the McCain lobbyist scandal - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2008, 10:54 AM   #91
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:55 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
SO she had access to him. The teacher's unions ect. have access too along with countless other representatives of the interests of the citizenry.

What has he done that is wrong? Nothing.

it's not the access, it's the level of access that was so unusual it caused many close to McCain to panic.

and it's not that he's done anything wrong, it's that he's treading on thin ice holding himself up as a paragon of political virtue.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

As for my post, there is a potential scandal heading Obama's way. If the press is not held to standards, then Obama is just as open to "inferred" scandal as anyone else. The fact that there are those on the left geefully happy that this is happening to McCain shows that once again, we could care less unless it happens to our guy.

and i guess i'm a little bit sad that any interest in a subject or topic is automatically read as "glee" simply because it is happening to the other side.

i find this story interesting on many levels, not least because i live in DC and know people who both work on the Hill and on K Street.

i also found it interesting how the "base" smelled some blood in the water, which only amplified their quite audible dissatisfaction with McCain, and the fact that Romeny has merely "suspended" his campaign.

but to make it sound as if these McCain stories are giving me a hard on ... not even close.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:05 AM   #93
ONE
love, blood, life

You are ususally someone I believe looks at things factually. In this case, I am surprised by your posts.

Obama's day will come. I will be there for him too unless there are facts that prove otherwise.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 AM   #94
Blue Crack Supplier

i found this article and the articles and discussion surrounding it the most illustrative look into the "real" McCain that's come since he's been on the political radar.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:20 AM   #95
ONE
love, blood, life

I guess I do not see his relationship as a problem. He is operating in a system in which groups of people have hired lobbyists to represent their interests. The reality is, the average Joe doe not have access to the politicians to voice concerns ect, and that is why the system is what it is. So her having access does not bother me, at all. If you look at this man's record, he has bucked the party, bucked special interests, bucked popular opinion when he feels it is in the better interests of the country. And that record, stands for what it is.

As for this 'scandal". I believe that there was a rift within his advisors. I believe that there were firings and terminations that have resulted in this coming to light in a manner that is lacking in substance. It brings out the juiciness of the scandal without there being evidence of a scandal. I find it wrong and offensive, that the article sat, sat, was rewritten three times, sat again, and was published because there was an article being published about the rift it was causing in their paper. It was not published because it was newsworthy.

That said, like with Obama, if there is evidence of wrong doing and him using his political influence inappropriately, then I will be so disappointed.

I have been disappointed by his decisions and politics before, but I can handle that. I disagreed with him on Iraq, only to find that he very well has been correct about stabilizing the situation there. I disagreed with him on campaign finance, but, I find the fact that he was opposed to his party on this, refreshing.

Enough - I am excited for Obama - McCain. Two very different candidates. It should be fun.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #96
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

and the fact that Romeny has merely "suspended" his campaign.

you're really worried about this, huh?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:30 PM   #97
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

you're really worried about this, huh?

i think it would be great if he tried to come back to life.

he'd be destroyed by Obama and/or Clinton.

destroyed.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:24 PM   #98
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:55 PM
you do not know Romney or his character that well apparently.

dbs
Old 02-23-2008, 11:01 PM   #99
Blue Crack Supplier

Well, he's willing to change all of his positions on a dime just to get a nomination. What does that tell you about his character?
Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 PM   #100
ONE
love, blood, life

Old 02-23-2008, 11:59 PM   #101
ONE
love, blood, life

As for people crying foul that McCain has lobbyists working on his campaign....

FactCheck.Org :

[Q]Lobbyists: The e-mail criticizes McCain for his reliance on lobbyists to raise campaign money, implying that his past crusades for stricter campaign-finance regulation and tightened congressional ethics laws were insincere efforts to "score political points":
DNC: After championing campaign finance reform and ethics legislation to score political points, he now has a staggering amount of lobbyists involved in every aspect of his campaign.

This is a reference to a recent report by Public Citizen, the group founded by Ralph Nader, which has tallied 59 persons who are or formerly were registered as lobbyists serving as "bundlers" (fundraisers) for McCain's campaign. That's more than for any other candidate, and Public Citizen said McCain's list is growing.

However, neither of the leading Democratic candidates are entirely innocent on this score. Clinton voted for the McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation in 2002, and nevertheless has 20 lobbyist-bundlers aiding her campaign, according to the Public Citizen report. And even Obama, who crusaded for congressional ethics legislation last year, has 10 fundraisers whom Public Citizen identified as lobbyist-bundlers. In his case, all are former lobbyists and none are now registered.

[/Q]

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...e_smeared.html
Old 02-24-2008, 12:18 AM   #102
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:55 AM
Quote:
As for people crying foul that McCain has lobbyists working on his campaign....

FactCheck.Org :

[Q]Lobbyists: The e-mail criticizes McCain for his reliance on lobbyists to raise campaign money, implying that his past crusades for stricter campaign-finance regulation and tightened congressional ethics laws were insincere efforts to "score political points":
DNC: After championing campaign finance reform and ethics legislation to score political points, he now has a staggering amount of lobbyists involved in every aspect of his campaign.

This is a reference to a recent report by Public Citizen, the group founded by Ralph Nader, which has tallied 59 persons who are or formerly were registered as lobbyists serving as "bundlers" (fundraisers) for McCain's campaign. That's more than for any other candidate, and Public Citizen said McCain's list is growing.

However, neither of the leading Democratic candidates are entirely innocent on this score. Clinton voted for the McCain-Feingold campaign finance legislation in 2002, and nevertheless has 20 lobbyist-bundlers aiding her campaign, according to the Public Citizen report. And even Obama, who crusaded for congressional ethics legislation last year, has 10 fundraisers whom Public Citizen identified as lobbyist-bundlers. In his case, all are former lobbyists and none are now registered.

[/Q]

http://www.factcheck.org/elections-2...e_smeared.html
For someone who has built a reputation on not catering to the special interests, it does strike me as a little odd that out of all the candidates, he has the most lobbyists working on his campaign. Nearly 3 times that of the next closest candidate. That doesn't seem at least a little incongruous to you?
Old 02-24-2008, 12:22 AM   #103
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

Nearly 3 times that of the next closest candidate.
Other than Hillary's vote for campaign finance reform, has she ever taken on an anti-lobbyist position? I admit I'm not particularly informed on her position here but I don't think she's ever represented herself as someone who would prefer not to employ lobbyists. In that sense, I'd actually expect her to be in the lead here, not to see a 3:1 ratio.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #104
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:55 AM
That would've been my assumption, too.
Old 02-24-2008, 12:23 AM   #105
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Diemen

For someone who has built a reputation on not catering to the special interests, it does strike me as a little odd that out of all the candidates, he has the most lobbyists working on his campaign. Nearly 3 times that of the next closest candidate. That doesn't seem at least a little incongruous to you?
It actually makes me raise my eyebrow at them.