The New Gender Wage Gap - Against Men - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:54 AM
It's about time women are finally getting the pay they deserve. I don't think men are going to be oppressed anytime soon by women making more money in the workplace.

I will NEVER understand why women would get paid less than men in any job. If a woman is qualified and can complete the job proficiently, how in the world can she get less money than her male co-workers?

Women now have the choice of what career they want to take, whether it's raising a family or going into the corporate world, or both! It's fantastic.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:54 PM
Re: The New Gender Wage Gap - Against Men

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Further evidence of discrimination against men is presented in the above New York Times article.
Where is your logic?

Old 08-05-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:54 PM
I applaud financeguy finally joining the equality movement. I hope more men do. Women aren't asking for more pay, just equal pay for equal work. Now he has an understanding of what women go through - it's great. Brilliant, in fact. Now that men like him are being outearned, we might finally see some change by those who have the power to change it - the middleclass white man.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:53 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

By all means let's have that debate!

In some European countries, 80% of incoming teaching personnel are female. Does that situation represent bias against men? Do you see anything wrong with it?

Or does it represent equality?
Or does it represent the fact that men don't want to be teachers??

In Canada we have affirmative action for men to get into teacher's college. When my brother applied, he checked off a "male" box and that sent him to the front of the line. His incoming scores could be significantly lower than that of competing females, precisely because there were so FEW male applicants. The few that existed were given better odds of getting in. What more do you propose be done? Should we force men into teaching against their will?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:54 AM
Damn. I was hoping finaceguy's title was indeed true. It would be about damned time.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:18 PM   #21
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 04:54 PM
OH NO.

Women are ... are ... WORKING! AND GETTING PAID DECENTLY TOO!

It's the Apocalypse, people.

Seriously, for fuck's sake. This article completely fails to show a bias against men. It's all in your mind, financeguy.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 08-05-2007, 09:37 PM   #22
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:54 PM
I just can't fathom, how someone comes up with the conclusions this poster does from the "evidence" he provides.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #23
She's the One

Local Time: 09:54 PM
oh noes

More evidence that those broads are taking over! If we only knew how to stop them!

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...-pe-california

Quote:
According to preliminary figures, 87 women are entering a freshman class of 206 students in September. That 37% share is Caltech's highest since it began admitting undergraduate women in 1970,
Quote:
Although Caltech insists that it did not lower its notoriously tough admission standards or practice affirmative action for women, the school said it more actively and shrewdly recruited women this year.
Clearly Caltech must be discriminating against men.

Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

the reason why women are beginning to outpace men both in terms of college applications, and then acceptance, as well as graduate school application, and then acceptance, is because they tend to have much, much higher GPAs.

so, if we can generally accept that tests like the SAT or the GRE or the LSAT are culturally biased against different socioeconomic groups, can we accept that the structure of high school, in particular, where one must sit still and pay attention and take detailed notes and master material and then spit it back out for a test, is culturally biased against men?

surely we're not going to say that women are simply smarter than men, are we? we'd never say that one group -- say, Southeast Asian Indians -- are smarter than another group -- say, Latino/as -- simply because they have much higher average SAT scores?

are men/boys disadvantaged by the very structure of the secondary education system itself?
Old 08-06-2007, 01:28 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Re: oh noes

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Clearly Caltech must be discriminating against men.

You think so?

It's an interesting point. It is well known that men tend to be better at science, so if the male proportion of a college's intake into science courses is rapidly decreasing it could well be that they are indeed discriminating against men.

An interesting point - thanks for raising it.

BTW, I love the typically PC title on this article:- "Caltech chemistry improves".

A decline in male enrolments is unambiguously a good thing, in the LA Times's view of the world.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:14 PM   #26
She's the One

Re: Re: oh noes

Quote:
It's an interesting point. It is well known that men tend to be better at science, so if the male proportion of a college's intake into science courses is rapidly decreasing it could well be that they are indeed discriminating against men......

A decline in male enrolments is unambiguously a good thing, in the LA Times's view of the world.
You are pathetic in your paranoia. You read an article about how one fucking third of a freshman class is women, how this particular college only allowed women to be undergrads in 1970, and you conclude that the male population in thses colleges is "rapidly decreasing."

You poor perscuted thing.

I cannot imagine the misfortune of your female coworkers.

Where's that ignore button?
Old 08-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #27
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

are men/boys disadvantaged by the very structure of the secondary education system itself?
A legitimate point, but neither of these articles is about that.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:27 PM   #28
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

A legitimate point, but neither of these articles is about that.

true, i was being quite tangental.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

I think that is an interesting point. At the same time, a good question would be whether today's generation of boys is somehow different than the one even 20 years ago, when they were still dominating university admissions and professional programs. These are good sociological studies to pursue.

But pay equity is really a whole other beast and financeguy seems, frankly paranoid. He states men are "better" at science - is that actually true or has it just been male-dominated for centuries. With equity in admissions to things like engineering, will we see a reversal in this belief that men are somehow better in those disciplines? Time will tell.
Old 08-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:54 AM
Re: Re: Re: oh noes

Quote:

You are pathetic in your paranoia. You read an article about how one fucking third of a freshman class is women, how this particular college only allowed women to be undergrads in 1970, and you conclude that the male population in thses colleges is "rapidly decreasing."

You poor perscuted thing.

I cannot imagine the misfortune of your female coworkers.

Where's that ignore button?

You are a nasty bigot, a liar and a hypocrite.

You are not fit to be allowed near children, with your nasty bigotted attitudes.