The Nobel - should we even take it seriously? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2006, 10:54 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Then try this "racist" link

http://www.thebody.com/schoofs/africa4.html

To many Africans, this was one more sign that nothing about Western thinking could be trusted, including science. Based on the media reports, many Africans dismissed the research as just another tool to denigrate their culture. "In France you eat frogs and oysters, which to us is very strange," says Léopold Zekeng, director of Cameroon's national HIV research program. Eating monkeys and apes, he says, "is part of our culture." Portraying it as barbaric could backfire, Zekeng warns: "Politicians could close up and say, 'We don't want you to do research because you might come out with findings that lead to more discrimination.' "

where's the sex with monkeys, mac, WHERE'S THE SEX WITH MONKEYS!?!?!?!?

Old 09-19-2006, 11:14 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Normal

Quote:
Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases.
Having actually lived in the "3rd world" for most of my life, Africa for two years, and as someone in a committed relationship with an African, I have to say that I find such statements insensitive at best and racist at worst. Perhaps you should give serious consideration to the ramifications of such claims before you make them in what is intended to be a multi-cultural forum. At the very least, if you feel compelled to make what is bound to be an inflammatory statement please have the decency to back it up with real statistics and not just hearsay. Ultimately, I have to wonder how such a contribution would add any value to a serious discussion rather than reinforce negative stereotypes.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:24 PM
Quote:
If Carter didn't overthrow the Shah of Iran without a just cause, we wouldn't have had the Iran-Contra affair in the first place.

I don't know what all of this stuff about Carter overthrowing the Shah of Iran is. For your information, the Shah of Iran had one of the most notorious secret police operations in the history of that shameful institution, SAVAK. If the U.S. hadn't overthrown a democratically elected government in Iran to install the Shah that country would be a democracy, not a theocracy like it is.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #79
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Was your sex with monkeys BS just a chance to spread some homophobia and racism, or do you have evidence?
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #80
Blue Crack Addict

Nobel prize to sex with monkeys-this might be the all time FYM winner for an agenda driven stretch.

How did that happen? I could go back and read but on second thought..
Old 09-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 09:24 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76

I don't know what all of this stuff about Carter overthrowing the Shah of Iran is. For your information, the Shah of Iran had one of the most notorious secret police operations in the history of that shameful institution, SAVAK. If the U.S. hadn't overthrown a democratically elected government in Iran to install the Shah that country would be a democracy, not a theocracy like it is.
The Shah did have a history of human rights abuses. But they were not a threat to us when Carter was in office. As a result of his unneccessary overthrowing, they are a threat to us. Their leader is writing to President Bush asking him if he's sure he doesn't want to convert to Islam. I hope war with Iran is not inevitable.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #82
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

Having actually lived in the "3rd world" for most of my life, Africa for two years, and as someone in a committed relationship with an African, I have to say that I find such statements insensitive at best and racist at worst. Perhaps you should give serious consideration to the ramifications of such claims before you make them in what is intended to be a multi-cultural forum. At the very least, if you feel compelled to make what is bound to be an inflammatory statement please have the decency to back it up with real statistics and not just hearsay. Ultimately, I have to wonder how such a contribution would add any value to a serious discussion rather than reinforce negative stereotypes.
I love all these wild accusations, even coming from a mod.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_A...161152,00.html

Quote:
Johannesburg - The National Societies for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NSPCA) says it is horrified at claims that having sex with an animal prevents people from getting Aids. The organisation says bestiality neither prevents Aids nor is it a cure for the deadly disease.
All the more reason to believe that the Jesse Jacksons on the left are the new Joe McCarthy.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:51 PM   #83
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
I love all these wild accusations, even coming from mods.

All the more reason to believe that the Jesse Jacksons on the left are the new Joe McCarthy.

did you even read the article?

it said that some people are fucking goats because they don't have HIV, not that people are having sex with monkeys to cure themseves of HIV.

shall we talk about bestiality on American farms?

you've yet to show a shred of evidence for ANY of your wild claims and your racist, homophobic aspersions you've cast upon Africans, African-Americans, and homosexuals.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #84
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Never mind, I guess goat-plonking prepubescents will do well enough.

This thread is losing direction fast. Please get back to directly Nobel Prize-related topics...if there's anything more of a constructive nature to be said there. Otherwise...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-19-2006, 03:54 PM   #85
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Never mind, I guess goat-plonking prepubescents will do well enough.

This thread is losing direction fast. Please get back to directly Nobel Prize-related topics...if there's anything more of a constructive nature to be said there. Otherwise...
Thank you.

It has lost direction, and has led to ruthless accusations.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:57 PM   #86
She's the One

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
and has led to ruthless accusations.
Tell us about it.
Old 09-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #87
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 02:24 PM
Quote:
Well, considering this latest tangent started with you saying that "Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases..." which implies something a wee bit broader than a few kids availing themselves of goats, that was probably to be expected, no?

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 09-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #88
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
I love all these wild accusations, even coming from a mod.
I read the article and nowhere does it reference the idea that having sex with a monkey would cure a disease which was your original statement. What I said was that the comment was hurtful and could be construed as contributing to racist stereotypes. I didn't tell you you couldn't post it nor did I try to "censor" you. I am at a complete loss as to how this could possibly constitute a "wild accusation". All I ask is that you try to honestly put yourself in the place of others and think about your words before you post them. I'm saying this as a fellow human being as well as a mod.

As regards the original topic of the thread, I do take the Nobel Peace Prize seriously.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:49 PM   #89
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:24 AM
Quote:
Oh, I'm biting my tongue!!!

But, thank you Yolland for at least pointing it out to him.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:00 PM   #90
She's the One

Local Time: 05:24 AM
Quote:
ruthless accusations.
Which you can't back up.