The Klan is rising again - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-07-2007, 10:20 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest
I can't think of a single good reason that anyone would support illegal immigration.
The USA was founded on it, as were a lot of other countries - Canada, Australia, New Zealand, etc.

Actually, if we want to go really way back, many European countries were also founded on 'illegal immigration', to use a modern day expression - I don't remember seeing any evidence, for example, of the native Irish inviting the Vikings or Anglo-Saxons to occupy their country.

This brings us to a broader issue - who owns land, who owns countries?

Of course, the USA, as with any legally constituted jurisdiction, has the right to restrict immigration, and ultimately I would see the renewed popularity for White Nationalist groups in the US as a backlash against the failure of the Bush administration to adequately put in place and enforce curtailment of 'illegal immigration'.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:22 PM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 06:06 PM
Quote:

I can't think of a single good reason that anyone would support illegal immigration.
I don't think it's a matter of supporting illegal immigration. It's a matter of understanding someone wanting to do better for their family, a matter of understanding how much our economy depends on "aliens", and knowing this is how our country was founded.

Old 02-07-2007, 11:04 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

I don't think it's a matter of supporting illegal immigration. It's a matter of understanding someone wanting to do better for their family, a matter of understanding how much our economy depends on "aliens", and knowing this is how our country was founded.
I don't think anyone would argue that with you; that's perfectly in synch with my support for hard-working, decent people who become legal residents/citizens of the USA (as long as they vote conservative, of course).
Old 02-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I don't think anyone would argue that with you; that's perfectly in synch with my support for hard-working, decent people who become legal residents/citizens of the USA (as long as they vote conservative, of course).
Have you not been following the debate? People are arguing those very things. It's not easy to become legal and it's not easy to feed children on the money they make...

This isn't a complicated issue, but it's not exactly black and white either.

But the truth is much of the "build a wall", "they're taking our jobs", etc crowd's sentiment is built on racism. Like it or not...

And now the Klan are benefitting.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:22 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

But the truth is much of the "build a wall", "they're taking our jobs", etc crowd's sentiment is built on racism. Like it or not...
Racism? Who's specifying a race here? This is about nothing more or less than legal as compared to illegal, taxpayers as compared to non-taxpayers. It has nothing to do with feelings of race superiority.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:12 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Racism? Who's specifying a race here? This is about nothing more or less than legal as compared to illegal, taxpayers as compared to non-taxpayers. It has nothing to do with feelings of race superiority.
Don't kid yourself. You don't see minutemen on the Canadian border.

I've read(and I'll paraphrase): "those mexicans are too stupid to fix their own country", "soon mexicans will be the majority", and many other such comments in here. And that's just FYM, it's much worse outside of FYM.

So I'm not sure where you've been participating in discussions but everywhere I turn they are laced with racism.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:35 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

Look, I don't agree with what the minute men are doing. But men who take it upon themselves to stop illegal immigration does not equal racism. Are there racist Minutemen? Probably. But there are racist accountants, racist lawyers, rascist Hollywood actors, rascist politicians. In every walk of life, there are rascists.

Quote:

I've read(and I'll paraphrase): "those mexicans are too stupid to fix their own country", .
You've read that here, on FYM? I would have to read the exact quote before I could believe that you weren't misunderstanding the person.

Quote:
"soon mexicans will be the majority",.
I don't know why you would consider that racism. It's a fact here in Texas; I've read the population projections.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Look, I don't agree with what the minute men are doing. But men who take it upon themselves to stop illegal immigration does not equal racism.
You missed my point. There's illegal immigration coming in from Canada as well, yet no armed citizens on that border. Why?

Quote:

You've read that here, on FYM? I would have to read the exact quote before I could believe that you weren't misunderstanding the person.
Believe me, I niced it up. I don't have time to look the quotes up, but there was no misunderstanding these posters.

Quote:

I don't know why you would consider that racism. It's a fact here in Texas; I've read the population projections.
You don't see that as racism? Why would you fear becoming a minority? This sentiment comes from a I want the status quo, white man majority mentality. It's fear, it's racism. If you considered them equal you wouldn't have anything to fear.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:03 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:06 PM
Is there a bigger bunch of cowards than the KKK? If their cause is so righteous, why do they have to hide their faces? I'd love to drop a handful of Klansmen into my neighborhood and see how they made out.

I don't think it's fair to assume that everyone who's anti-illegal immigration is racist, or even to assume that everyone who actively participates in preventing it (like the Minutemen) is racist. But I have no doubt that if you compared a random sampling of 100 Americans to a random sampling of 100 Americans who patrol the Mexican border with guns you'd find more racism in the border guys. Traditionally the most vocal opposition to immigration has contained an undercurrent of racism, why would today be suddenly different?
Old 02-08-2007, 04:13 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:06 AM
This is disgusting. They should prosecute Klan perpetrators of anti-immigrant outrages and discourage Klan activities and membership. No, I'm not advocating censorship. I just think we should do the right thing in response to this disgusting development.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:15 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:06 AM
Quote:

I've read(and I'll paraphrase): "those mexicans are too stupid to fix their own country", "soon mexicans will be the majority", and many other such comments in here. And that's just FYM, it's much worse outside of FYM.

So I'm not sure where you've been participating in discussions but everywhere I turn they are laced with racism.
The second statement isn't by definition racism, it is demographics.
Old 02-08-2007, 04:17 PM   #27
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
The second statement isn't by definition racism, it is demographics.
Not in the context of "if we don't do anything about this then..."
Old 02-08-2007, 04:19 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

There are. http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewid...l?itemId=68863
Old 02-08-2007, 04:27 PM   #29
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

That's awesome...

That should be made into a sticky.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #30
Babyface

Local Time: 12:06 AM
suckage..