The myth of a Palestinian State

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

the iron horse

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Where did a Palestinian State ever exist in history?

I know that some will just flame me on this, but it would be nice if others would try to bring some history and facts to this issue.

*the world media ain't doin' it*

thanks

the iron horse said:

I know that some will just flame me on this, but it would be nice if others would try to bring some history and facts to this issue.

It's a dubious question, because you could say the same about many former territories of disintegrating empires, such as Syria, Jordan, Lebanon, and Iraq. Israel, as a Jewish nation, didn't exist for 2,500 years, instead being part of a revolving door of empires--although there was a brief 200 year interlude during the Crusades when Christian Europe tried to reclaim it from Muslim control. It failed, but it is this part of history that Muslims wish to repeat again.

Regardless, the land of Israel was under Muslim control for about 1200 years.

Melon

the iron horse said:

Seriously what's the point of this thread?

You ask a question, but you've already called it a myth...

*so much for freeing that mind*

"Regardless, the land of Israel was under Muslim control for about 1200 years."

And some history please on what the Muslims did all those years
in that land?

And regardless, you failed to put forth a historical fact on the existence of a Palestinian State in history.

the iron horse said:
"Regardless, the land of Israel was under Muslim control for about 1200 years."

And some history please on what the Muslims did all those years
in that land?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Palestine

And regardless, you failed to put forth a historical fact on the existence of a Palestinian State in history.

It's like asking for a historical fact on the existence of an "American State in history"--it doesn't exist, because there's no nation called "America." Palestine is merely a regional name, like "New England," that originates from the Roman name for this province, "Palestina."

Judging solely by history, there's a much longer history of a Muslim presence in the region than a Jewish one. The one constant about this region is that it has been an endless place of territorial conflict. Even the Bible states this, as the Israelites claim to have killed their way to conquering this territory (although, from an archaeology POV, they seem to merely be an outgrowth of the existing Semitic/Canaanite cultures, rather than an invading tribe).

I say this with the ambivalence of a historian, because I don't have a particular affinity for Israel's neighbors.

Melon

I think Melon was willing to bring in the facts and history requested by Iron Horse. Even so, it is a Muslim history, not a “Palestinian” history. Given the states surrounding Israel, it seems that Muslims have keeps fairly tight control on the land in the region.

The argument on behalf of the “Palestinian” people is perpetuated more as a thorn in Israel’s side than it is to provide a home for the people in the area. Millions are spent on weapons and explosives instead of infrastructure and the creation of a permanent job base. The wealth of their Muslim brothers is not directed at any permanent humanitarian solution.

nbcrusader said:
I think Melon was willing to bring in the facts and history requested by Iron Horse. Even so, it is a Muslim history, not a “Palestinian” history. Given the states surrounding Israel, it seems that Muslims have keeps fairly tight control on the land in the region.

The argument on behalf of the “Palestinian” people is perpetuated more as a thorn in Israel’s side than it is to provide a home for the people in the area. Millions are spent on weapons and explosives instead of infrastructure and the creation of a permanent job base. The wealth of their Muslim brothers is not directed at any permanent humanitarian solution.

This is very true.

Back
Top Bottom