The Nobel - should we even take it seriously?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, the Nobel is important. It gets you in the door, it gets people reading about why it was won, when they probably wouldn't have any interest otherwise. It's like Time Magazine's 'Person of the Year' hoopla...the only time of the year when you'll see Mary Hart or Extra! talk about famine, or some other pressing global issue.

It's sad, but also a fact, that when your lights are up on a marquee, people will pause, and say "wuhhh?"

There's merit in that.

Irvine511 said:
i feel like i'm in Paris, and i'm hearing a group of loud Americans complaining about the lack of ice cubes in the coca-cola, oh, and the bathroom was really small back in the hotel, and i'm wishing i had a bright red Maple Leaf handy.

I spent four years of the best years of my life in Paris. I'm sorry if you spent any time listing to groups of loud Americans

melon said:

It's been noted that oppressed minorities tend to work exponentially harder to try and prove their worth to the majority, who tend to be more complacent and drunk with power. Having dealt with 2,000 years of hatred, that could very well explain why Jews seem so disproportionately successful. It became a coping mechanism, and quite an advantageous one in the end.

Melon

I appreciate the intelligent response. One that does not resort to vitriol.

Westport said:

I spent four years of the best years of my life in Paris. I'm sorry if you spent any time listing to groups of loud Americans

did they know why there weren't more Muslim nobel prize winners?

the attitudes you've expressed in this thread are the FYM equivalent of a boorish tourist.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

So heterosexual sex is different in developing countries?
You're twisting words, and you know it. Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases. That was my point on why you're WRONG for ignoring our national statistics and only resorting to global statistics. As much as you might hate to admit it, you are throwing in societies that belong in ancient civilizaitons.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And you consider all of this Nobel Peace prize worthy?:huh:
If Carter didn't overthrow the Shah of Iran without a just cause, we wouldn't have had the Iran-Contra affair in the first place.

melon said:
The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a Norwegian committee, and Norway is about as leftist of a country as it gets.
Exactly. I met a Norwegian exchange student in high school who thought detention was outrageous.

Macfistowannabe said:
You're twisting words, and you know it. Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases. That was my point on why you're WRONG for ignoring our national statistics and only resorting to global statistics. As much as you might hate to admit it, you are throwing in societies that belong in ancient civilizaitons.

hey, Mac, for once, could you at the very least MAKE A CITATION whenever you're going to trot out racist nonsense like this?

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/youth.htm

HIV/AIDS in 2004

The following are based on data from the 35 areas with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting.*

An estimated 4,883 young people received a diagnosis of HIV infection or AIDS, representing about 13% of the persons given a diagnosis during that year [1].
HIV infection progressed to AIDS more slowly among young people than among all persons with a diagnosis of HIV infection. The following are the proportions of persons in whom HIV infection did not progress to AIDS within 12 months after diagnosis of HIV infection:
81% of persons aged 15–24
70% of persons aged 13–14
61% of all persons
African Americans were disproportionately affected by HIV infection, accounting for 55% of all HIV infections reported among persons aged 13–24 [2].
Young men who have sex with men (MSM), especially those of minority races or ethnicities, were at high risk for HIV infection. In the 7 cities that participated in CDC’s Young Men’s Survey during 1994–1998, 14% of African American MSM and 7% of Hispanic MSM aged 15–22 were infected with HIV [3].
During 2001–2004, in the 33 states with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting, 62% of the 17,824 persons 13–24 years of age given a diagnoses of HIV/AIDS were males, and 38% were females.

Irvine511 said:
'

this link has to do with African-Americans.

show me the part where it says that people are having sex with monkeys.

and this completely shoots to hell your earlier assertion that only gay people get HIV in the US.
Then try this "racist" link

http://www.thebody.com/schoofs/africa4.html

To many Africans, this was one more sign that nothing about Western thinking could be trusted, including science. Based on the media reports, many Africans dismissed the research as just another tool to denigrate their culture. "In France you eat frogs and oysters, which to us is very strange," says Léopold Zekeng, director of Cameroon's national HIV research program. Eating monkeys and apes, he says, "is part of our culture." Portraying it as barbaric could backfire, Zekeng warns: "Politicians could close up and say, 'We don't want you to do research because you might come out with findings that lead to more discrimination.' "

Macfistowannabe said:
http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/factsheets/youth.htm

HIV/AIDS in 2004

The following are based on data from the 35 areas with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting.*

An estimated 4,883 young people received a diagnosis of HIV infection or AIDS, representing about 13% of the persons given a diagnosis during that year [1].
HIV infection progressed to AIDS more slowly among young people than among all persons with a diagnosis of HIV infection. The following are the proportions of persons in whom HIV infection did not progress to AIDS within 12 months after diagnosis of HIV infection:
81% of persons aged 15–24
70% of persons aged 13–14
61% of all persons
African Americans were disproportionately affected by HIV infection, accounting for 55% of all HIV infections reported among persons aged 13–24 [2].
Young men who have sex with men (MSM), especially those of minority races or ethnicities, were at high risk for HIV infection. In the 7 cities that participated in CDC’s Young Men’s Survey during 1994–1998, 14% of African American MSM and 7% of Hispanic MSM aged 15–22 were infected with HIV [3].
During 2001–2004, in the 33 states with long-term, confidential name-based HIV reporting, 62% of the 17,824 persons 13–24 years of age given a diagnoses of HIV/AIDS were males, and 38% were females.

SHOW ME SEX WITH MONKEYS! I WANT TO SEE SEX WITH MONKEYS!!!

you said:

[q]Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
You're twisting words, and you know it. Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases. That was my point on why you're WRONG for ignoring our national statistics and only resorting to global statistics. As much as you might hate to admit it, you are throwing in societies that belong in ancient civilizaitons.[/q]

what, the FUCK, do current statistics on the African-American HIV crisis have to do with your contention that people in Africa are having sex with monkeys in orer to cure AIDS? are you saying that African-Americans belong in ancient civilizations?

i can't even believe i'm responding to this racist garbage.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:
Then try this "racist" link

http://www.thebody.com/schoofs/africa4.html

To many Africans, this was one more sign that nothing about Western thinking could be trusted, including science. Based on the media reports, many Africans dismissed the research as just another tool to denigrate their culture. "In France you eat frogs and oysters, which to us is very strange," says Léopold Zekeng, director of Cameroon's national HIV research program. Eating monkeys and apes, he says, "is part of our culture." Portraying it as barbaric could backfire, Zekeng warns: "Politicians could close up and say, 'We don't want you to do research because you might come out with findings that lead to more discrimination.' "

where's the sex with monkeys, mac, WHERE'S THE SEX WITH MONKEYS!?!?!?!?

:banghead:

Macfistowannabe said:
Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases.

Having actually lived in the "3rd world" for most of my life, Africa for two years, and as someone in a committed relationship with an African, I have to say that I find such statements insensitive at best and racist at worst. Perhaps you should give serious consideration to the ramifications of such claims before you make them in what is intended to be a multi-cultural forum. At the very least, if you feel compelled to make what is bound to be an inflammatory statement please have the decency to back it up with real statistics and not just hearsay. Ultimately, I have to wonder how such a contribution would add any value to a serious discussion rather than reinforce negative stereotypes.

Macfistowannabe said:
If Carter didn't overthrow the Shah of Iran without a just cause, we wouldn't have had the Iran-Contra affair in the first place.

I don't know what all of this stuff about Carter overthrowing the Shah of Iran is. For your information, the Shah of Iran had one of the most notorious secret police operations in the history of that shameful institution, SAVAK. If the U.S. hadn't overthrown a democratically elected government in Iran to install the Shah that country would be a democracy, not a theocracy like it is.

Nobel prize to sex with monkeys-this might be the all time FYM winner for an agenda driven stretch.

How did that happen? I could go back and read but on second thought..

verte76 said:

I don't know what all of this stuff about Carter overthrowing the Shah of Iran is. For your information, the Shah of Iran had one of the most notorious secret police operations in the history of that shameful institution, SAVAK. If the U.S. hadn't overthrown a democratically elected government in Iran to install the Shah that country would be a democracy, not a theocracy like it is.
The Shah did have a history of human rights abuses. But they were not a threat to us when Carter was in office. As a result of his unneccessary overthrowing, they are a threat to us. Their leader is writing to President Bush asking him if he's sure he doesn't want to convert to Islam. I hope war with Iran is not inevitable.

sulawesigirl4 said:

Having actually lived in the "3rd world" for most of my life, Africa for two years, and as someone in a committed relationship with an African, I have to say that I find such statements insensitive at best and racist at worst. Perhaps you should give serious consideration to the ramifications of such claims before you make them in what is intended to be a multi-cultural forum. At the very least, if you feel compelled to make what is bound to be an inflammatory statement please have the decency to back it up with real statistics and not just hearsay. Ultimately, I have to wonder how such a contribution would add any value to a serious discussion rather than reinforce negative stereotypes.
I love all these wild accusations, even coming from a mod.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Aids_Focus/0,,2-7-659_1161152,00.html

Johannesburg - The National Societies for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (NSPCA) says it is horrified at claims that having sex with an animal prevents people from getting Aids. The organisation says bestiality neither prevents Aids nor is it a cure for the deadly disease.

All the more reason to believe that the Jesse Jacksons on the left are the new Joe McCarthy.

Last edited:
Macfistowannabe said:
I love all these wild accusations, even coming from mods.

http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Aids_Focus/0,,2-7-659_1161152,00.html

All the more reason to believe that the Jesse Jacksons on the left are the new Joe McCarthy.

did you even read the article?

it said that some people are fucking goats because they don't have HIV, not that people are having sex with monkeys to cure themseves of HIV.

shall we talk about bestiality on American farms?

you've yet to show a shred of evidence for ANY of your wild claims and your racist, homophobic aspersions you've cast upon Africans, African-Americans, and homosexuals.

Never mind, I guess goat-plonking prepubescents will do well enough.

This thread is losing direction fast. Please get back to directly Nobel Prize-related topics...if there's anything more of a constructive nature to be said there. Otherwise...

yolland said:
Never mind, I guess goat-plonking prepubescents will do well enough.

This thread is losing direction fast. Please get back to directly Nobel Prize-related topics...if there's anything more of a constructive nature to be said there. Otherwise...
Thank you.

It has lost direction, and has led to ruthless accusations.

Macfistowannabe said:
and has led to ruthless accusations.
Well, considering this latest tangent started with you saying that "Many third world countries are using outrageous methods such as sex with monkeys to cure their diseases..." which implies something a wee bit broader than a few kids availing themselves of goats, that was probably to be expected, no?

Macfistowannabe said:

I read the article and nowhere does it reference the idea that having sex with a monkey would cure a disease which was your original statement. What I said was that the comment was hurtful and could be construed as contributing to racist stereotypes. I didn't tell you you couldn't post it nor did I try to "censor" you. I am at a complete loss as to how this could possibly constitute a "wild accusation". All I ask is that you try to honestly put yourself in the place of others and think about your words before you post them. I'm saying this as a fellow human being as well as a mod.

As regards the original topic of the thread, I do take the Nobel Peace Prize seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom