The Lexington Project - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadsox View Post
Given the Kennedy family, at least the Massachusetts Kennedys, have made Obama since the endorsement, I think it fair to point out that Teddy and family have worked hard to prevent windmill farms from being planted. If the powerful family behind Obama is against it, I would hesitate to believe he will be effective at making it happen.

Why would I tar Obama, with Mary Jo. I do not even know how to respond to your implication. I guess I can crawl back into retirement.

i don't see how it's fair to say that Obama would be against windmills because Ted Kennedy doesn't want his view of the Vineyard from Hyannis obstructed.

it just strikes me that the attacks in here against Obama are really, really unsubstansive, and quite desperate, and i'm honestly baffled as to where this resentment is coming from. i brought up Mary Jo since it seems as absurd a comparison as the windmills.

it seems to me that this election is about one major thing: do you want a permanent, endless American occupation of Mesopotamia, or do you want an orderly withdrawal and a focus on energy markets beyond Persian Gulf oil? also, there are two SCOTUS seats coming up. who do you want seating justices?

as two opponents of the Iraq War (even if one of you was a bit of a Johnny-come-lately ), the fact that you both seem to be twisting your thoughts into pretzels over this very basic issue strikes me as very, very odd. i'd point to anitram's post to deep in the election thread as one that expresses, quite well, the sheer irrationality of deep's anti-Obama fears. deep used to present it as "all people are going to start thinking what i'm thinking if he gets the nomination," and now that he has the nomination, and his lead expands and deepens and solidifies amongst important groups, your attacks aren't broad at all, they are specific to you, and you alone, and your memory of the 1990s is like a former football player talking about his college heyday.

what gives? you're both usually so reasonable. what is it about this man that drives you crazy?

honestly, your Obama-hate, deep, is 100% the same as the anti-Hillary insanity. and i think both are, ultimately, rooted in different, yet similar, places.

Old 07-02-2008, 01:54 PM   #47
Refugee

Local Time: 07:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvine511 View Post
it seems to me that this election is about one major thing: do you want a permanent, endless American occupation of Mesopotamia, or do you want an orderly withdrawal and a focus on energy markets beyond Persian Gulf oil?
No one wants a permanent, endless American occupation of Mesopotamia any more than one wants a permanent, endless American occupation of Afghanistan!

The issue is how do you protect vital US security interest in both regions. Until, the governments of Afghanistan and Iraq can take full responsibility for handling security within their borders, US and coalition troops will be needed.

The question should be, do you want any furture US withdrawal from either Iraq or Afghanistan to be based on conditions and the security situation on the ground there, or do you want it to be simply based on domestically popular reasons, ideological reasons, or campaign promises rather than US security needs in both countries? Regardless of what energy plan the next President of the United States has, the Persian Gulf region is going to be vital to global energy needs for at least the next couple of decades.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 PM   #48
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]
The question should be, do you want any furture US withdrawal from either Iraq or Afghanistan to be based on conditions and the security situation on the ground there, or do you want it to be simply based on domestically popular reasons, ideological reasons, or campaign promises rather than US security needs in both countries?[/q]

what's amazing, is that the answer to this question, even when self-servingly framed by you, is Obama. by far.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #49
Refugee

Quote:
[q]
The question should be, do you want any furture US withdrawal from either Iraq or Afghanistan to be based on conditions and the security situation on the ground there, or do you want it to be simply based on domestically popular reasons, ideological reasons, or campaign promises rather than US security needs in both countries?[/q]

what's amazing, is that the answer to this question, even when self-servingly framed by you, is Obama. by far.

Obama wanted to remove ALL US combat brigades from Iraq by March 31, 2008 regardless of the security situation in Iraq. Thats Obama's plan, and it has NOTHING to do with the security situation on the ground, and everything to do with domestic politics, ideology and campaign promises. Obama's goal is to withdraw period, it is not to insure US security needs there. The US military and State Department all base their future plans in Iraq on increasing the security and development of the country and not abandoning the country on some set arbitrary timetable.

Bringing security and development to both Iraq and Afghanistan are vitally important to the United States, but Obama currently has opposite plans for both countries despite the fact that both countries have fundamentally similar needs.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #50
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strongbow View Post
Obama wanted to remove ALL US combat brigades from Iraq by March 31, 2008 regardless of the security situation in Iraq. Thats Obama's plan, and it has NOTHING to do with the security situation on the ground, and everything to do with domestic politics, ideology and campaign promises. Obama's goal is to withdraw period, it is not to insure US security needs there. The US military and State Department all base their future plans in Iraq on increasing the security and development of the country and not abandoning the country on some set arbitrary timetable.

Bringing security and development to both Iraq and Afghanistan are vitally important to the United States, but Obama currently has opposite plans for both countries despite the fact that both countries have fundamentally similar needs.

you can continue to believe whatever you want, and you can continue to believe you're in some kind of competition with me, but i am not going to get bogged down in your half-truths, distortion, and spin in a thread that's about energy policy.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:12 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
you can continue to believe whatever you want, and you can continue to believe you're in some kind of competition with me, but i am not going to get bogged down in your half-truths, distortion, and spin in a thread that's about energy policy.

The situation in the Persian Gulf will heavily impact any energy policy the next President decides to follow. Once again, we could all do without the little characterizations of forum members posts.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:19 PM   #52
Blue Crack Supplier

[q]little characteriations of forum members posts[/q]

i see, so if a post is inherently racist, or sexist, or homophobic, we are not to call it as such?

likewise, if a post makes a deliberate mischaracterization of a specific policy position, and we call that a "distortion," we are not to do so?

please, why don't you spend some time enumerating the rules for us. i'm sure we'd all benefit.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:33 PM   #53
Refugee

Quote:
[q]little characteriations of forum members posts[/q]

i see, so if a post is inherently racist, or sexist, or homophobic, we are not to call it as such?

likewise, if a post makes a deliberate mischaracterization of a specific policy position, and we call that a "distortion," we are not to do so?

please, why don't you spend some time enumerating the rules for us. i'm sure we'd all benefit.

Once again, were here to discuss the issues, not members alleged posting habbits.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:36 PM   #54
Resident Photo Buff
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 01:02 AM
In a debate, you never acknowledge any flaws in the tactics of others. Never.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:40 PM   #55
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemen View Post
In a debate, you never acknowledge any flaws in the tactics of others. Never.

i'm glad the logical contradiction in the previous post wasn't lost.

really, it's much better to cut-and-paste a series of statistics than to engage in any sort of critical analysis of issues and arguments.

so much more productive to cut-and-paste.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:43 PM   #56
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:02 AM
I think many members in here would appreciate it if both of you passed on responding to each other a lot more often. Ever noticed how hardly anyone else participates in these exchanges? They know they'll just go in circles.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 PM   #57
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by yolland View Post
I think many members in here would appreciate it if both of you passed on responding to each other a lot more often. Ever noticed how hardly anyone else participates in these exchanges? They know they'll just go in circles.

i suppose i'm the only one foolish enough to think that, maybe, just maybe, something productive might come of actually engaging someone with a somewhat extreme minority viewpoint.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:59 PM   #58
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 08:02 AM
No one thinks you're foolish, and in general I'm all for constructively engaging a minority view rather than laughing or sneering it off and then wondering why there seems to be a stunting lack of ideological diversity around here. But when it becomes personal and starts to look more like one-upmanship than dialogue, there's not really much point anymore.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #59
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
i don't see how it's fair to say that Obama would be against windmills because Ted Kennedy doesn't want his view of the Vineyard from Hyannis obstructed.

it just strikes me that the attacks in here against Obama are really, really unsubstansive, and quite desperate, and i'm honestly baffled as to where this resentment is coming from. i brought up Mary Jo since it seems as absurd a comparison as the windmills.

it seems to me that this election is about one major thing: do you want a permanent, endless American occupation of Mesopotamia, or do you want an orderly withdrawal and a focus on energy markets beyond Persian Gulf oil? also, there are two SCOTUS seats coming up. who do you want seating justices?
What I do find wrong, is your implying that I would even think of tagging Obama with Mary Jo. If it was meant to be funny, I missed it.

As for Obama, I do not know why you think I dislike him. I have the match up I hoped for. Both of the candidates that I could live with, are getting their party nomination.

Honestly, I am leaning McCain. I think he will handle Iraq better. I think he will handle working with the congress better, and I think he will nominate good judges. What amazes me is that the Supreme Court continues to handle the issues put before it fairly.

I find Obama's church membership as disturbing as the religious right. They are too extremes and I do not support them either way.

As for the windmills, my point is that there is a why can't we explore this attitude, yet when push comes to shove, even the most liberal democrat in the history of the country does not want them in site of his property. And yes, Ted Kennedy carries more clout than Obama in the congress, and yes, he is more influential.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:01 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

I for one would rather see a discussion of the lexington project continue.