the new switzerland - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2002, 04:51 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Serious - I thought Europeans could be trusted for their punctuality.

<snicker>
It depends from which part of WHAT Europe you refer to. The British are pretty good when it comes to punctuality, except when it comes to joining the Euro. The French are always punctual to start a trade blockade all the way from Paris to Callais/Dover, but are always late to admit that their blockades fail. The Germans, well... the Germans are never late.

Point being, you can't brand us all European's under the same category, some of us are better than others.

Ant.

Old 03-10-2002, 04:54 AM   #17
Refugee

Oh, and I forgot; the one thing they SHOULD be punctual about and won't be (because of Britain's insistence, French tardiness and West European uncertainty)is an economic response in the form of another tariff to the USA's tariff increase - one long overdue for that matter.

Ant.

Old 03-10-2002, 12:24 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 AM
I get that you are joking now, Bubba.

Joking aside, I dunno...I have always admired the French, certainly not for their military might (which they don't have), but certainly for their culture and definitely their film and art. I can admire their defiance against American/English cultural imperialism, and their willingness to protest injustices, no matter how small.

France is certainly a proud nation, and I've had to deal with it in visiting France myself. I don't know how many times I would hear a waiter speak English in one corner, and, then, pretend not to know it once at my table with my non-French speaking friends (luckily, I took 4.5 years of French, so it didn't bother me). However, I certainly see it as no more proud than America, whom I doubt would not take it highly if the world was dominated by the French, with their language and culture trying to dominate local culture.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 03-11-2002, 01:39 AM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:

I don't know how many times I would hear a waiter speak English in one corner, and, then, pretend not to know it once at my table with my non-French speaking friends (luckily, I took 4.5 years of French, so it didn't bother me).
That happened to me everywhere in France as well. Kinda funny, thing was, as soon as they figured out I was Australian, not actually British, the English came out perfectly.
Old 03-11-2002, 07:34 AM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by TylerDurden:
That happened to me everywhere in France as well. Kinda funny, thing was, as soon as they figured out I was Australian, not actually British, the English came out perfectly.
Yup, they well and truly hate us. The feeling's more than mutual thought.

Ant.
Old 03-11-2002, 08:29 AM   #21
War Child

Thanks Ant, for speaking for my people in general, but I'm sure not all of us hate the French and I'm sure not all the French hate us. I'll be back in June , sampling all that the 'cheese-eaters' can offer. Hope they don't really dislike me ...
Old 03-11-2002, 06:42 PM   #22
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Tizer:
[B]Thanks Ant, for speaking for my people in generalB]
Indeed, who are your people? It was only a joke at any rate, a joke with a hint of truth. There has always been friction, and it will continue to be.

Ant.