The next country who's tired of the "coalition of the willing"? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2004, 09:22 AM   #1
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 03:34 PM
The next country who's tired of the "coalition of the willing"?

BBC News

Quote:
Polish troops head a multinational division in south-central Iraq
Poland could withdraw all its troops from Iraq next year, President Aleksander Kwasniewski has said.

He said Poland could pull out at the end of 2005, but he stressed that no final decision had been taken.

Earlier, there was confusion when Poland's defence minister said troops should be home by next December, but other government figures demurred.

Warsaw, a staunch ally of the US in Iraq, sent 2,400 troops and commands a multinational force of 6,000.

Old 10-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 02:34 PM
Congrats to Poland and all of their efforts. Unlike Germany and France, they have actually worked hard to help the people of Iraq.

Old 10-04-2004, 05:45 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
Congrats to Poland
You mean the 25% of Polish people who actually support their troops being there at all?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:27 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

You mean the 25% of Polish people who actually support their troops being there at all?
Congrats to them as well, but I was really refering to the 3,000 Polish troops on the ground in Iraq whom my friends there have met and worked with!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #5
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Congrats to them as well, but I was really refering to the 3,000 Polish troops on the ground in Iraq whom my friends there have met and worked with!
Agreed. Thank you Poland.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:15 AM   #6
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
What you might have forgotten...
The german chancelor would have bin thrown to jail if he participated in the war in Iraq because it's unconstitutional for a german politican to participate in an war of aggression.
But don't be ashamed Mr. Rumsfeld forgot this also (like he couldn't remember that Austria was neutral since Worldwar II)
Old 10-05-2004, 02:19 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 AM
Poland is withdrawing properly, they have announced a phased withdrawl over the next year. This is acceptable and fair considering the elected Iraqi government will be in place at such a time.
Old 10-05-2004, 02:54 AM   #8
Refugee

A_Wanderer
I agree with you in that point, i think they'll start to redraw their troops in January but expect that the last troops leave Iraq end 2005 - so there is enough time to replace them
Old 10-05-2004, 03:29 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

It might become a problem though. Poland is pulling out, the Dutch are pulling out after the elections and I bet other countries will follow soon. I don't see other countries standing in line to take over. Will Iraq be able to hold their own?
Old 10-05-2004, 03:37 AM   #10
Refugee

DrTeeth

not yet or in the near future - more US soldiers might have to do the job
Old 10-05-2004, 03:49 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:34 AM
The only ones who can win a free Iraq are the Iraqi people themselves. The US will not be there forever.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:34 AM
i hope poland get's some serious perks for sticking out their neck like this.

perks as in international business ventures giving them the time of day. their economy sucks horribly.
Old 10-06-2004, 02:51 PM   #13
New Yorker

I just read this today. It was an open letter to US citizens and an official doc from Asia. It sort of takes a bit out of the Japanese coalition.
http://207.44.245.159/article6990.htm
An appeal for America to be American

By Joan Chittister, OSB

09/30/04 "National Catholic Reporter" -- I have discovered that there is a lot you never find out, even about your own country, unless you go somewhere else.

For instance, Aug. 31 during the Republican National Convention, 203 Asian scholars from 13 countries published a public declaration, endorsed by 42 Asian organizations, appealing to U.S. voters "not to vote for a president who will turn Asia and the global society into America's enemy." The statement, they tell us, was released simultaneously in both New York and Japan, a nation that understands first-hand what war can do to a people for generations.

"Another America is possible," the declaration insists.

Maybe you heard about it but I didn't. Instead, they handed the document to me in Tokyo, amazed that I knew nothing about it at all.

Which, it seems to me, too, is strange, given the fact that the declaration purports to be the work of groups such as the International Movement for a Just World, the Women's International League of Peace and Freedom, the Friends Service Council, Sociologists Without Borders, the Center for Research on the Environment, the Japan Lawyers International Solidarity group and the Korean Professors Union.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:08 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Japan is currently the 2nd biggest donator of money for the war in Iraq having given several Billion dollars to the effort. There are nearly 1,000 Japanese troops on the ground in Iraq.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:12 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:34 AM
Sting,

you seem to like numbers.

We could take the population of Poland and the U. S. and see what the true value of coalition partners are.

england is the largest participant but still probably has around a 40% of our commitment.