The Nobel - should we even take it seriously? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 11:30 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 04:06 PM
Yes, the Nobel is important. It gets you in the door, it gets people reading about why it was won, when they probably wouldn't have any interest otherwise. It's like Time Magazine's 'Person of the Year' hoopla...the only time of the year when you'll see Mary Hart or Extra! talk about famine, or some other pressing global issue.

It's sad, but also a fact, that when your lights are up on a marquee, people will pause, and say "wuhhh?"

There's merit in that.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #62
Refugee

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i feel like i'm in Paris, and i'm hearing a group of loud Americans complaining about the lack of ice cubes in the coca-cola, oh, and the bathroom was really small back in the hotel, and i'm wishing i had a bright red Maple Leaf handy.

I spent four years of the best years of my life in Paris. I'm sorry if you spent any time listing to groups of loud Americans

Old 09-19-2006, 01:32 AM   #63
Refugee

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

It's been noted that oppressed minorities tend to work exponentially harder to try and prove their worth to the majority, who tend to be more complacent and drunk with power. Having dealt with 2,000 years of hatred, that could very well explain why Jews seem so disproportionately successful. It became a coping mechanism, and quite an advantageous one in the end.

Melon

I appreciate the intelligent response. One that does not resort to vitriol.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Westport

One that does not resort to vitriol.
Or loaded and implied questions? Yeah, it is nice.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #65
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Westport

I spent four years of the best years of my life in Paris. I'm sorry if you spent any time listing to groups of loud Americans

did they know why there weren't more Muslim nobel prize winners?

the attitudes you've expressed in this thread are the FYM equivalent of a boorish tourist.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:35 AM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

So heterosexual sex is different in developing countries?
You're twisting words, and you know it. Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases. That was my point on why you're WRONG for ignoring our national statistics and only resorting to global statistics. As much as you might hate to admit it, you are throwing in societies that belong in ancient civilizaitons.

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
And you consider all of this Nobel Peace prize worthy?
If Carter didn't overthrow the Shah of Iran without a just cause, we wouldn't have had the Iran-Contra affair in the first place.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by LPU2
Reagan, given the Nobel Peace Price for his star wars missile defense program. *LOL*
Please defend this statement.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #68
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a Norwegian committee, and Norway is about as leftist of a country as it gets.
Exactly. I met a Norwegian exchange student in high school who thought detention was outrageous.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #69
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
[B]You're twisting words, and you know it. Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases. That was my point on why you're WRONG for ignoring our national statistics and only resorting to global statistics. As much as you might hate to admit it, you are throwing in societies that belong in ancient civilizaitons.

hey, Mac, for once, could you at the very least MAKE A CITATION whenever you're going to trot out racist nonsense like this?
Old 09-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
Mac, will you feel differently if Bono ever wins it?
No.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #71
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

hey, Mac, for once, could you at the very least MAKE A CITATION whenever you're going to trot out racist nonsense like this?
Yeah Irvine, I'm such a racist.

http://www.prb.org/Template.cfm?Sect...ontentID=12346
Old 09-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #72
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Yeah Irvine, I'm such a racist.

http://www.prb.org/Template.cfm?Sect...ontentID=12346
'

this link has to do with African-Americans.

show me the part where it says that people are having sex with monkeys.

and this completely shoots to hell your earlier assertion that only gay people get HIV in the US.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:49 AM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/youth.htm

HIV/AIDS in 2004

The following are based on data from the 35 areas with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting.*

An estimated 4,883 young people received a diagnosis of HIV infection or AIDS, representing about 13% of the persons given a diagnosis during that year [1].
HIV infection progressed to AIDS more slowly among young people than among all persons with a diagnosis of HIV infection. The following are the proportions of persons in whom HIV infection did not progress to AIDS within 12 months after diagnosis of HIV infection:
81% of persons aged 15–24
70% of persons aged 13–14
61% of all persons
African Americans were disproportionately affected by HIV infection, accounting for 55% of all HIV infections reported among persons aged 13–24 [2].
Young men who have sex with men (MSM), especially those of minority races or ethnicities, were at high risk for HIV infection. In the 7 cities that participated in CDC’s Young Men’s Survey during 1994–1998, 14% of African American MSM and 7% of Hispanic MSM aged 15–22 were infected with HIV [3].
During 2001–2004, in the 33 states with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting, 62% of the 17,824 persons 13–24 years of age given a diagnoses of HIV/AIDS were males, and 38% were females.
Old 09-19-2006, 10:50 AM   #74
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
'

this link has to do with African-Americans.

show me the part where it says that people are having sex with monkeys.

and this completely shoots to hell your earlier assertion that only gay people get HIV in the US.
Then try this "racist" link

http://www.thebody.com/schoofs/africa4.html

To many Africans, this was one more sign that nothing about Western thinking could be trusted, including science. Based on the media reports, many Africans dismissed the research as just another tool to denigrate their culture. "In France you eat frogs and oysters, which to us is very strange," says Léopold Zekeng, director of Cameroon's national HIV research program. Eating monkeys and apes, he says, "is part of our culture." Portraying it as barbaric could backfire, Zekeng warns: "Politicians could close up and say, 'We don't want you to do research because you might come out with findings that lead to more discrimination.' "
Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 AM   #75
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/youth.htm

HIV/AIDS in 2004

The following are based on data from the 35 areas with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting.*

An estimated 4,883 young people received a diagnosis of HIV infection or AIDS, representing about 13% of the persons given a diagnosis during that year [1].
HIV infection progressed to AIDS more slowly among young people than among all persons with a diagnosis of HIV infection. The following are the proportions of persons in whom HIV infection did not progress to AIDS within 12 months after diagnosis of HIV infection:
81% of persons aged 15–24
70% of persons aged 13–14
61% of all persons
African Americans were disproportionately affected by HIV infection, accounting for 55% of all HIV infections reported among persons aged 13–24 [2].
Young men who have sex with men (MSM), especially those of minority races or ethnicities, were at high risk for HIV infection. In the 7 cities that participated in CDC’s Young Men’s Survey during 1994–1998, 14% of African American MSM and 7% of Hispanic MSM aged 15–22 were infected with HIV [3].
During 2001–2004, in the 33 states with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting, 62% of the 17,824 persons 13–24 years of age given a diagnoses of HIV/AIDS were males, and 38% were females.

SHOW ME SEX WITH MONKEYS! I WANT TO SEE SEX WITH MONKEYS!!!

you said:

[q]Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
[B]You're twisting words, and you know it. Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases. That was my point on why you're WRONG for ignoring our national statistics and only resorting to global statistics. As much as you might hate to admit it, you are throwing in societies that belong in ancient civilizaitons.[/q]

what, the FUCK, do current statistics on the African-American HIV crisis have to do with your contention that people in Africa are having sex with monkeys in orer to cure AIDS? are you saying that African-Americans belong in ancient civilizations?

i can't even believe i'm responding to this racist garbage.