The next country who's tired of the "coalition of the willing"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Klaus

Refugee
on a one of these small green spots at that blue p
BBC News

Polish troops head a multinational division in south-central Iraq
Poland could withdraw all its troops from Iraq next year, President Aleksander Kwasniewski has said.

He said Poland could pull out at the end of 2005, but he stressed that no final decision had been taken.

Earlier, there was confusion when Poland's defence minister said troops should be home by next December, but other government figures demurred.

Warsaw, a staunch ally of the US in Iraq, sent 2,400 troops and commands a multinational force of 6,000.

Congrats to Poland and all of their efforts. Unlike Germany and France, they have actually worked hard to help the people of Iraq.

STING2 said:
Congrats to Poland

You mean the 25% of Polish people who actually support their troops being there at all?

anitram said:

You mean the 25% of Polish people who actually support their troops being there at all?

Congrats to them as well, but I was really refering to the 3,000 Polish troops on the ground in Iraq whom my friends there have met and worked with!

What you might have forgotten...
The german chancelor would have bin thrown to jail if he participated in the war in Iraq because it's unconstitutional for a german politican to participate in an war of aggression.
But don't be ashamed Mr. Rumsfeld forgot this also (like he couldn't remember that Austria was neutral since Worldwar II)

Poland is withdrawing properly, they have announced a phased withdrawl over the next year. This is acceptable and fair considering the elected Iraqi government will be in place at such a time.

It might become a problem though. Poland is pulling out, the Dutch are pulling out after the elections and I bet other countries will follow soon. I don't see other countries standing in line to take over. Will Iraq be able to hold their own?

The only ones who can win a free Iraq are the Iraqi people themselves. The US will not be there forever.

i hope poland get's some serious perks for sticking out their neck like this.

perks as in international business ventures giving them the time of day. their economy sucks horribly.

I just read this today. It was an open letter to US citizens and an official doc from Asia. It sort of takes a bit out of the Japanese coalition.
http://207.44.245.159/article6990.htm
An appeal for America to be American

By Joan Chittister, OSB

09/30/04 "National Catholic Reporter" -- I have discovered that there is a lot you never find out, even about your own country, unless you go somewhere else.

For instance, Aug. 31 during the Republican National Convention, 203 Asian scholars from 13 countries published a public declaration, endorsed by 42 Asian organizations, appealing to U.S. voters "not to vote for a president who will turn Asia and the global society into America's enemy." The statement, they tell us, was released simultaneously in both New York and Japan, a nation that understands first-hand what war can do to a people for generations.

"Another America is possible," the declaration insists.

Maybe you heard about it but I didn't. Instead, they handed the document to me in Tokyo, amazed that I knew nothing about it at all.

Which, it seems to me, too, is strange, given the fact that the declaration purports to be the work of groups such as the International Movement for a Just World, the Women's International League of Peace and Freedom, the Friends Service Council, Sociologists Without Borders, the Center for Research on the Environment, the Japan Lawyers International Solidarity group and the Korean Professors Union.

Japan is currently the 2nd biggest donator of money for the war in Iraq having given several Billion dollars to the effort. There are nearly 1,000 Japanese troops on the ground in Iraq.

Sting,

you seem to like numbers.

We could take the population of Poland and the U. S. and see what the true value of coalition partners are.

england is the largest participant but still probably has around a 40% of our commitment.

deep said:
Sting,

We could take the population of Poland and the U. S. and see what the true value of coalition partners are.

england is the largest participant but still probably has around a 40% of our commitment.

I'm guessing that Poland's standing army is proportionally much smaller than the US's, so this isn't a completely fair measure.

speedracer said:

I'm guessing that Poland's standing army is proportionally much smaller than the US's, so this isn't a completely fair measure.

yes I thought about that

and Japan has practically no Army for its population.

I think the US spends something like 45% of the money spent on arms

US is 4-5 % of world pop

there is something very wrong.

deep said:

yes I thought about that

and Japan has practically no Army for its population.

I think the US spends something like 45% of the money spent on arms

US is 4-5 % of world pop

there is something very wrong.

Yeah...the other countries of the world don't do their part to keep themselves and other places safe.

Damn, double-edged swords can be a bitch.

(To say this more politely...the statistics you quote seem to point to a natural conclusion, but this conclusion can be completely turned around.)

Last edited:
deep said:
Sting,

You seem to like this concept of a "True Coalition". Could you please give an historical example of what a "True Coalition" is over the past 50 years?

Lets take the population of Iraq and the number of Iraqi's serving in the military or the police force fight terrorist. There are 100,000, so in terms of ratio's Iraq already has the United States beat in this area.

But if one is like John Kerry and John Edwards and pretends that the hundreds of Iraqi's in the new military and police force, who have sacrificed their lives fighting the terrorist, do not deserve to be mentioned as apart of the coalition, then I doubt they will agree with what is said above.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom