The Nativity Story movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Actually, no you keep avoiding the hell question.

What hell question? I never said that hell was in the core of the earth.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I honestly have no problem with this. In fact I believe I stated that this wasn't the issue I had. Yes Christ had a body, but it doesn't mean he has to have one now.

What happened to it between the time that he ascended and now? We know his body didn't die, because Christ did not die a second time. So, why do you assume that he doesn't have one in Heaven, especially in light of the verses that tell us he does still have one?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

I honestly have no problem with this. In fact I believe I stated that this wasn't the issue I had. Yes Christ had a body, but it doesn't mean he has to have one now.

But wait, that verse is written at a time after the ascension. It was written in present tense, so we know that after Christ went back to heaven, he still had a body. So, why would he not still have one now?

How do places and bodies "exist" outside of time and space?

yolland said:
How do places and bodies "exist" outside of time and space?

That's something that I would assume only God knows the answer to. After all, he is the one who isn't bound by the laws of physics or man's wisdom.

I confess I haven't read this whole thread yet. I'm on my very short lunch break, so I'll come back later. But I just had to say. I saw the thread title, read the first couple posts, and I was like "How on earth did this thread turn into multiple pages. Where is the controversy?" And then about page two, I realized "Ohhhhh. . . okay."

80sU2isBest said:

What hell question? I never said that hell was in the core of the earth.

But by your logic and literal interpretation, it would have to be, right?

80sU2isBest said:

What happened to it between the time that he ascended and now? We know his body didn't die, because Christ did not die a second time. So, why do you assume that he doesn't have one in Heaven, especially in light of the verses that tell us he does still have one?

How is it you can accept the idea of God and Heaven existing beyond the laws of physics and our known dimensions, but the fact that Jesus would have no use for a body is beyond you?

80sU2isBest said:

But wait, that verse is written at a time after the ascension. It was written in present tense, so we know that after Christ went back to heaven, he still had a body. So, why would he not still have one now?

No one was there with him after the ascension, so anyone's telling of this is just their speculation.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But by your logic and literal interpretation, it would have to be, right?

If the Bible specifically says that Hell is in the core of the Earth, I believe it.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How is it you can accept the idea of God and Heaven existing beyond the laws of physics and our known dimensions, but the fact that Jesus would have no use for a body is beyond you?

because both ideas (God being beyond the laws of physics and Jesus having a body in Heaven) are presented in the the Bible.

Let me turn that question around on you.

Do you accept that God is not bound by the laws of physics? If so, then why do you not accept that there might be a use for Christ to have a perfect physical body in heaven?

BonoVoxSupastar said:

No one was there with him after the ascension, so anyone's telling of this is just their speculation.

Actually someone was brought up into Heaven to be with Jesus, but it wasn't Paul. It was John the Revelator.

The Bible tells us that it is the word of God, and that it is God-breathed. The words are God's; the scribe is man. That's the way that someone could know that Christcurrently has a body.

Paul wrote that Christ is in bodily form. I believe that every word in the Bible is true. If you do not believe that every word in the Bible is true, than we don't have any common ground on which to base our discussion, and neither of us will ever be convinced of the other's position.

80sU2isBest said:

If the Bible specifically says that Hell is in the core of the Earth, I believe it.

You're avoiding the question. The Bible states several times when mentioning hell the word 'descent'. So, if we are taking everything literally, it must be below our feet as we speak, right?

80sU2isBest said:

because both ideas (God being beyond the laws of physics and Jesus having a body in Heaven) are presented in the the Bible.

Let me turn that question around on you.

Do you accept that God is not bound by the laws of physics? If so, then why do you not accept that there might be a use for Christ to have a perfect physical body in heaven?

That question doesn't make sense, because if he is beyond the laws of physics a physical body would be useless.

80sU2isBest said:

If you do not believe that every word in the Bible is true, than we don't have any common ground on which to base our discussion, and neither of us will ever be convinced of the other's position.

This is true.

I believe that every word in the Bible is true. If you do not believe that every word in the Bible is true, than we don't have any common ground on which to base our discussion

this was the argument in the scopes trial

with this belief

does one believe that

the earth is just a few thousand years old?

i don't think a lot about heaven or the afterlife

i think it is more important to think about this life
and the choices we make and how we treat other people

but, if there is an afterlife
and if Jesus is there with others

I believe they have bodies
and my religious upbringing
and study of the Bible supports this

so, I guess what ever part of me is/was a believer
is with 80s on this one

what is the point of eternal life without a body
sounds more like Hell
to me

we all remember
Million Dollar Baby

not much joy
being alive without a body

coemgen said:
Where does Paul say Christ has a physical body in heaven?

Sorry if you've already posted this.

Colossians 2: 8-10 is one place.

"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power."

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're avoiding the question. The Bible states several times when mentioning hell the word 'descent'. So, if we are taking everything literally, it must be below our feet as we speak, right?

In the same way that I said Heaven could be a physical place without man being able to find it, so could hell.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
because if he is beyond the laws of physics a physical body would be useless.

I don't understand why being beyond the laws of physics makes a physical body useless. Remember, the body I am talking about here is not a body that is plagued by human weakness, sickness or limitation.

80sU2isBest said:

I don't understand why being beyond the laws of physics makes a physical body useless. Remember, the body I am talking about here is not a body that is plagued by human weakness, sickness or limitation.

A physical body by defintion is only guided by the law of physics and science. Our body's purpose is touch, sense, and move our being. If the laws of science didn't apply we wouldn't need the physical body. It would be redundant, therefore useless.

It's out Friday, I think I'll see it

CHICAGO (AP) - A public Christmas festival is no place for the Christmas story, the city says. Officials have asked organizers of a downtown Christmas festival, the German Christkindlmarket, to reconsider using a movie studio as a sponsor because it is worried ads for its film "The Nativity Story" might offend non-Christians.

New Line Cinema, which said it was dropped, had planned to play a loop of the new film on televisions at the event. The decision had both the studio and a prominent Christian group shaking their heads.

"The last time I checked, the first six letters of Christmas still spell out Christ," said Paul Braoudakis, spokesman for the Barrington, Ill.-based Willow Creek Association, a group of more than 11,000 churches of various denominations. "It's tantamount to celebrating Lincoln's birthday without talking about Abraham Lincoln."

He also said that there is a nativity scene in Daley Plaza - and that some vendors at the festival sell items related to the nativity.

The city does not want to appear to endorse one religion over another, said Cindy Gatziolis, a spokeswoman for the Mayor's Office of Special Events. She acknowledged there is a nativity scene, but also said there will be representations of other faiths, including a Jewish menorah, all put up by private groups. She stressed that the city did not order organizers to drop the studio as a sponsor.

"Our guidance was that this very prominently placed advertisement would not only be insensitive to the many people of different faiths who come to enjoy the market for its food and unique gifts, but also it would be contrary to acceptable advertising standards suggested to the many festivals holding events on Daley Plaza," Jim Law, executive director of the office, said in a statement.

Officials with the German American Chamber of Commerce of the Midwest, which has organized the event for several years, did not immediately return calls for comment. The festival started Thursday.

An executive vice president with New Line Cinema, Christina Kounelias, said the studio's plan to spend $12,000 in Chicago was part of an advertising campaign around the country. Kounelias said that as far as she knew, the Chicago festival was the only instance where the studio was turned down.

Kounelias said she finds it hard to believe that non-Christians who attended something called Christkindlmarket would be surprised or offended by the presence of posters, brochures and other advertisements of the movie.

"One would assume that if (people) were to go to Christkindlmarket, they'd know it is about Christmas," she said.

:uhoh: <--------- anticipating another "it's the Christmas season so let's talk about how Christians are persecuted when society failes to fully embrace at all levels how we'd like Christmas to be celebrated and i'm offended when someone offers me 'happy holidays' or 'seasons greetings' instead of 'merry christmas' so there" FYM Thread.

(and no offense to Mrs. S, i actually considered posting the same article, i'm just anticipating the reaction)

Well I'm certainly not into all of that and dragging that up again, but at the same time it does seem silly given the description of the event :shrug: Even though I am definitely not into foisting/forcing or excluding anyone, some things still seem silly and overly pc in that regard to me. I honestly don't see how anyone at that specific event would have been offended by that. You can pick and choose what you want to look at at that market I would assume. If I went to something like that and there were ads for Muslim or any any other faith movies, I couldn't care less.

I don't feel persecuted in any way, shape, or form-but I still feel a certain way about certain situations.

Couldn't we then eventually argue that trailers for that movie shouldn't be shown before other movies at a theater because people who don't choose to see that movie and/or aren't Christians might be offended in some way?

i couldn't care less either, but i'm just anticipating the "look! we're just as persecuted as anyone else!" posts that i fear are coming.

but they are fun to read, and an annual tradition in FYM. i'd hardly know it was Christmas without someone being offended that their children aren't singing "Silent Night" at the holiday chorus concert.

I don't think this movie will be controversial. It's not violent the way "The Passion" was, it doesn't put the Jews in a negative light, and Aeon is right, everyone loves Baby Jesus. Even if you're not a believer.

Irvine511 said:
:uhoh: <--------- anticipating another "it's the Christmas season so let's talk about how Christians are persecuted when society failes to fully embrace at all levels how we'd like Christmas to be celebrated and i'm offended when someone offers me 'happy holidays' or 'seasons greetings' instead of 'merry christmas' so there" FYM Thread.

I didn't know Bill posted here!!! :hyper: :angry:

Actually, as a Christian, I prefer it when people say Happy Holidays. A) Because it is acknowledging other holidays that take place during the timespan, and I love celebrating with my friends in their traditions B) It seems as though people only say Merry Christmas on just one day. To me, Christmas is a season and lasts for a number of weeks. I like to celebrate more than just the one day, you know, but the whole spirit of the occasion. People are free to tell me whatever they want, but I prefer when people wish me a happy season rather than one day.

Back to the movie, I saw the trailer and it looks magnificent!!! I don't think I've ever seen a film that was specifically about Jesus' birth. Mary has always been a hero to me, someone who despite being fully aware of her faults, opened herself up to love, and accepted God's love for her. Not of course, without a bit of hesitation.

But still, I'm someone who is insecure, and is always second guessing herself and intuition, it gives me hope to think of her.

I didn't realize it was coming out Friday! I'm supposed to be on lockdown, but I'm going to have to make an exception!

nathan1977 said:
I like to think of Jesus as a mischievous badger.
:yikes: Dog lovers may not want to read the following, but...a friend of mine's Border Collie was killed by a badger last year--they'd gone out for a nocturnal jog, it ran across their path and the poor dog made the mistake of impulsively charging it (to "herd" it) before my friend could call him away (he didn't have him on a leash, unfortunately). It actually tore his dog's head off! They are VERY strong animals and can be utterly vicious if provoked, at least the species we have here in the US--I'd recommend giving it a wide berth should you ever encounter one!

Last edited:
martha said:
I always thought Happy Holidays included New Year's. But what do I know.

Ah true true! That's why I also like to think of it as a number of weeks of partying and celebrating :)

Yolland - actually, as a dog lover, I'm glad I read it! I take me pup out in the evening when I'm stressed and need fresh air. The area here is rather poorly lit, and chock full of small animals. Unless Bailey lets me attach a flashlight to his head, I'm gonna stop walking him late at night. It is getting too cold for that anyway.

Back
Top Bottom