The most trusted NEWS source in America? - Page 59 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #871
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trojanchick99 View Post
Well Karl Rove accused President Obama of suppressing the vote. Seriously. He claims that because Obama ran negative ads against Mitt Romney, conservatives didn't vote.

he's got to explain all that wasted billionaire money somehow ...

Old 11-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #872
Blue Crack Addict

How the hell does he keep a job? He might have to write a letter soon to Santa Obama.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #873
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:56 PM
Quote:
Well Karl Rove accused President Obama of suppressing the vote.
And the Chutzpah Award of the Week goes to...
Old 11-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #874
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl View Post
Bill's right. As a woman, I do want things. I want to be treated with respect and equal to men. I'm sure blacks and Hispanics want to be treated well in this country too.

So yes, we want "things".

I feel sorry for his two kids that they have a wacky dad like him.
This.

So good to see you've learned from the election results, Republicans ! Now who's whining and playing that evil "victim" card. Jesus Christ, wake up and get a damn clue already.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #875
Refugee

Local Time: 05:56 AM
Quote:
Well Karl Rove accused President Obama of suppressing the vote. Seriously. He claims that because Obama ran negative ads against Mitt Romney, conservatives didn't vote.
Karl Rove whinging about negative campaigning is astounding in its utter lack of self-awareness.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #876
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollox
Karl Rove whinging about negative campaigning is astounding in its utter lack of self-awareness.
That sums up the present day Republican Party as a whole.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #877
Refugee

True, the election post-mortem on Fox News has been highly entertaining. Apparently, the GOP lost the election because Romney wasn't conservative ENOUGH. (that, and the unholy alliance between Obama/Chris Christie/Liberal Weather-Control Machine)
Old 11-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #878
Blue Crack Supplier

i think, ironically, and wonderfully, it was Megyn Kelly who completely summed up what just happened to the GOP:

Quote:
“Is this just math that you do as a Republican to make yourself feel better?”
because that's what's been going on since January 20, 2009. from birth certificates to poll trutherism, the American Right has been lying to itself to make itself feel better for almost 4 years. and, worse, buying books and consuming media that's created specifically to assuage a reality they don't want to accept. they've paid people to lie to them.

hopefully, that's all over now.

but i bet it isn't.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #879
Blue Crack Addict

And if you look at the last month or so it isn't even only the Republicans. We had people here who are intelligent and far more informed than your average Joe and they were all talking about how great Romney's chances are and so on. Frankly I started thinking that maybe I was insane for being so bullish on Obama but even when I saw tightening of the race I never, ever saw it going to Romney. Nor did I find his chances good.

I also don't understand the weird fascination with Karl Rove. He was successful in 2004 by shoring up the evangelical base, stuffing ballot initiatives with anti-gay marriage propositions and so on. But he also had the benefit of a wartime president. In 2000 he lost the popular vote and arguably the election as well. What was his value in 2008? In 2012? Aside from pissing away money. And he's supposed to be some kind of guru of elections? Hello?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #880
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post

because that's what's been going on since January 20, 2009. from birth certificates to poll trutherism, the American Right has been lying to itself to make itself feel better for almost 4 years. and, worse, buying books and consuming media that's created specifically to assuage a reality they don't want to accept. they've paid people to lie to them.

but i bet it isn't.
Maybe its premature, but based on the right's outrage over Obama's reelection, I wouldn't be surprised if threats against him, liberal politicians and liberal voters worsen or even cared out. There are too many paranoid people out there.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #881
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Yeah, like I said, that's what I worry very deeply about, too. The GOP and its supporters have a serious problem, and while we sit here and laugh at some of the things they've been saying all week (which I agree are indeed incredibly funny in their ignorance/stupidity), at the same time, the refusal of many in the Republican Party to address their current issues and crazy rhetoric is really disturbing and we should also be very concerned about that fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post
I also don't understand the weird fascination with Karl Rove. He was successful in 2004 by shoring up the evangelical base, stuffing ballot initiatives with anti-gay marriage propositions and so on. But he also had the benefit of a wartime president. In 2000 he lost the popular vote and arguably the election as well. What was his value in 2008? In 2012? Aside from pissing away money. And he's supposed to be some kind of guru of elections? Hello?
I never got the fascination with him, either. Same with Newt Gingrich. People talked about his expertise in this and that all the time, but every time I heard him speak he always came off as an ignorant, pompous blowhard who could give Trump a run for his money. They're both obnoxious idiots as far as I'm concerned, and why anyone has been taking them seriously on anything related to politics over the years remains beyond me.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:13 PM   #882
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
i think, ironically, and wonderfully, it was Megyn Kelly who completely summed up what just happened to the GOP:

but i bet it isn't.
There's no way the right gives an inch towards the center. The whole problem is a general resistance to change, a fear of the unknown. The best way to deal with that fear is to cling to what you know (as one politician noted, that's often guns and religion).

Prepare for one side to double down.

This isn't the end of the GOP. It's too early to call it that. The popular vote was 50-48. It's not over yet. A slimmed down Chris Christie could very well take it to the house for the GOP in 2016. And I don't see the House turning over anytime soon.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 PM   #883
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by anitram View Post

i found it kind of poetic. like how the supervillan sews the seeds of his own demise, or his own creation turns on him ... that kind of thing.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #884
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
This isn't the end of the GOP. It's too early to call it that. The popular vote was 50-48. It's not over yet. A slimmed down Chris Christie could very well take it to the house for the GOP in 2016. And I don't see the House turning over anytime soon.

i look forward to a Christie run in 2016. i doubt i'd support him over Hillary or Cuomo or whoever, but seeing him try to navigate the primaries will be fascinating. whereas Fake Plastic Romney was anything you wanted him to be, whenever you wanted him to be, he aims to please, Christie strikes me as very authentic. so authentic he's obese. he's also, apparently, a brilliant strategist, and he's got time to figure out just how he's going to do this ... and i can't see him doing the Romney Etch-A-Sketch. so i will be tuning in to watch him battle against Ryan, Rubio, and whatever other nutcases they throw up there in 4 years.

from my read of the right wing blogs, seems they are already saying that the next big issue is going to be immigration, and the GOP is going to look at Latinos and make the calculation that they're more important than the nativist white base, and cut a big deal.

they're confounded about the sluts single women, though. they're not quite sure what to do about Lena Dunham other than stop nominating rape baby advocates.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:34 PM   #885
Refugee

While I think the country as a whole is going in a more progressive direction, there's still a whole lotta flyover country in between the two coasts. For that reason, I think the GOP will maintain a big foothold in Congress.