party who seizes control after being a long time out of power wants to squander the first several years trying to impeach the opposition President, lol) I do suspect some investigations will go down.

When the Republicans took control of the House in 1995, they had been out of power there for, like, 40 years. I can understand their giddiness in thinking they'd just been anointed. The Democrats haven't been out of power that long so they don't have that excuse.

And I hope the Democrats are a lot cleverer this time around. The voters didn't vote for Democrats. They voted for change. The Democrats didn't win the House as much as the GOP lost it.
And the Democrats have a very small window of opportunity to show that they are going to be a party for change, not rhetoric.
And I suggest they spend the next couple of weeks laying out a cohesive plan. The Democrats didn't run on a cohesive plan, but they're going to have to legislate with one.

The voters just flexed their political muscle and I think they liked it. I doubt if they are going to be very patient and I don't think they'll hesitate to toss out the Democrats too if they are nothing more than shallow words. OK, election nights are the nights for dumb, shallow speeches, so I'll give them a pass for a day or two. But I haven't been particularly happy with the Democrats' statements so far. They've had 12 years to regroup and we better see the fruits of that pretty quickly. You can't talk change. You have to effect it and I think they will be under scrutiny to effect it and they don't have too much time to do it. They have the voters' interest now. They best maintain it. They're going to have to work up the country with a vision. The country was hungry for a vision. They were willing to take a bad vision than no vision at all. The country is still hungry.

Don't blow it.

Last edited:
I didn't stay up last night to watch the election coverage, so today is like Christmas morning. :happy:

Though I feel a bit guilty because I didn't vote... :uhoh:

Ormus said:
Indiana is the big shocker for me. A traditionally conservative state that just ousted all their incumbent Republican representatives for Democrats.
Oh, not all of them--just the three races that were considered competitive (and the Dems did hold onto Indy and northwest Indiana, as expected). The other four Republicans did hold onto their seats, although their candidate in the northeast (the district anchored by Fort Wayne) didn't win by much. I think (Gov.) Mitch Daniels' general unpopularity has a lot to do with it, especially in the Donnelly/Chocola race (north-central)--the fact that Donnelly's an ND grad and South Bend anchors that district probably didn't hurt, either. The big surprise was the southwest, really--that district is notorious for cliffhangers and everyone expected this time would be no different, but the Democrat (Ellsworth) won by almost 23%, which was pretty much a trouncing compared to what was expected.

Lugar (R) did get re-elected to the Senate, but that was a foregone conclusion since there was no Democrat running; and even if there had been, he's got big-time name recognition on his side and Hoosiers are suckers for that, regardless of party. In the unlikely event that Evan Bayh (D) becomes a serious Presidential contender, I'm inclined to predict he'd carry the state easily.

I will be so depressed if Allen wins :|

(AP)Democrat Keith Ellison was elected as the nation's first Muslim member of Congress on Tuesday, easily winning a Minneapolis-area district Republicans had not carried since 1962.

Ellison, who is black, is also Minnesota's first nonwhite representative in Washington. He said those things were only of secondary importance.

"I think the most important thing about this race is we tried to pull people together on things we all share, things that are important to everyone. We all need peace, and this Iraq policy is dangerous to our country," said Ellison, who has called for immediate withdrawal of U.S. troops.

Ellison said his campaign united labor, minority communities, peace activists. "We were able to bring in Muslims, Christians, Jews, Buddhists," he said. "We brought in everybody."

Ellison focused on issues that resonate in the urban, liberal-leaning 5th District in Minneapolis. By favoring gay rights and legal abortion, Ellison cut a path away from many Muslims.

Hayat Hassan, 30, a single mother and a Muslim, said she voted for Ellison because of his positions on health care and education.

"I didn't even know he was a Muslim until one of his campaign workers told me," she said.

The seat was thrown open when longtime Rep. Martin Sabo said he would retire after 28 years. The Minneapolis-centered district is the most Democratic-leaning in the state; in 2004 seven of 10 voters went for John Kerry for president. That meant the real battle was the September primary, and Ellison, the endorsed Democrat, beat several strong candidates in that race, including Sabo's former chief of staff Mike Erlandson.

On Tuesday he beat Republican Alan Fine and the Independence Party's Tammy Lee.

Mahdi Bray, executive director of the Muslim American Society, compared an Ellison victory to Edward Brooke's election in 1966 as the first black senator since the 1870s.

He said Muslims followed the campaign closely, and that they are more excited about seeing a Muslim in Congress than they are concerned about Ellison's strong liberal views.

"We are monotheistic, but we are not monolithic. There are things within our own community that we disagree about," he said. Ellison's views "might be a concern but I think the overall factor of having a Muslim voice in Congress overrides those types of concerns."

Ellison's campaign had to deal with reports of overdue parking tickets, late campaign finance reports and unpaid taxes. He also faced questions about anti-Semitism because of past ties with the Nation of Islam, a black Muslim group led by the confrontational Louis Farrakhan.

Ellison, a criminal defense attorney who converted to Islam as a college student, denounced Farrakhan, and he won the endorsement of a Minneapolis Jewish newspaper.

:yawn:

Morning all :wave:

Why in the world did my ancient philosophy professor schedule a quiz on Aristotle at 10am? Seriously. I can't study or think clearly right now.

Last I saw Webb has a lead of almost 9,000. If he can hold onto that through the recount...wow. Cross your fingers. Same with Montana.

they're spinning conspiracy theories about electronic voting on Fox News -- though they claim their theories are far more credible than democratic theories from 2004.

and they all look devastated and are trying to whip up some hope for MT.

it's all very interesting.

Irvine511 said:
they're spinning conspiracy theories about electronic voting on Fox News -- though they claim their theories are far more credible than democratic theories from 2004.

and they all look devastated and are trying to whip up some hope for MT.

it's all very interesting.

:rolleyes: great...

:applaud: for Webb so far.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if ever there was a time for a moderate, third party candidate for president, 2008 is that time.

The Democrats in a lot of states have shifted towards the center in recent years. So they are in fact moderate and attract many independent voters. Webb is an example.

2 years ago if you had told me that Virginia would be the deciding factor over whether or not the Dems would have control over the Senate, I would have laughed.

This is crazy.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
if ever there was a time for a moderate, third party candidate for president, 2008 is that time.

All we can do is hope. As long as there are nothing but Rep. and Dem. this country is doomed. So what if every couple years the people are so mad at one they decide to go for the other and then act like they won the Kewpie doll the side that was not in control at the time came back and took power. In two more years, they'll hate them and want the other guys back. I goes in cycles. Whomever is in power will be hated, because they are blamed for all the current problems, and whomever is not at the time will be hailed as the conquering heroes come to save us! But in the end, we all lose. Because both parties suck, and have failed us all terribly. Don't be fooled into thinking this is any kind of 'victory.' :tsk:

Butterscotch said:

Because both parties suck, and have failed us all terribly.

Speaking as someone who voted straight Republican ticket except one official write-in independent, I agree. By voting Republican, I was voting for whom I feel is the less "sucky" of the two parties. Evidently, the majority of voting America did not agree with me, and felt that it was time for a change. I think that many would have voted for Pee Wee Herman instead of the Republicans. How bad they must have failed in ordre for that to be true. Idiots started out with a Republican majority and did absolutely nothing. They only have themselves to blame for this loss.

The one consolation I have is that, for the most part, it was moderate and conservative Dems who made the gains, not liberals like Pelosi, Feinstein, and Kennedy (although even "moderate" is too liberal for me).

The biggest disappointment for me during this entire election is that South Dakota had it within their grasp to end the murder of babies in their state and voted it down. That breaks my heart and makes my blood boil at the same time.

U2democrat said:
2 years ago if you had told me that Virginia would be the deciding factor over whether or not the Dems would have control over the Senate, I would have laughed.

This is crazy.

:lol:

The Dems have control of the House, may get control of the Senate(though I think the Republicans are going to stay in control), Massachusetts has it's first Democratic governor in 16 years, and Rick Santorum is out of office. It's a good day. :up:

The South Dakota (abortion) and Missouri (stem cell research) amendments were huge wins, wonderful news. Yay!

DSCC has declared victory. Right move. That's what Bush did in 2000, acted like he was the President and pushed forward. Declare victory and don't look back.

Back
Top Bottom