The official Election Day 2006 thread! - Page 25 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-09-2006, 05:48 PM   #361
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

What? No mention of Clinton's ATF, which spear-headed the whole David Koresh fiasco, which ended in the deaths of dozens of innocent men, women and children?

Or how about Reno authorizing the feds' illegal armed entry of the house of Elian Gonzales on Easter weekend, pointing a gun in the child's face, and taking him crying and screaming away from the only people he knew in the entire USA - no mention of that?

Or how about Clinton sending troops to Somalia on a "peace-keeping" mission, not allowing them to fire back. How about those 12 soldiers that were killed there and dragged through the streets. How about the fact that Clinton did not retaliate for that?

You're looking at the Clinton Admin through Rose-colored glasses; there's no doubt about that.
I was talking about one of the POSITIVE Action that President Clinton did.......there's stuff I DEF disagreed about. in his actions over the years.
I was highing a postive contrast between how CLINTON"s FEMA probably would have handled Huricaine Katrina, NOT debating his negatives - since that wasn't the point of my particular conversation. to Butterscotch.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM   #362
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:42 PM
Jim Webb is on Larry King Live right now!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:19 PM   #363
War Child

It is indeed a beautiful day. Congratulations to all who gave their time, money and enthusiasm to secure this victory. As my friend in Italy said, "the world breathes easier tonight".
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #364
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready

thanks
You're welcome. Reading over my post I made some dumb mistakes like the President will have to work with the President, but you got the gist.

It was an ungodly hour of the morning.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #365
Blue Crack Addict

80s do you actually believe it was in the best interest of Elian Gonzalez, the child, to be taken away from his immediate family?

I grew up in a Communist state. Parents there loved their children just as much. And I found it loathsome to suggest that he should be taken from his own father, who loved him and provided him with a loving home, in the name of political ideology. What a terrifying concept.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #366
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
80s do you actually believe it was in the best interest of Elian Gonzalez, the child, to be taken away from his immediate family?

I grew up in a Communist state. Parents there loved their children just as much. And I found it loathsome to suggest that he should be taken from his own father, who loved him and provided him with a loving home, in the name of political ideology. What a terrifying concept.
There were reports that the father didn't see Elian much when he lived in Cuba. His mother died trying to get him to freedom in America. If I recall correctly, the US offered the Father amnesty here in the states, which he turned down. That father was being selfish; any good father would wanted freedom for his son, even if it meant he could never see him again. Or maybe it was Castro pulling the Dad's strings.

Besides, what Reno ordered - an armed entry of the house was illegal. Armed entry is not permitted by the Feds unless there is imminent and reasonable fear of danger. The relatives hadn't rpovided any reason for those Feds to fear their lives were in danger.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM   #367
Blue Crack Addict

What a very ethnocentric view.

The father did have contact with Elian in Cuba - he was most certainly not estranged. Elian's mother committed an illegal act by taking the child out of jurisdiction which nearly killed him. She most certainly did not have clean hands nor did she act in his best interest.

"Freedom" in America. What an ethnocentric view. I'm just glad nobody thought to liberate me from the loving home of my parents for freedom in America. And guess what? We turned out to be just as upstanding as everyone else, more educated than your average American, and so on. Despite the horrid selfishness of our parents for keeping us in Communism.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:46 PM   #368
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
What a very ethnocentric view.
Not ethnocentric at all. It's a freedom-loving view. If the boy had been taken to any free country to get him away from an oppressive government headed by an insane dictator, I would have supported the relatives wanting to keep him, not just America.

Viva La Freedom!

Quote:
The father did have contact with Elian in Cuba - he was most certainly not estranged.
So you say, but there are other reports which say the opposite, as well.

Quote:
She most certainly did not have clean hands nor did she act in his best interest.
She was acting in his best interests.

Quote:
Despite the horrid selfishness of our parents for keeping us in Communism.
Your parents probably weren't acting from selfishness by keeping you in Communism. They probably had no choice - as you know, Communist countries don't like it when people try to leave.

However, in Elian's case, the child was already over here, in the care of loving relatives. The dad didn't say "wow, my child is experiencing a free life right now"...he said "I must bring my child back home to me, no matter that he will have to grow up under the rule of an oppressive communist dictator". I call that selfishness.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:51 PM   #369
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Well, did you ever consider how Elian's mother would answer that question?
Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #370
Blue Crack Addict

A woman who would take a 5 year old child into open water in essentially a dinghy boat, without informing or consulting his other legal guardian, and expose that child to a high risk of foreseeable harm is not acting in the child's best interest. She was criminally negligent.

If this was an American mother who did that and it went before American courts, she would lose custody immediately and rightfully so.

And as for this:

Quote:
Your parents probably weren't acting from selfishness by keeping you in Communism. They probably had no choice - as you know, Communist countries don't like it when people try to leave.
Wrong. I lived in one where you could leave. So I guess you should have come and liberated me.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #371
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

What? No mention of Clinton's ATF, which spear-headed the whole David Koresh fiasco, which ended in the deaths of dozens of innocent men, women and children?

Or how about Reno authorizing the feds' illegal armed entry of the house of Elian Gonzales on Easter weekend, pointing a gun in the child's face, and taking him crying and screaming away from the only people he knew in the entire USA - no mention of that?

Or how about Clinton sending troops to Somalia on a "peace-keeping" mission, not allowing them to fire back. How about those 12 soldiers that were killed there and dragged through the streets. How about the fact that Clinton did not retaliate for that?

You're looking at the Clinton Admin through Rose-colored glasses; there's no doubt about that.
George Bush sent the Marines into Somalia, the withdrawl of troops following the incident was a bad call; it proved to the Jihadists that their idea the USA is a paper tiger was right and shaped the strategy of incremental provocation to September 11 and the goals of the groups in Iraq and Afghanistan today.

I don't disagree with any particular point of the post but Bush hasn't done to much better - there needed to be a legal framework for dealing with illegal combatants and terrorists caught outside of the country (although worth pointing out rendition was carried out on Islamic terrorists under Clinton) - get on to dealing with the bastards without having a backlog of unresolved legal issues.

The criticisms of big government policies and anti-freedom laws that are made against Clinton can just as validly be made against Bush, and under two party systems the lowest common denominator rule ensures they will hang around.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:56 AM   #372
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
A woman who would take a 5 year old child into open water in essentially a dinghy boat, without informing or consulting his other legal guardian, and expose that child to a high risk of foreseeable harm is not acting in the child's best interest. She was criminally negligent.

If this was an American mother who did that and it went before American courts, she would lose custody immediately and rightfully so.

Of course, because Cuba is no different from the United States, and no one in their right mind would ever have any reason to leave Cuba, right?

I really don't know much about the specific situation of Elian, but I think it would be a bit naive to presume that every Cuban that has put their 5 year old child onto a boat and into the difficult circumstances of fleeing Cuba, did not have a legitamite reason to do so.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:48 AM   #373
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Well, did you ever consider how Elian's mother would answer that question?
I don't recall her ever saying anything about it
Old 11-10-2006, 08:56 AM   #374
Blue Crack Addict

OK foks, if you want to talk about Elian, start a new thread, don't derail this one
Old 11-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #375
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
It is indeed a beautiful day. Congratulations to all who gave their time, money and enthusiasm to secure this victory. As my friend in Italy said, "the world breathes easier tonight".

I'm not only happy for Us in the USA, I am happy for the whole world.
We have a lot of damage to undo. But the changes that will help bring the changes here & then into the larger world - the work begins now. : )

and thanks for your thanks

najeen--- I don't know if you ever saw on-line the "i'm sorry" website from us Americans that came online within days of the 2004 USA election.....but there were many of us.