The Last Acceptable Prejudice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MrsSpringsteen said:

Sometimes I do feel there is prejudice against me because I'm Catholic and some people assume I have certain beliefs and am a certain type of person. But I never feel that prejudice even comes close to what minorities, gay people, etc experience.

I hope I have not lumped any of you in anyway that made you feel I was upset with the members of the church. Having been in the church and loved being a member of the church, I reached a breaking point on my life as a Catholic and left the church.

My issues are with the clergy and the "catholic laws". Not with the members of the Catholic community.

I woudl also bet my money that there will be an apology in about a thousand years.

you know whats on par with freckles? moles. im bloody covered in them and in summer need a cancer check every 3 months. i look like i have a disease actually. i should post a pic of my moley arms. i even named one of them a while back.

beli said:
Nicole Kidman no longer has freckles. Shes Jackoed her skin, or something. That's my point. There are no Hollywood beautiful people with freckles. :mad:

this is totally true, though she's more had them sandblasted off. apparently, these days, her skin is so thin that if you were to, say, press your thumb against her forehead, the indentation would be there for, like, 10 minutes.

or so claims the rumor mill.

Skipping the debate that kinda started taking place throughout this thread, and going straight to the Catholic bashing thing. Like BonosSaint, I've not seen much in the way of Catholic bashing in my life-I don't doubt there's been some, but I personally haven't witnessed a great deal of it. But I wouldn't like it if people stereotyped all Catholics, just as I don't like it if people stereotype any other faith, or those who aren't of a particular faith, because I know that there are good, kind Catholics out there, some of which frequent this board. I've not been raised in the Catholic faith, and I don't agree with a lot of the beliefs, but if someone wants to be a Catholic, hey, more power to them. As long as they show respect towards my beliefs, I'll show respect towards theirs. It's as simple as that.

And I'll definitely say this: any time I learn something new about the Catholic faith, I always find each little bit I learn quite interesting. Your church has one heck of a fascinating history.

Angela

Irvine511 said:

this is totally true, though she's more had them sandblasted off. apparently, these days, her skin is so thin that if you were to, say, press your thumb against her forehead, the indentation would be there for, like, 10 minutes.

or so claims the rumor mill.

:lol: You must read the same crappy mags/websites that I do. I just read that a couple of days ago.

Its sad really. She could have been a role model.

Or, probably, more realistically, she could have been unemployed. :(

Angela Harlem said:
you know whats on par with freckles? moles. im bloody covered in them and in summer need a cancer check every 3 months. i look like i have a disease actually. i should post a pic of my moley arms. i even named one of them a while back.

I count moles in with freckles. They kind of go hand in hand. I have a tonne of them too. I havent named any of them though.

You ought to meet Kevin one day. He is the non cancerous one, but the dr thinks he is going to evolve. He wants to ice him off with a "laser" but I no. If he looks to merge with other solar systems on my arm we are going to be in trouble.

We should have a mole-off beli.
:up:

Angela Harlem said:
You ought to meet Kevin one day. He is the non cancerous one, but the dr thinks he is going to evolve. He wants to ice him off with a "laser" but I no. If he looks to merge with other solar systems on my arm we are going to be in trouble.

We should have a mole-off beli.
:up:
:lmao:

Irvine511 said:

how about having red hair?

Well that is a sin. They're all short tempered firey hell spawns. The fact that they can only survive 15 minute increments in the sun is their punishment from God.:combust:

I've caught alot of flack for my Catholic beliefs and affiliation. One night I was in a restaurant with some fundamentalist Protestants and they quite literally screamed at me about my beliefs about the Pope, and were all over me because I'm not a biblical literalist. It was ugly. Our group almost got kicked out of the restaurant because of all the commotion. I've also been accused of being an idiot who believes in "medieval superstitions", I've been accused of worshipping statues (that's completely false, I only worship God), and I've been accused of letting the Pope think for me. Yes, there's also some prejudice against anyone who's a Christian but there is a specific anti-Catholic prejudice out there that I'm only too familiar with.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

I hope I have not lumped any of you in anyway that made you feel I was upset with the members of the church. Having been in the church and loved being a member of the church, I reached a breaking point on my life as a Catholic and left the church.

My issues are with the clergy and the "catholic laws". Not with the members of the Catholic community.

I woudl also bet my money that there will be an apology in about a thousand years.

No worries. You've never said anything offensive about people who practice Catholicism. I don't give a rat's ass what people think of the Catholic Church. My own brother can't stand the Catholic Church, and this has alot to do with his traumatic first marriage to an Italian, living in Italy and living in a society that's drenched with Catholic tradition (unlike the U.S.). That divorce was really, really bad for him, it was incredibly painful. I get offended when the talk gets to be about blatantly false accusations like Catholics worshipping statues, being idiots who let the Pope think for us and believing in "medieval superstitions", and other garbage like that.

Last edited:
Our group almost got kicked out of the restaurant because of all the commotion.

I can relate to this somewhat. I don't want to cry a river over what some Catholics have gone through, especially when comparing it to other more extreme prejudices - prejudices that were strengthened by certain 'Catholic doctrines', I might add - but I can relate.

Now, I have always distanced myself from the Catholic church ever since I was old and able enough to do so, and God knows at the moment I'm going through a very rough patch with it. Having said that, I was born and raised a Catholic and have seven years of Catholic schooling behind me, and anytime anyone, be they Anglican or Lutheran, starts getting ugly about Catholicism I usually do get quite antagonistic in return.

Yes, Catholicism has a dark and ridiculous past, but its no darker or more ridiculous than the way other Religions came into being and gained popularity. People do tend to forget this when ranting on about the evils of Catholicism.

Ant.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Yes, Catholicism has a dark and ridiculous past, but its no darker or more ridiculous than the way other Religions came into being and gained popularity. People do tend to forget this when ranting on about the evils of Catholicism.

Ant.

Quite true. And verte, wow, I'm sorry that happened to you-there's no excuse for that :hug:. Wonder how those people would react if things got turned on them?

Angela

Back
Top Bottom