The 'nanny state' has taken over my school!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
anitram said:
I don't see what the big deal is, that stuff is just plain disgusting in the first place. We didn't even have vending machines when I was in school at first, many moons ago and it was no great loss either way.

Diet drinks have aspartame, which has loosely been associated with some tumorigenesis, but at extremely high doses which you simply cannot reach by drinking Diet drinks. A bigger concern is the kidneys.

Many people prefer the diet stuff because you don't get that gritty feeling on your teeth later on.

Yeah, you know, I'm always surprised at the vending machines, the food choices, even the bit of so many students driving themselves to school. When I was in school it was virtually unheard of (well, when I went to private high school we find our own way there, so there were some carpools).

Times change and so many things that were never even imagined are now thought of as necessities. Interesting.

There have been bills in California to ban soda drinks because of the non-diet sodas.

Besides, I thought Hillery told us that the village raises the children..... :wink:

Klaus said:
MissMaCo
:lol:

Free Klenex for MissMaCo :sexywink: and of course lots of Kleenex for Tomer :laugh:
kleenex.gif

something blows it away before i can get it

kleenex :drool:

I guess I am old school because I don't think school is a place for junk food. Schools should be setting the standard for a healthy lifestyle. Junk food also causes behavior problems due the sugar. When I taught school, I sent a letter home at the beginning of the year describing the problems associated with food high in sugar and I got a lot of support from parents.
Eat healthy and live better!

I cut down on cola consumption, started eating apples and I have never felt better - the taste in my mouth after 3 days straight of video games and junk food roughly equates to the condition of "assmouth", I didn't make up the word but apparently it is a side effect of consuming carbonated sugar drinks and sleeping on empty pizza boxes.

Basically try going without junk for a few days and notice the difference - but dont cut it out of your diet, thats plain dumb. Eating junk is fun and doesn't harm anybody but yourself.

Last edited:
the soda machines where i work have been on a timer since i was a student there... ya can't access them before school is out. never been a problem :shrug:

while i don't think we should limit the food that we're able to purchase, i do think we're a nation of fatty fat fatheads... but then again, if you eat nothing but healthy food, but eat tons of it and never exercise, you're gonna be a fatty fat fathead, too.

I have no problem with this at all. My son just started his senior year and came home all bent out of shape because he couldn't buy a coke with his lunch. At home, we rarely buy soda and we drink bottled water by the case...I don't see why that should change when he's at school.

Yes, he is old enough to decide what he wants to eat and drink but I don't think schools are obligated to supply junk food.

I'm pretty happy with the food changes in schools over the last few years. When my kids were in elementary school, nobody wanted to be absent on Pizza Hut day and Taco Bell day, when the restaurants actually delivered kid size lunches...just try and be the parent who made their kid bring a sack lunch on those days. :yikes: The junk food thing got so bad that it wasn't unusual to see 3 or 4 parents delivering McDonald's lunches to their kids who didn't like what was on the school menu that day :|

i agree everyone should have a choice of what they want to eat or drink, but then later on down the line everyone's gonna complain that its the school's fault, etc...i think its cool the schools are making an effort of some sorts.

you also have to remember that most kids don't have gym class anymore either because of budget cuts. In my four years of high school and eight semesters, I had gym for one semester. Ten years ago when I was in high school, it wasn't a problem thought because obesity wasn't the issue it now. I just don't understand why parents would let their kids eat all that crap. My mom always packed my lunch and it never included pop or soda of any kind.

What does it have to do with the government anyway? My HS had about 25 drink vending machines, all contracted out by Pepsi (I'm not sure if we even had any with snacks). I used to be able to get a can of Dew for 75 cents, but by my Sr. year, there was nothing less than 20 oz bottles. But Pepsi owned the machines so it their decision to make what goes in what :shrug: I guess I don't see what the big deal is. Most people aren't skinny with a high enough metabolsim to be chugging Dr. Pepper all day anyway! It's gotta be cheaper to buy them in bulk from the store.

I think it's a good decision the school made. It's difficult to ignore the huge amount of fat and unhealthy kids and the school obviously evaluated their role in this. If more schools, companies and parents took their responsibility, maybe we'd have less 170lbs ten year olds.

anitram said:

Diet drinks have aspartame, which has loosely been associated with some tumorigenesis, but at extremely high doses which you simply cannot reach by drinking Diet drinks. A bigger concern is the kidneys.

true. but most dont know this. or understand it.

people should be able to choose their vice. but those having a greater likelihood of being harmful should be labelled with warnings and/or cost more.

like alchohol vs. water.

As a parent I am in favour of healthier snacks being made available to my children. However, diet drinks, tea and water are not enough. Pop and water are available at our school but so are fruit juices and sports drinks like gatorade.

kobayashi said:

people should be able to choose their vice. but those having a greater likelihood of being harmful should be labelled with warnings and/or cost more.

like alchohol vs. water.

You mean water is bad for you?! :D

nbcrusader said:

Which, based on sugar content, can be just as bad....

well it can be comparatively 'bad' if its consumption is not associated with activity.

Back
Top Bottom