The Nobel - should we even take it seriously? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-18-2006, 09:31 PM   #46
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Westport
I would like to hear why there have been so many Nobels (physics, literature, economics, medicine, peace) and so few awarded to Muslims?

Old 09-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #47
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:27 AM
Quote:
I would like to hear why there have been so many Nobels (physics, literature, economics, medicine, peace) and so few awarded to Muslims?

Are their efforts and participation these fields being ignored by the Norwegian committee?

and while we're at it, i would like to know why there aren't more women in the US Senate.

Old 09-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:27 AM
I don't know what it is with the Prize and Muslims, the only two recipients of the Prize who were Muslims were Arafat and Shirin Ebadi. Incidentally, Ebadi also opposed the invasion of Iraq.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:15 PM   #49
War Child

Local Time: 08:27 AM
Mac, will you feel differently if Bono ever wins it?
Old 09-18-2006, 10:41 PM   #50
Refugee

Local Time: 12:27 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i'm also dismayed as to the lack of Somalians. and Mongolians. and North Koreans.

Those population numbers quite different.

The list of Nobel Prize winners is facsinating and a non-partisan commentary in itself:

There have been a total of 758 Nobel Prize winners since 1901 and only 7 (less that 1%) winners have been Muslim. Yet roughly 20% (a billion people or more) of the world population are Muslim. Only 7 Nobel Prize winners? Why is that? How can that be? On the other had, there have been 56 Jewish Nobel Prize Winners. There are 14 million or so Jews in the world (one fifth of 1 percent) of the world population).
Old 09-18-2006, 11:08 PM   #51
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The list of Nobel Prize winners is facsinating and a non-partisan commentary in itself:

There have been a total of 758 Nobel Prize winners since 1901 and only 7 (less that 1%) winners have been Muslim. Yet roughly 20% (a billion people or more) of the world population are Muslim. Only 7 Nobel Prize winners? Why is that? How can that be? On the other had, there have been 56 Jewish Nobel Prize Winners. There are 14 million or so Jews in the world (one fifth of 1 percent) of the world population).

my goodness, could it be that most Jews live in societies that aren't theocracies and are generally amongst the most successful that have ever existed (US, UK, France, Israel, etc.) and generally haven't lived in countries that are theocracies? could it be that the separation of church and state is very nearly a necessary requirement for any state to embrace modernity and maximize the potential of it's citizenry? could a legacy of colonialism have anything to do with it?

like wise, why does the US only have 5% of the world's population, yet emit 25% of the world's carbon dioxide? why does Australia only have 25m people, yet they are usually in the top 5 at the Olympics?

and i still want to know about women in the Senate. they make up more than 50% of the US population -- why aren't they more than 50% of the Senate?

please, let's explain that, then we'll take that thought exercise and apply it to Jews vs. Muslims.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

double post.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #53
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

How many redheads? Women? How many with black skin?
Old 09-18-2006, 11:10 PM   #54
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Nice incendiary post! What 's your point? I think you are stirring up crap but notice we aren't taking your bait.

Only 34 women have ever won a Nobel prize but they make up 50% of the population!

Old 09-18-2006, 11:12 PM   #55
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

please, let's explain that, then we'll take that thought exercise and apply it to Jews vs. Muslims.
Let's not bring logic into this discussion, we've had 4 pages without logic, let's not start now.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Why is that? How can that be? On the other had, there have been 56 Jewish Nobel Prize Winners. There are 14 million or so Jews in the world (one fifth of 1 percent) of the world population).
It's been noted that oppressed minorities tend to work exponentially harder to try and prove their worth to the majority, who tend to be more complacent and drunk with power. Having dealt with 2,000 years of hatred, that could very well explain why Jews seem so disproportionately successful. It became a coping mechanism, and quite an advantageous one in the end.

Melon
Old 09-18-2006, 11:13 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

i feel like i'm in Paris, and i'm hearing a group of loud Americans complaining about the lack of ice cubes in the coca-cola, oh, and the bathroom was really small back in the hotel, and i'm wishing i had a bright red Maple Leaf handy.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #58
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:57 AM
Quote:

why does Australia only have 25m people, yet they are usually in the top 5 at the Olympics?

Hey,hey,hey

We kick their ass in the Winter Olympics!! And we only have 30 millionish but then again Norway has less then us and they kick our ass!

ETA and there's your Maple Leaf, although it's value is diminshing with our new government in power.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i feel like i'm in Paris, and i'm hearing a group of loud Americans complaining about the lack of ice cubes in the coca-cola, oh, and the bathroom was really small back in the hotel, and i'm wishing i had a bright red Maple Leaf handy.
Don't forget that they're jumping and screaming up and down the streets too, and they're the only sounds you hear as your eyes roll into the back of your head in disgust.

Melon
Old 09-18-2006, 11:21 PM   #60
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:27 AM
OK guys, simmer down please...

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης