The most trusted NEWS source in America? - Page 50 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2012, 09:27 PM   #736
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 03:44 AM
It really kinda is, yeah (CNN...what the hell is going on with that network? Seriously? They're just embarrassing now).

We have BBC America, they show world news on there-I should check it out more often. And I read NPR stories on their site, I keep meaning to try and look for a radio station close to me that carries it.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #737
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:44 AM
The media should not be privatized. Chasing ratings does not make for informative news coverage. If a democracy is based upon having informed citizens, than its media system should be obligated to inform. These media are not. They are obligated to make their parent companies lots of money.

Old 03-19-2012, 10:17 PM   #738
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilsFan View Post
The media should not be privatized. Chasing ratings does not make for informative news coverage. If a democracy is based upon having informed citizens, than its media system should be obligated to inform. These media are not. They are obligated to make their parent companies lots of money.
I would agree with that on account of Fox and CNN (I don't know which I like less), but I don't think that private media is universally flawed... at least from my perspective, as a fan of The Economist. There are a lot of people who truly want to be informed in an intelligent way, and there are privately-owned news sources that definitely cater to that market, though some of them are nonprofit think tanks.

I think at least part of the problem lies on the demand side: people tend to not want particularly contemplative news.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #739
Blue Crack Addict

Both Fox and CNN are too right wing for my tastes, but Fox is clearly more willing to be disingenuous, and they have a large, loyal audience that takes them at their word, so they're certainly more disheartening (and potentially, at times, dangerous).

But for every Economist (I am not familiar, but I'll take your word that it is good), there are a thousand publications that are not doing what is best in the public's interest. It's not worth it.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #740
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

You are right, PF. The media, almost all popular media, is a shithole.
Nearly one and the same.

Any for-profit media organization that needs a large demographic is going to be super dumbed down by default. Doesn't matter what the content specifically is.

And they (the ones that need the larger audiences) are all super capitalist.
Which really means that their 'Leftist agendas' are only a business technique.

The biggest sin they make, apart from rampant capitalism or any of that, is continuing to not hold elected officials accountable. We could deal with all the rest.

You'd think they'd love the 'scandal' involved in exposing the moral corruption, but really most of them are caught up in the same paradigm that ensures the paradigm never changes. In other words, if you start speaking against it, you're seen as a 'loon', because 'that ain't the way the game is played'. And in fact, that is the way the game is played. So they aren't wrong. They just lack the courage to fight it. Because they'd lose their partisan audiences that love that echo chamber.

I've come to the position that the best news source is any of them - as long as you truly know how to think for yourself. You can spot the bias in anything if you are really interested in truth. But bias isn't the worst sin in news, dishonesty and/or ignorance is. Plenty of that to go around, especially in Cable "News".
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #741
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY500 View Post
Sounds like Al Qaeda has been reading the previous 48 pages of this thread.

Or getting press releases from Media Matters.
I don't think they need to do that to figure things out. They're pretty savvy, unfortunately. Tragically.

I wouldn't laugh at anything AQ says but "let her die in anger" is pretty funny. Maybe they could use that if they ever get tired of fair and balanced.

Bin Laden probably did like Fox and Friends
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #742
New Yorker

LOL. This great reporting from Breitbart, Beck, ect. Now pulled of course.
Balloon Juice Blog Archive Even Better Than the Real Thing
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #743
Blue Crack Addict

OMG

Fox News' Heather Childers Tweets Link To Article: 'Did Obama Campaign Threaten Chelsea Clinton's Life?'

ox News anchor Heather Childers caused a stir on Twitter after she linked to a story suggesting that the Obama campaign may have threatened to murder Chelsea Clinton.

On Tuesday, Childers, who is a weekend and early morning anchor for the network, tweeted an article from godfatherpolitics.com titled, "Did Barack Obama Campaign Threaten Life of Chelsea Clinton to Keep Parents Silent on Obama’s Ineligibility?"

The article suggests that someone associated with then-Sen. Obama's 2008 election campaign threatened to kill Chelsea Clinton should President Clinton talk about "Obama’s birth certificate or lack thereof."

Other headlines from godfatherpolitics.com include "President Obama Channels Joseph Stalin and Attacks Supreme Court Justices" and "Alabama Supreme Court Justice Says Barack Obama Birth Certificate Would Not Stand Up in Court." Talking Points Memo, which highlighted the controversy on Tuesday called godfatherpolitics.com a "fringe conspiracy site" and "birther hub."

When Childers was criticized on Twitter for her message, Childers responded and said she was "asking for opinion."
Old 04-04-2012, 06:06 PM   #744
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpringsteen View Post
When Childers was criticized on Twitter for her message, Childers responded and said she was "asking for opinion."
Uh-huh.

For the love of god, CAN WE STOP WITH THE BIRTHER SHIT NOW?! Please? Just let that stupid issue fucking die already.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #745
Blue Crack Addict

The birther thing is one thing. Threatening to kill Chelsea Clinton is straight out of crazytown and makes the birther thing look normal by comparison.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #746
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, yeah, definitely. Just seeing the birther thing rear its ugly head again makes me want to scream, is all.

Anywho, keep it classy, Fox News .
Old 04-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #747
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlit_Angel View Post
Anywho, keep it classy, Fox News .
An employee of Fox News tweeting is hardly the same thing as broadcasting the story. Why not blame Twitter rather than FNC?

Or better yet, ignore any story that originates from Twitter, Facebook, drunk-dialing or sexting*.

* with the exception of congressional wieners.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #748
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Or better yet, ignore any story that originates from Twitter
Like FNC ignored Bill Maher's tweets...
Old 04-04-2012, 07:10 PM   #749
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:44 AM
Quote:
An employee of Fox News tweeting is hardly the same thing as broadcasting the story. Why not blame Twitter rather than FNC?
Right, so what ever happened to professionally representing the organization you work for in public, huh?
Old 04-04-2012, 07:12 PM   #750
Blue Crack Addict

CNN just lifted the suspension of that Roland Martin guy, he was suspended for tweets during the Super Bowl. He tweeted that people should "smack the ish" out of any male fans of David Beckham's underwear commercial.

Network employes are representing the network when they're online, they really don't have that privacy. When employers are demanding Facebook passwords there's no more separation. If there ever was.

I don't blame Twitter or Facebook for what some adults are foolish enough to put on there.