The Nativity Story movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
The Nativity Story site

site has trailors for viewing

I believe they are going to roll this out to church groups first,

Like they did with The Passion

Will this be as controversial as The Passion?

I saw the previews last night.

The casting looks good

mary_well_1024.jpg

deep said:
The Nativity Story site

site has trailors for viewing

I believe they are going to roll this out to church groups first,

Like they did with The Passion

Will this be as controversial as The Passion?

I saw the previews last night.

The casting looks good

I'm looking forward to this; it looks very well made.

Great casting. I love Shohreh Aghdashloo and the girl from The Whale Rider is more than solid. The cinematography looks to be good too, very nice sets.

From watching the trailer, the scene where they're caught in the river looks very exciting.

I'm almost afraid to ask, but why would it be especially controversial?

deep said:
Why was the Passion controversial?

The Passion was controversial for several reasons. 1) Extremely violent and 2) It protrays Jewish leaders in a very negative light. 3) Mel Gibson's father

It is never good to be labeled "Christ-killer" - as Yolland has pointed out in other threads, this actually still happens.

Most Christians understand that Jesus was Jewish - and so were his family, disciples, Paul the Apostle...etc. However, other Christians seem to blame the Jews for killing Christ. (which is strange because without the Cross - their is no Christ)

This movie won't be controversial because almost everyone loves Baby Jesus and the nativity.

:| Why should this be controversial ? It looks like a boring christmass movie to me.

Rono said:
:| Why should this be controversial ? It looks like a boring christmass movie to me.

Think of all the drama involved:

Unwed girl becomes pregnant. Entire community ostracizes her, though she swears she's a virgin. Fiance doesn't even believe her and believes she has had sex with some man. He turns against her, until an angel appears to him in a dream and tells him the truth. They travel a long treacherous journey to their home town, where she gives birth - in a stable of all places. Angels put on a choral concert for shepherds, who then head to the birth place and worship the child. Meanwhile, the King is plotting to kill all male babies, and so the parents must take their child and try to escape to a land they've never been to before.

Doesn't sound boring to me.

AEON said:

The Passion was controversial for several reasons. 1) Extremely violent and 2) It protrays Jewish leaders in a very negative light. 3) Mel Gibson's father

It is never good to be labeled "Christ-killer" - as Yolland has pointed out in other threads, this actually still happens.

Most Christians understand that Jesus was Jewish - and so were his family, disciples, Paul the Apostle...etc. However, other Christians seem to blame the Jews for killing Christ. (which is strange because without the Cross - their is no Christ)

This movie won't be controversial because almost everyone loves Baby Jesus and the nativity.

all good points

but, there have been dozens of movies about the crucifixion that were not controversial

the Passion

and Last Temptation, which never claimed to be factual

are the only two that come to mind.

If Gibson, did this story

he could go off on Jewish stereotypes, too

with the gruesome slaughter of the first born

and what else.

Thanks for sharing this link, deep. I'm very excited about this. I heard they were doing it, but I haven't heard anything in a while.

It looks very moving. I'm very excited that Keisha Castle-Hughes is playing Mary. Whale Rider is one of my all-time favorite movies. She should've gotten the Oscar for best actress. She's brilliant.

I still don't understand why the Jewish community got so peeved over The Passion. The Jews did hate Jesus, as did the Romans, as do alot of people today.

People just need something to get angry over these days.

shart1780 said:
I still don't understand why the Jewish community got so peeved over The Passion. The Jews did hate Jesus, as did the Romans,

Geez...actually *read* the New Testament sometime, will ya!

The Jewish people loved Jesus (where do you think the crowds he preached to came from, Mars?)--It was the religious/political leadership that had the problem w/him...sheesh!!!!!!!:eyebrow:

kimby said:

Geez...actually *read* the New Testament sometime, will ya!

The Jewish people loved Jesus (where do you think the crowds he preached to came from, Mars?)--It was the religious/political leadership that had the problem w/him...sheesh!!!!!!!:eyebrow:

Actually, according to the Bible, you are incorrect. The crowd that had gathered outside Pilate's palace was indeed crying out for Christ's crucifixion.

Christ was popular with the people at first, but the religious leaders stirred up people's anger against him.

I think that no matter what time Jesus showed up in or who He was surrouned by the majority of people would end up hating Him. Of course some people will come to be saved, but sinful people wouldn't have tolerated the son of God under any circumstances.

I am not Jewish

but, I think it is really unfair to suggest that people that did not accept Jesus

were sinful or evil

a lot of these people just went to their place of worship and practiced their religion

and were very decent people

deep said:
I am not sinful

you can live with that programed thinking

if you wish

I reject it

I'm curious about this. Is it because:

(1) You don't believe in the concept of sin?

or

(2) You believe in sin, but believe that you do not commit sin

or

(3) You are born again, and are identifying yourself the way God identifies you?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

:huh: So only those free of sin will tolerate the son of God?

Haven't met anyone like that.

Only those who accept Jesus won't reject Him. We all have sin, but I was referring to those who don't ask Jesus for forgeviness.

My main point is that alot of Jews get upset about movies like The Passion because the Jews are portrayed as the ones who hated Jesus (which is true), but that's only because He was born there. If Jesus were born anywhere else in the world the same thing would have happened because the world's population generally hasn't accepted Jesus.

shart1780 said:

Only those who accept Jesus won't reject Him. We all have sin, but I was referring to those who don't ask Jesus for forgeviness.

My main point is that alot of Jews get upset about movies like The Passion because the Jews are portrayed as the ones who hated Jesus (which is true), but that's only because He was born there. If Jesus were born anywhere else in the world the same thing would have happened because the world's population generally hasn't accepted Jesus.

Not all Jews hated Jesus. The Jerusalem church numbered at least 120 Jews. Peter was a Jew. Paul was a Jew. James was a Jew.

It is true that Christianity had more success with Greeks - but the first generation leaders were all Jewish.

shart1780 said:

If Jesus were born anywhere else in the world the same thing would have happened because the world's population generally hasn't accepted Jesus.

If Jesus were alive today, most "christians" wouldn't recognize him and reject him as well.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

If Jesus were alive today, most "christians" wouldn't recognize him and reject him as well.

According to the Bible, you are wrong.

First, Jesus is alive today.

Secondly, I was going to bring up the nature of Christ's second coming and how it will be impossible for his children not to know him, but I really do not need to go into great detail on that.

The biggest support for my stance are in the following words of Christ himself.

John 10

1 “Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
2 But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.
3 To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.
4 And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.
5 Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers.”
6 Jesus used this illustration, but they did not understand the things which He spoke to them.
Jesus the Good Shepherd

7 Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.
8 All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them.
9 I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.
10 The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

11 “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd gives His life for the sheep.
12 But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.
13 The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.
14 I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.
15 As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down My life for the sheep.

Back
Top Bottom