The most trusted NEWS source in America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on. I'm a mid-level Fox hater. I've got no beef with it's bias, and only hate how unbelievably dumbed down it is (with MSNBC bad too, and so - sadly - they've both dragged CNN down over the years). But when it comes to their 'coverage' of events, they're pathetic. Easily the worst. They could do better, their News Corp 'serious news' sister channel in the UK (Sky News) is fantastic for this, so they've got the links or network there to use. An event occurs, and they obviously invest all their energy only in coming up with a Michael Bay headline/graphics for it, and figuring out how it can be forced through a US left/right political filter, and absolutely no energy on information or education or analysis whatever, let alone actual decent on the ground coverage. Do yourself a favour - when shit goes down, grab the remote and flick to BBC News.

I didn't know there was any subliminal "Obama is evil" message in their coverage of natural disasters, police chases, missing children, or other truly newsworthy events. :rolleyes:

I'd love to see examples.

I didn't know there was any subliminal "Obama is evil" message in their coverage of natural disasters, police chases, missing children, or other truly newsworthy events. :rolleyes:

Do you even read? I mean, where in Ernie's post did he say anything to this effect??

You also seem to be oblivious to the very simple notion that there are many of us out there that neither watch nor subscribe to Fox OR MSNBC.

Turn on the BBC indeed.

2861U2 said:

I believe he said they make everything partisan, not that they make everything about Obama.

mediaite.com

On Friday’s edition of The Five, Eric Bolling criticized President Obama for omitting reference to God in his Thanksgiving message. “I feel terrible — I absolutely think he should’ve had some sort of mention,” Bolling argued. “We’re thankful to whom? About 86% of the country believes in some form of a God — whether it’s Christianity or Islam or what not.” Panelist and former White House press secretary Dana Perino came to the President’s defense, saying she felt there was no substance to the outrage. “I think if you look back at the Thanksgiving messages in the past three presidencies, usually it’s in there. Sometimes it’s not, including the last year of President Bush’s administration. It’s depending on the speech writer at the time and what the president feels like saying. I just don’t read anything in this.”

“I don’t think it’s in question who you’re thankful to, it’s a personal thing,” Perino added. “It’s not a partisan thing. In the last two Thanksgiving messages that Obama’s done, the word God was in those messages, it wasn’t this year. I don’t think there’s anything to read into.”

The subject came about through complaints from the conservative blogosphere that the president was allegedly snubbing God in his speech. Fox News columnist Todd Starnes said President Obama’s remarks were “void of any religious references although Thanksgiving is a holiday traditionally steeped in giving thanks and praise to God.”

Conservative commentator Ben Shapiro went even further — stretching the “Obama didn’t mention God” media narrative to comically ridiculous heights by calling the President a “militant atheist.” “Unreal that Obama doesn’t mention God in Thanksgiving message,” Shapiro exclaimed. “Militant atheist. To whom does he think we are giving thanks?”

“If President Obama had been the very first president ever to not say the word “God” in the Thanksgiving message this topic would’ve been worth doing,” Perino concluded.

Is this being presented as an example of some sort of institutional bias at FNC? Because "The Five" is an opinion show, and Bolling's remark was shot down by multiple people on the panel, including a conservative. :shrug:

2861U2 said:
Is this being presented as an example of some sort of institutional bias at FNC? Because "The Five" is an opinion show, and Bolling's remark was shot down by multiple people on the panel, including a conservative. :shrug:

No just an example of their asinine programming, and their choice of ignorant "experts".

No, actually I posted it because she did. I don't watch that show on a regular basis, it's so bad that I'd rather gouge out my eyeballs with a fork. So I don't know what goes on there on a regular basis. But if anyone is going to talk about Obama "dissing" God they should get their facts straight first. Personally I think God is too busy on Thanksgiving worrying about people who don't have anything to eat or a roof over their heads to even give that one thought.

Newt Gingrich took a swipe at Fox News during a town hall meeting on Tuesday.

Gingrich, who has been surging in the presidential polls, was in the key state of South Carolina taking questions. Think Progress caught video of Gingrich's response to one query. A woman in the audience asked a complex question about the Obama administration's AIDS policy, and wondered what Gingrich thought about the issue. The candidate admitted that the information was new to him, and that he didn't know enough to give her a response. Then he hit out at Fox News -- which used to employ him as an analyst before dropping him when he made his intentions to run for president clear.

"One of the real changes that comes when you start running for President -- as opposed to being an analyst on Fox -- is I have to actually know what I'm talking about," he said. The woman let out a startled laugh, and the audience joined in. "It's a severe limitation," Gingrich added.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TILIsFwPwYo&feature=player_embedded

Question to longtime MSNBC viewers:

Was MSNBC so "weaponized" to being horrible in the early 2000s? I wasn't a viewer back then, and I am just wondering if Fox's coverage started a kind of arms race of wilful, almost proud brashness and ignorance in the cable news arena.

Oh, except for coverage of storms and cats stuck in trees and stuff like that, tee hee.

as I recall, not near as much as today

it does seem like a conscious decision to be the network designed to cater to the more progressive / liberal viewers,
my guess is that programing thought they could corner that market

Was MSNBC so "weaponized" to being horrible in the early 2000s? I wasn't a viewer back then, and I am just wondering if Fox's coverage started a kind of arms race of wilful, almost proud brashness and ignorance in the cable news arena.

yes. it was the original success of The O'Reilly Factor in the very early '00's that kickstarted the movement to invest in a prime time line up with "star" power and build the network brand around these singular personalities able to deliver ratings. with the mild success of Olbermann (ironically by bashing O'Reilly as much as he could), MSNBC decided to be the ying to Fox's yang.

a specific audience was attracted, and this in turn to giving viewers more of what they wanted to see and hear throughout the day, not just at prime time.

Question to longtime MSNBC viewers:

Oh, except for coverage of storms and cats stuck in trees and stuff like that, tee hee.

I'd say no. It was the station I watched during the twists and turns of Bush vs Gore in 2000. Chris Mathews was still sane, Olberman was doing sports for Fox then (believe it or not). MSNBC used to give conservatives like Dennis Miller, Mary Matalin and Carson Tucker their own shows (believe it or not). And MSNBC once even had the hottest news-babe on cable (believe it or not). The young Norah O'Donnell...

odonnell19.JPG

i think the best cable news chat show is on MSNBC -- "Morning Joe," hosted by increasingly sane conservative Joe Scaroborogh, and super-amazing just-what-is-going-through-your-awesomely-coiffed-head-while-those-boys-ignore-you-and-what-will-it-take-to-get-them-to-just-listen-to-you-for-once La Femme Mika Brzezinski.

mika.brzezinski.joe.scarborough.png

I'll actually agree with you. It's certainly the lone bright spot in the MSNBC lineup, and overall a tad bit better than both "Fox and Friends" and "The Five."

Does anyone under the age of 40 still watch tv?

Apparently, on the evidence of this thread, the answer is yes, but I'm always amazed that internet savvy people still do. Who takes anything on tv seriously, particularly and especially mainstream "news" sources in America? Because they're chockful of lies and propaganda and easily provably so. They knowingly shilled for a war sold on a tissue of lies that killed hundreds of thousands of people - isn't that, of itself, enough not to bother with them any more?

Apparently, on the evidence of this thread, the answer is yes, but I'm always amazed that internet savvy people still do. Who takes anything on tv seriously, particularly and especially mainstream "news" sources in America? Because they're chockful of lies and propaganda and easily provably so. They knowingly shilled for a war sold on a tissue of lies that killed hundreds of thousands of people - isn't that, of itself, enough not to bother with them any more?

at least the networks are generally free of all-encompassing, apocalyptic conspiracy theories. :shrug:

at least the networks are generally free of all-encompassing, apocalyptic conspiracy theories. :shrug:

z7shysterical.gif

What is global warming if not an apocalyptic conspiracy theory?

Here's one network show, NBC Nightly News with Brian Williams, that 2 minutes of google searching turned up two stories in 2011 in which they linked April tornados and the recent Halloween snowstorm to global warming. There are no doubt more.

Brian Williams | Tornadoes | Global Warming | The Daily Caller

NBC Nightly News Blames Halloween Snowstorm on Global Warming | NewsBusters.org

I'd say no. It was the station I watched during the twists and turns of Bush vs Gore in 2000. Chris Mathews was still sane, Olberman was doing sports for Fox then (believe it or not). MSNBC used to give conservatives like Dennis Miller, Mary Matalin and Carson Tucker their own shows (believe it or not). And MSNBC once even had the hottest news-babe on cable (believe it or not). The young Norah O'Donnell...

odonnell19.JPG
Goddamn, I just got a case of some hard nostalgia. We all used to be so innocent.... This has been a really shitty decade.

but how can we trust science when the only people who review it or know anything about it are "scientists"????? Seems a bit one sided

it's called science. but your party has never been a big fan of readin' and writin' and learnin', so i don't expect you to understand that.

Curious- Do you ever bother criticizing your own party when they refuse to adopt policies backed overwhelmingly by science?

I doubt it, because that wouldn't fit the narrative of the left having the monopoly on science, would it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom