The official Election Day 2006 thread!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

Speaking as someone who voted straight Republican ticket except one official write-in independent, I agree. By voting Republican, I was voting for whom I feel is the less "sucky" of the two parties. Evidently, the majority of voting America did not agree with me, and felt that it was time for a change. I think that many would have voted for Pee Wee Herman instead of the Republicans. How bad they must have failed in ordre for that to be true. Idiots started out with a Republican majority and did absolutely nothing. They only have themselves to blame for this loss.

The one consolation I have is that, for the most part, it was moderate and conservative Dems who made the gains, not liberals like Pelosi, Feinstein, and Kennedy (although even "moderate" is too liberal for me).

The biggest disappointment for me during this entire election is that South Dakota had it within their grasp to end the murder of babies in their state and voted it down. That breaks my heart and makes my blood boil at the same time.

I agree, all anyone thought was we want 'change' but like you say they would have voted Pee Wee Herman just to get something different. But it is not different, it's the same old guard recycled again and again, it only depends on who's the pariah of the moment, then they vote the other way. In the end, nothing changes, and there is nothing to celebrate. We ALL lose. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and the ones before that, and back again, in circles, going nowhere.

Butterscotch said:

I agree, all anyone thought was we want 'change' but like you say they would have voted Pee Wee Herman just to get something different. But it is not different, it's the same old guard recycled again and again, it only depends on who's the pariah of the moment, then they vote the other way. In the end, nothing changes, and there is nothing to celebrate. We ALL lose. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, and the ones before that, and back again, in circles, going nowhere.

Wow...you're more of the glass is half empty types, eh?

But if the future seems so bleak, then why bother voting at all? Why even run for office?

redhotswami said:

But if the future seems so bleak, then why bother voting at all? Why even run for office?

I didn't and I won't. Not as long as all we have are Rep. and Dem.

BonosSaint said:
I really cannot imagine the Democrats bothering to impeach Bush. He's a severely lame duck now. (I know from precedent it is possible that Republicans think that every party who seizes control after being a long time out of power wants to squander the first several years trying to impeach the opposition President, lol) I do suspect some investigations will go down.

When the Republicans took control of the House in 1995, they had been out of power there for, like, 40 years. I can understand their giddiness in thinking they'd just been anointed. The Democrats haven't been out of power that long so they don't have that excuse.

And I hope the Democrats are a lot cleverer this time around. The voters didn't vote for Democrats. They voted for change. The Democrats didn't win the House as much as the GOP lost it.
And the Democrats have a very small window of opportunity to show that they are going to be a party for change, not rhetoric.
And I suggest they spend the next couple of weeks laying out a cohesive plan. The Democrats didn't run on a cohesive plan, but they're going to have to legislate with one.

The voters just flexed their political muscle and I think they liked it. I doubt if they are going to be very patient and I don't think they'll hesitate to toss out the Democrats too if they are nothing more than shallow words. OK, election nights are the nights for dumb, shallow speeches, so I'll give them a pass for a day or two. But I haven't been particularly happy with the Democrats' statements so far. They've had 12 years to regroup and we better see the fruits of that pretty quickly. You can't talk change. You have to effect it and I think they will be under scrutiny to effect it and they don't have too much time to do it. They have the voters' interest now. They best maintain it. They're going to have to work up the country with a vision. The country was hungry for a vision. They were willing to take a bad vision than no vision at all. The country is still hungry.

Don't blow it.

agree with every word of this post. :up:

I'm reeeeally excited about the results of this election, but I'm already nervous to see whether they can actually- say- put together a cohesive image/policy? I know that'd be a lot to ask of them. :rolleyes:

Still this combined with rummy stepping down is certainly refreshing. :D

U2democrat said:
Pressure is being put on Allen by republicans to concede. :up:

It would be nice if he did, just to kill any lingering anxiety I(and many others) might have.

We got the Senate and the House back.

Now we just need the White House back.

U2democrat said:
Pressure is being put on Allen by republicans to concede. :up:

:ohmy:

wow, u2d!!! and Helllllooooo!!!
I got here about 20 mins ago.....and rachel Maddow {air america} was talking to someone in Web's campaign {i think} and he was explaining how the canvasing process will work.
This must have come in later...but she was in the middle of the interview that started around 7:15P.

but, shit, if he does concede...............

I wanted to get here soooooooo much earlier today to Celebrate, but i'm getting over a sinus thing and it's all windy and rainy here.
I couldn't ake it anymore had to come and celebrate!

:hyper: :lock: :hyper:
:happy:....:eeklaugh:....:happy:

and
i only had time to read this page and can't read the whole
thread tonight {i am at libraRY}

but i can see already that some of you are WAYYYYYYYY too cynical ! :tsk:

:wink:

Last edited:
heyyyy dazzled :wave:

Quote from Bay Buchanan:
If this thing were to just flip, and ended up George Allen winning it, you're gonna have resentment going on across this country, it's gonna be deeply felt as if we stole the Senate, not only that particular seat but the Senate itself.

From the Hotline:
November 08, 2006
Republicans Will Pressure Allen... Soon
Top Republicans in Washington will give Sen. George Allen a few days to take stock of his legal and political options before beginning to pressure him to concede to James Webb. Senior Republican officials and White House aides believe that Webb won the race. Several outside advisers to Allen want him to make the decision quickly; others in his campaign want to make sure that there's no chance a cache of new votes will turn up. One question: when will (will?) the AP call the race? [MARC AMBINDER]

Posted at 05:23 PM

happydance3.gif
happydance3.gif
happydance3.gif

I simply cannot convey how elated I am right now through a blue screen...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hyper::happy::rockon::D as;ldkfjarohig poiajns d;lkj

I remember seeing Webb behind by 9000 votes with 96% of the votes counted, then all of a sudden, it changed just like that. Then McCaskill overtook Talent in Missouri. It was so outrageous because I was about to go to bed thinking the Senate was lost to Democrats. What a week!

Yup. It's true. Allen has conceded the race, Webb wins, and the Democrats now control both the House and the Senate.

The GOP's 12 year reign of terror in the Legislature has come to an abrupt end. :wink:

I really didn't think Webb could win until last Thursday. Web had 2 rallies, one with Barack Obama another with Michael J. Fox and Wesley Clark with thousands of cheering supporters. Allen spent his time shaking hands with people at a cigarette factory. It was at that point I felt that Webb could win.

AND HE DID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, what nice news to wake up to here in India. :D

Looks like my little absentee ballot with Webb's name on it may have actually made a difference in the grand scheme of things. What a great feeling!

Congrats, U2dem...I'm sure you're on a high that you won't come down from for a while. :)

Congrats to all you democrats across the pond :D

I am truly so happy for you :dance:

Back
Top Bottom