The Milk of Human Kindness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
....will come from some Northern Irish goats for the people of Tanzania!

One disclaimer: this is a totally feel-good story, so if you don't want to feel good - please don't read !:laugh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4578602.stm

Last Updated: Wednesday, 4 January 2006, 07:22 GMT

Goats offer milk of human kindness

These Irish goats are being sent to Tanzania.

Goats reared on a farm in County Down are being sent to east Africa.

The goats were bought as charity gifts at Christmas, and it is hoped their milk will help make life easier for hundreds of people in Tanzania.

The charity, Bothar, says the goats can make a dramatic difference.

Charity worker Elie Milwright said the animals would provide a lifeline for families who had no other way of getting an income.

"There is no social security for these people," she said.

"So when they receive a dairy goat, not only will they get the nutritious milk from the goat but they are also able to sell the surplus milk.

"(This means) they will have a small income for medicine and food and also sending their children to school."

Kids (baby goats) born in Tanzania must also be passed on to other local people.

The goats are sent to various areas across the east African country, particularly to tropical coastal regions.

The charity, which began in 1991, operates other projects in more than 30 countries involving animals including cows, camels and even bees.

--------------------------------------------------------

EXCELLENT - :applaud:

http://www.bothar.ie :dancing:

Actually, I want to correct myself - Bothar is headquartered in Limerick in the Republic of Ireland which, of course, is technically different from Northern Ireland.

Please check out Bothar's website - wonderful people! :up:

I am not sure if I have shared this before, but I grew up on a goat farm. No joke. Our heard at its peak was about twenty strong. We sent many a goat to Heifer.

Last edited:
When I was in Tanzania last year, we spent a few days doing home visits - visiting people with HIV who were receiving aid from their respective grassroots church organizations (Lutheran and Catholic). Many of these people receive a single goat as part of their aid package. A single goat provides milk and meat if slaughtered, a profit if sold, or more goats if kept for breeding.

I've witnessed firsthand how in Tanzania a single goat really does change the livelihood of an entire extended family.

Here's a great pic from our trip. This crazy looking thing is actually the hutch where these goats are kept. If left in pens on the ground, the hyenas get them, so they are elevated. This also makes it clean (the waste falls through) and gives shade. The babies in the family spend their days picking grass and feeding it through the sides of the hutch.
goathutch.JPG

The aid/social justice organization of my denomination, the Christian Reformed Church, has this cool thing called the "gift catalog" where you can pick different things and donate them to different parts of the world. You can give a water buffalo for only $150!

http://www.crwrc.org/giftcatalog/

Dreadsox said:
I am not sure if I have shared this before, but I grew up on a goat farm. No joke. Our heard at its peak was about twenty strong. We sent many a goat to Heifer.

and I bet they never had to ask you to milk the goats,
twice:wink:

Yes, this organization definitely reminded me of the Heifer Project International also.

I'm very glad to see that others here know of these GREAT organizations and hopefully approve of them.

They do some excellent work in very small ways to help people improve their standards of living. :up:

And I truly appreciate your positive input into this thread, LivLuv.

A thread like this where so many of us have diverged in the past but can come together on important humanitarian issues like those above is what makes me hopeful.

Thanks everyone. ;)

Back
Top Bottom