The Media's Misguided use of Resources

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i just want to point out that we have different types of news out there in the world

1 news that effects us. eg taxes go up that little bit to annoy your life ever so slightly more 2 news that means something even though it doesnt effect you directly - biker gangs in the local community 3 news that highlights what the world is really like outside. eg iraqi insurgence and kenyan election violence and 4 useless news - overpaid spoiled young american female popstar chooses to do nothing better with her money and fame than to self-destruct, in front of the cameras for all to see

sadly the commercial networks of television seem hellbent at cultivating a culture of ignorance. dedicating its resources to telling us of the trials and tribulations of american popstars rather than giving us a clear insight of what is really going on out there in the world

are we really that afraid of what goes on out there?

seriously?

think of where you live! because you live in an english speaking country, they will dedicate all their media resources to document some overpaid american pop star "self-destruct" why? is this going to "make us feel better about ourselves"? would the folks of al-jazeeira give a damn about this so-called 'plight'? im sure the lives of 100 iraqi citizens getting blown up while they were trying to mind their own business on a saturday afternoon means so much less as a result

michael franti's disposable heroes of hipocrisy have hit the nail on the head by saying "television - the drug of the nation creating ignorance and fueling radiation"

Last edited:
While I agree with you on the state of media, the comparative ratings argue that the media is giving the people what they want.

BonosSaint said:
While I agree with you on the state of media, the comparative ratings argue that the media is giving the people what they want.

Sad, but true.

Everything about current news on TV is about generating ratings, so revenue can be generated.

American Idol trounces things like debates or States of the Union. Television is just a mirror. Not to defend the media, as it would be nice if someone, something, rose above this.

Some of the things I've heard come out of TV exec's mouths literally made my stomach churn. It's not easy to admit I work in the business, albeit on the sports side, but we're no better.

Even our news web sites are sorely lacking. I get all of my news from the International Herald Tribune because of that.

Go watch the film "Network", it's as relevant today as it ever was. People eat that shit up.

Oh gosh, I wound up in FYM again, sorry.

You want this, don't you? The hate is swelling in you now. Take your FYM weapon. Use it. FYM is unarmed. Strike it down with it. Give in to your anger. With each passing moment you make yourself more of its servant.

I agree that the quality of news has devlovled, frequently to the point of "infotainment". Advertisers have a large influence on coverage. There is a motivation to maintain the status quo. I read news on the MSM websites, but I also read the alternative news websites. Reading foreign news websites helps to provide a non-American or non-Western point of view. It's interesting to read how a news event is reported differently throughout the world.

BonosSaint said:

True. It's easy to get on a self-righteous high horse about the "media." But somebody's feeding the beast. . .

And we are not for want of informed commentary in this day and age, the internet can deliver so much information that can be valuable if people are discriminating.

"That awful power, the public opinion of a nation, is created in America by a horde of ignorant, self-complacent simpletons who failed at ditching and shoemaking and fetched up in jounalism on their way to the poorhouse. I am personally acquanted with hundreds of journalists, and the opinion of the majority of them would not be worth tuppence in private, but when they speak in print it is the newspaper that is talking (the pygmy scribe is not visible) and then their utterances shake the community like the thunders of prophecy."

-Mark Twain

Back
Top Bottom