The last Sunday in June

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I just wanted to throw a thread out there about yesterday.

Here in New York City it was the Gay Pride parade and as I live a couple of blocks from the route, I went along with my fiancee to the parade. We have actually done this now for the past three years and I just wanted to share a few thoughts here:

#1. This is the best parade NYC has to offer.
#2. To see people who may or may not be able to share their lifestyles with others able to display them in such a proud fashion to the public really was awe-inspiring.

Whether straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, black, white, hispanic, round, square, human, alien, I think every type of being was represented yesterday in this parade. It really is truly amazing to think this may be one of the only large sacle events that incorporates every kind of human, and celebrates those that have been persecuted so much in the past.

Whether it was a float for gay rights, a float for a night club, a float for a university group, or even a drag queen dressed up like Mary Poppins, everyone had a good time, everyone was listened to, and no one was discriminated against. It is truly amazing to see.

It makes you wonder about what is going on in this country and think specifically about the recent Supreme Court rulings (re Texas.) You wonder how and why certain lifestyles are judged differently than others, and when you are in the midst of such celebration, you wonder if these people are not harming others and simply loving one another, whose business is it besides their own?

I do not know if any of this is coming out logically, I just wanted to say how much fun I had and how much respect I have for everyone who was able to participate.

Specific funny memories include (and only on the block I was standing on - you can imagine what it was like all along the parade route) the group of people who held signs that read:
"Honk if you love oral sex!!!" Also the group of topless militant lesbians who stopped in the middle of the street and started whipping each other in front of the NYPD. It was great, not to mention all the floats, costumes, colors, and flags.

The parade goes down Fifth Avenue and ends in the West Village. At night the celebrations continued and then there were fireworks. I have to give the day a big thumbs up and look forward to next year's parade.

To use a well-known line off of one of the floats:

celebrate diversity,

:up:

I didn't get to attend because I was out of town, but the Twin Cities festival was apparently the 3rd largest in the nation this year.

I've been thinking today of how lucky I am to work with such a diverse group of people. Gay, straight, black, white, Asian, Hispanic, Hindu, Muslim, Christian, men, women. Everyone brings something to the table. Diversity is a good thing. :)

ouizy said:

and when you are in the midst of such celebration, you wonder if these people are not harming others and simply loving one another, whose business is it besides their own?

:up: :)

:applaud:

Thanks, ouizy--you bring back memories for me.

I used to hide in my apartment on St. Patrick's Day in NYC because it was usually a disgusting event (people puking, pissing, defecating and passing out in my doorwell) and, sadly, the Puerto Rican Day parade usually turned sour as well. But the Gay & Lesbian parade was always, year after year, a peaceful, joyous, celebratory and fun event. Glad to know that is still the case. :up:

sulawesigirl4 said:
:up:

I didn't get to attend because I was out of town, but the Twin Cities festival was apparently the 3rd largest in the nation this year.

it was really really REALLY great.

(though i could say it was horrible and lie to make you feel better for missing it ;))

i can believe it was one of the largest - there were tons of people there :D

Lilly said:

it was really really REALLY great.

(though i could say it was horrible and lie to make you feel better for missing it ;))

yeah, one of my gay coworkers brought in pictures today. it looked like a blast. :D mebbe next time.

in Europe, especially Berlin and my hometown, there was this party as well, same tme same station. I didn?t attend this year, was at another party...

apart from that I notice the big Love Parade (not the Gay Pride especially) kinda thing is getting out of fashion lately. Less people. Sad enough, I love them

...especially to be on one of the trucks dancing is like you can reach but you can?t grab it.

i don?t want to rain on your parade.

but, some of the events at gay pride are the things that my conservative gay friends cringe about.

the texas law was just plain wrong. how 3 Supremes could support it is beyond me.

I have no problem with topless women whipping themselves :up:

i know a lot of people who believe this should not be done on a public street where children can see it.

good point deep, and I have to say I am torn here. I also do not believe that kind of thing is appropriate to be done in public during a parade, (I do think it is against the law to be topless, but the cops let it go) but I did have a good time.

There are so many screwed up things in New York (a la no gay groups being allowed to march in teh St. Patricks Day parade) that I think everyone kind of turns a blind eye during this one.

anyway it was a blast.

Ouizy and deep both make good points...some segments of these parades are most certainly NOT for children and several of my more conservative gay/lesbian friends have either stopped going to the parades or aren't comfortable inviting their friends and families. To them, the concept of "pride" has nothing to do with topless lesbians or men in g-strings. To them, it just perpetuates the "sexy crazed" myth that still exists among certain anti-gay groups.

Back
Top Bottom