The "New" New Testament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
over due for a rewrite?

Anne Rice is getting biblical in her next book, due out in November from publisher Random House. "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt" will tell the story of Jesus' early years in his own words.

Excerpts of a lengthy letter that will accompany advance review copies of the book this summer are published in the new issue of Entertainment Weekly magazine.

"For over 10 years I've wanted to do this book — Jesus in his own words," Rice writes. "For five years, I've been obsessed with how to do it, and for the last three years I've been consumed with nothing else."

Rice, who has moved from New Orleans to San Diego, brought the undead back to life in the 1970s with "Interview With the Vampire."

"I'm not a priest," Rice also writes in the letter. "I can't be one. I'll never be able to go to the altar of the Lord and say the words of consecration at Mass, `This is my body. This is my blood.' No, I can't work that magnificent Eucharistic miracle. But in humility, I have attempted something transformative which we writers dare to call a miracle in the imperfect human idiom we possess. It's to bring Him here in the form a story, and that story is Christ The Lord."

___

It's no different than "The Passion of the Christ." If people dislike it--liberal or conservative--they can just not read it.

Melon

Jose Saramago did it years ago (and probably better).

I haven't read any of Anne Rice's books in a while. Maybe I would give this one a shot

shart1780 said:
Hopefully she won't make it all politically correct and stay true the the word of God, the Bible.

The original Hebrew and Greek used gender indefinite pronouns a lot of the time. The closest equivalent to a gender indefinite pronoun is to say "One would say so," rather than "He/she would say so." In English, however, if gender is unknown, one is supposed to use "he," traditionally. Unfortunately, some Bible zealots forgot that rule and started treating the English translation into "he" as a literal excuse to be misogynist.

Keep that in mind too. But like I said, no matter how Anne Rice writes this, people who don't like it don't have to read it. Period.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom