The Nobel - should we even take it seriously?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BonoVoxSupastar said:
His inaction did a lot for the spread of AIDS in America.
This is a weakness on his behalf, and this isn't the first time I've said it. But while we're at it, the current view that heterosexuals can get it just as easily is false. Also, the cause of government funding of heart disease - a bigger killer - is much lower than the funding to stop AIDS.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
And his administration played a huge part in the amount of nuclear arms in the world today.
Be specific.

Macfistowannabe said:
But while we're at it, the current view that heterosexuals can get it just as easily is false.

By the end of 2005, women accounted for 48% of all adults living with HIV worldwide, and for 59% in sub-Saharan Africa. You think they got this from Lesbian sex? Check your facts, take a look at real science sources sometimes.

Macfistowannabe said:

Be specific.

What's to be specific about, the majority of nukes in this world came from the arms race Reagan played in the 80's. Let's not forget the part he played in arming the Middle East.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

By the end of 2005, women accounted for 48% of all adults living with HIV worldwide, and for 59% in sub-Saharan Africa. You think they got this from Lesbian sex? Check your facts, take a look at real science sources sometimes.
It's a much different story in third world countries. Some of them believe that sex with animals cures diseases. That's why you have to consider it on a national basis as well.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
What's to be specific about, the majority of nukes in this world came from the arms race Reagan played in the 80's. Let's not forget the part he played in arming the Middle East.
We were in a non-traditional war with the Soviet Union, and the objective was to antimidate them through the space race, and the nuclear race. Reagan should be given the peace prize for his "Star Wars" defense program.

And on the Middle East, there was a dilemma. I've said how I don't hold Clinton entirely accountable for not killing Osama when he had the chance because he was surrounded by women and children, and he would've faced a scandal back home for doing so. I see the Iran-Contra Affair the same way. He did what he had to do to save the hostages, under the dilemma.

Macfistowannabe said:
It's a much different story in third world countries. Some of them believe that sex with animals cures diseases. That's why you have to consider it on a national basis as well.

So heterosexual sex is different in developing countries?

Macfistowannabe said:

We were in a non-traditional war with the Soviet Union, and the objective was to antimidate them through the space race, and the nuclear race. Reagan should be given the peace prize for his "Star Wars" defense program.

And on the Middle East, there was a dilemma. I've said how I don't hold Clinton entirely accountable for not killing Osama when he had the chance because he was surrounded by women and children, and he would've faced a scandal back home for doing so. I see the Iran-Contra Affair the same way. He did what he had to do to save the hostages, under the dilemma.

And you consider all of this Nobel Peace prize worthy?:huh:

Wangari Maathai.

Isn't she the one who claimed that AIDS was invention of the West to keep Africa in servitude or something like that?

Oops. I goofed. In my post I said that the conservative Sandinists opposition had done the nasty undemocratic things. That was actually the Sandinistas who broke their promises to run the country in a democratic fashion.:reject:

Reagan, given the Nobel Peace Price for his star wars missile defense program. *LOL*

This thread - should we even take it seriously? This just reads like flame-bait after a while.

The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a Norwegian committee, and Norway is about as leftist of a country as it gets. If you're expecting American conservatives to get awarded a prize, because FOX News says so, you're kidding yourself.

Melon

melon said:
This thread - should we even take it seriously? This just reads like flame-bait after a while.

The Nobel Peace Prize is awarded by a Norwegian committee, and Norway is about as leftist of a country as it gets. If you're expecting American conservatives to get awarded a prize, because FOX News says so, you're kidding yourself.

Melon

I agree - but I'm not sure why you had to throw that "because FOX News says so" in there.

AEON said:
I agree - but I'm not sure why you had to throw that "because FOX News says so" in there.

I guess I'm a bit frustrated at what I'd call "flame-bait" threads lately. FYM is starting to read like a push poll, rather than an earnest attempt at dialogue.

So forgive me if I lose my stoic composure here and there.

Melon

Macfistowannabe said:

"Third world countries"? Heterosexual sex is noted as the main cause of AIDS in every country, minus the U.S.--and even then, I question how much of this statistical anomaly is due to prejudice. That aside, even in the U.S., the fastest growing segment of HIV positive people are women and African Americans.

Reagan wouldn't have received a peace prize for something that never existed. The preliminary aspects of the SDI ended up being a multi-million dollar handout to corporations before being scrapped due to lack of feasibility. Even today, the space-based aspect of Bush's missile defense program is tremendously infeasible.

Reagan's legacy ultimately did not bring us world peace, so if you believe that Mikhail Gorbachev doesn't deserve the prize, then neither does Reagan. On this logic, we should give the peace prize to the Afghani mujahideen that was successful in bankrupting the Soviet Union in the 1980s.

Melon

I would like to hear why there have been so many Nobels (physics, literature, economics, medicine, peace) and so few awarded to Muslims?

Are their efforts and participation these fields being ignored by the Norwegian committee?

Westport said:
I would like to hear why there have been so many Nobels (physics, literature, economics, medicine, peace) and so few awarded to Muslims?

Are their efforts and participation these fields being ignored by the Norwegian committee?

i'm also dismayed as to the lack of Somalians. and Mongolians. and North Koreans.

Westport said:

and while we're at it, i would like to know why there aren't more women in the US Senate.

I don't know what it is with the Prize and Muslims, the only two recipients of the Prize who were Muslims were Arafat and Shirin Ebadi. Incidentally, Ebadi also opposed the invasion of Iraq.

Irvine511 said:

i'm also dismayed as to the lack of Somalians. and Mongolians. and North Koreans.

Those population numbers quite different.

The list of Nobel Prize winners is facsinating and a non-partisan commentary in itself:

There have been a total of 758 Nobel Prize winners since 1901 and only 7 (less that 1%) winners have been Muslim. Yet roughly 20% (a billion people or more) of the world population are Muslim. Only 7 Nobel Prize winners? Why is that? How can that be? On the other had, there have been 56 Jewish Nobel Prize Winners. There are 14 million or so Jews in the world (one fifth of 1 percent) of the world population).

Westport said:

The list of Nobel Prize winners is facsinating and a non-partisan commentary in itself:

There have been a total of 758 Nobel Prize winners since 1901 and only 7 (less that 1%) winners have been Muslim. Yet roughly 20% (a billion people or more) of the world population are Muslim. Only 7 Nobel Prize winners? Why is that? How can that be? On the other had, there have been 56 Jewish Nobel Prize Winners. There are 14 million or so Jews in the world (one fifth of 1 percent) of the world population).

my goodness, could it be that most Jews live in societies that aren't theocracies and are generally amongst the most successful that have ever existed (US, UK, France, Israel, etc.) and generally haven't lived in countries that are theocracies? could it be that the separation of church and state is very nearly a necessary requirement for any state to embrace modernity and maximize the potential of it's citizenry? could a legacy of colonialism have anything to do with it?

like wise, why does the US only have 5% of the world's population, yet emit 25% of the world's carbon dioxide? why does Australia only have 25m people, yet they are usually in the top 5 at the Olympics?

and i still want to know about women in the Senate. they make up more than 50% of the US population -- why aren't they more than 50% of the Senate?

please, let's explain that, then we'll take that thought exercise and apply it to Jews vs. Muslims.

Westport said:

How many redheads? Women? How many with black skin?

Nice incendiary post! What 's your point? I think you are stirring up crap but notice we aren't taking your bait.

Only 34 women have ever won a Nobel prize but they make up 50% of the population!

:|

Irvine511 said:

please, let's explain that, then we'll take that thought exercise and apply it to Jews vs. Muslims.

Let's not bring logic into this discussion, we've had 4 pages without logic, let's not start now.

Westport said:
Why is that? How can that be? On the other had, there have been 56 Jewish Nobel Prize Winners. There are 14 million or so Jews in the world (one fifth of 1 percent) of the world population).

It's been noted that oppressed minorities tend to work exponentially harder to try and prove their worth to the majority, who tend to be more complacent and drunk with power. Having dealt with 2,000 years of hatred, that could very well explain why Jews seem so disproportionately successful. It became a coping mechanism, and quite an advantageous one in the end.

Melon

i feel like i'm in Paris, and i'm hearing a group of loud Americans complaining about the lack of ice cubes in the coca-cola, oh, and the bathroom was really small back in the hotel, and i'm wishing i had a bright red Maple Leaf handy.

Irvine511 said:

why does Australia only have 25m people, yet they are usually in the top 5 at the Olympics?

Hey,hey,hey

We kick their ass in the Winter Olympics!! And we only have 30 millionish but then again Norway has less then us and they kick our ass! :(

:wink:

ETA and there's your Maple Leaf, although it's value is diminshing with our new government in power. :wink:

Irvine511 said:
i feel like i'm in Paris, and i'm hearing a group of loud Americans complaining about the lack of ice cubes in the coca-cola, oh, and the bathroom was really small back in the hotel, and i'm wishing i had a bright red Maple Leaf handy.

Don't forget that they're jumping and screaming up and down the streets too, and they're the only sounds you hear as your eyes roll into the back of your head in disgust.

Melon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom