The Nobel - should we even take it seriously? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
And then there was Yassir Arafat, a man I despise.

After Forty Years of state-sponsored terrorism, he somehow deserves a prize for Allah knows what.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:04 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
We can start with Ronald Reagan, who ended the Cold War. Apparently his tough talk about the Evil Empire was too hawkish for the NPP?
Oh please for all those strawman arguments you made for Carter, I could make a list twice as long for Reagan and they would have foundation to stand on.
__________________

__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:07 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


Oh please for all those strawman arguments you made for Carter, I could make a list twice as long for Reagan and they would have foundation to stand on.
So I didn't include how he overthrew the Shah of Iran. Now we have Ahmadinejad financing the destruction of Israel.

If you'd like me to go on, BVS, I'm game.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:09 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 01:58 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2002/index.html

Huh?

Peaceful solutions to international conflicts like bribing Kim Jong Il with money so he doesn't build nukes. He built them. Jimmy Carter did not make the world a safer place.

Advancing democracy by allowing more nations to fall to communism. He didn't advance democracy, he defamed it.

Human rights, such as his recent position against abortion?

Economic development? The unemployment rate under Jimmy Carter was hardly any better than France's current unemployment rate.

Social development, sure, if you want evolution indoctrination.
He wasn't the best president, true, but he's done some pretty cool things since leaving office, like raising money to fight disease in Africa. I think he deserved the Prize. In effect, he's served his second term, just in a different way.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:12 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76


He wasn't the best president, true, but he's done some pretty cool things since leaving office, like raising money to fight disease in Africa.
Jimmy Carter has a great heart, and I admire him for it. but at the same time, it's his brain that puts lives in danger.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:13 PM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe


If you'd like me to go on, BVS, I'm game.
I think you're missing the point.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar


I think you're missing the point.
Maybe it's just you.

I've cited many examples on how some of the winners should be stripped of their recognition for "peace-making."
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:17 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict
 
MrsSpringsteen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 24,998
Local Time: 08:58 PM
Maybe GWB should be nominated, after all his brain has never put any lives in danger. He's a prince of peace.
__________________
MrsSpringsteen is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Maybe it's just you.

I've cited many examples on how some of the winners should be stripped of their recognition for "peace-making."
Obviously many many people disagree with you. Yet you offered Reagan?! Very comical.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:20 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Maybe GWB should be nominated, after all his brain has never put any lives in danger. He's a prince of peace.
Or just rename it to the Nobel Inaction Prize.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:22 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Obviously many many people disagree with you. Yet you offered Reagan?! Very comical.
How so?

If he served as long as FDR, we wouldn't have totalitarianist oppression in many more countries.

True, he did wage wars, but for many of them, the end result was peace in regions where he stepped in.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Maybe GWB should be nominated, after all his brain has never put any lives in danger. He's a prince of peace.
I remember this being a joke on the Conan O'Brien show (or Leno, I can't remember). If I remember correctly, he was nominated.
__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 01:58 AM
I protested Reagan's Central American policies. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Fortunately George Bush saw the light and they had a democratic election in Nicaragua, won by the conservative Sandinista opponents. They'd done a few nasty undemocratic things.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier
 
BVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: between my head and heart
Posts: 40,697
Local Time: 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
How so?

If he served as long as FDR, we wouldn't have totalitarianist oppression in many more countries.

True, he did wage wars, but for many of them, the end result was peace in regions where he stepped in.
His inaction did a lot for the spread of AIDS in America. And his administration played a huge part in the amount of nuclear arms in the world today.
__________________
BVS is online now  
Old 09-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
Macfistowannabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,129
Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
I protested Reagan's Central American policies. I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Fortunately George Bush saw the light and they had a democratic election in Nicaragua, won by the conservative Sandinista opponents. They'd done a few nasty undemocratic things.
Keyword: many.

Not all.
__________________

__________________
Macfistowannabe is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com