the karen people in and just out of burma - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2003, 02:47 PM   #1
Purgatory

Local Time: 12:49 PM
the karen people in and just out of burma

im willing to bet a great deal of you dont know whats been happening to them over the past few decades.

i know i didnt until i talked to a couple of friends who visited a few of them in hiding in thailand.

i dont want to say too much, because i dont want to misinterpret the facts, but if you know what im talking about, id love to hear what you know.

what i do know though, is THIS is genocide at its worst.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:25 AM   #2
Purgatory

the fact that noone appears to know anything about this situation horrifies me even more about the iraq situation.

Old 03-18-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:49 AM
It's the OJ Syndrome. Deaths occur everyday. Tragedies can be found everywhere. But society tends to gravitate to one event to the exclusion of many others.

Are there any news links you can post?
Old 03-18-2003, 11:34 AM   #4
Purgatory

i will look, but this is genocide at its worst.

i really wish foray would see this thread, she must know about this.

the only reason i know anything about this is because my friend was recently in the area and spoke to the people who are in hiding.

and its no secret that the burmese government is probably the worst in the world.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:49 PM
I guess as long as Burma doesn't acquire chemical, biological, or nuclear weapons, they are an a-ok regime!

Melon
Old 03-18-2003, 12:46 PM   #6
Purgatory

or possess massive ammounts of oil.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:46 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:49 AM
This is what db's talking about:
http://www.ibiblio.org/freeburma/hum.../92_04_21.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/freeburma/hum...ackground.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...602859,00.html
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/07..._pain%2B.shtml

I'm ashamed to say that the main thing I have been aware of re:Myanmar is its junta government and Aung San Suu Kyi's movement. Not the village genocides. When ASSK speaks, I literally cry; her strength is phenomenal. I knew about the totalitarian govt and how virtually the whole nation is paralysed. But not the genocides and rapes. Obviously, the fact that they are not allowed contact with the outside world contributes to their plight remaining a secret. In fact, we hardly hear about the Indo-Chinese region in Malaysian news. One reason is because they are completely different countries, so removed in terms of language and culture. Malaysians are more concerned about the plight of fellow Muslims in Indonesia, and so most of our attention and efforts go to them. Today I am very sad as I have been thinking about the amount of bombs that will befall the Iraqis - more bombs than in the gulf war - and now this. I thought of children avoiding debris raining on them. And women having to suffer what is every woman's nightmare, rape. I am scared. I am scared because for what is probably the first time in my life, I am angry with God.

foray
Old 03-19-2003, 08:00 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:49 AM
In the early 1990s I dated a beautiful Burmese girl.
They were wonderful people.

Her mom and sister fled Burma and came to the USA.
Her father was an ambassador.
True story.

DB9
Old 03-19-2003, 11:22 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Gickies Gageeze
im willing to bet a great deal of you dont know whats been happening to them over the past few decades.

actually bear i've been acutely aware of what's going on in burma since my mother travelled through indonesia and aisia in 1997.

she went to hong kong (then still under british rule), vietnam, korea, thailand, and bali (i'm sure i'm forgetting one).

she went into the DMZ in korea and said it was so frightening she didn't want to tell me what was happening at the time (seeing as i was 13). she said people were trying to make a break for the border - despite the massive amounts of guards and mines blocking them from doing so.

her hotel in one spot in thailand was about 10 miles from the burmese border, she could hear bullets during the day and see them at night.

same thing in cambodia though.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:23 AM   #10
Purgatory

Quote:
Originally posted by foray
This is what db's talking about:
http://www.ibiblio.org/freeburma/hum.../92_04_21.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/freeburma/hum...ackground.html
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...602859,00.html
http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/07..._pain%2B.shtml

I'm ashamed to say that the main thing I have been aware of re:Myanmar is its junta government and Aung San Suu Kyi's movement. Not the village genocides. When ASSK speaks, I literally cry; her strength is phenomenal. I knew about the totalitarian govt and how virtually the whole nation is paralysed. But not the genocides and rapes. Obviously, the fact that they are not allowed contact with the outside world contributes to their plight remaining a secret. In fact, we hardly hear about the Indo-Chinese region in Malaysian news. One reason is because they are completely different countries, so removed in terms of language and culture. Malaysians are more concerned about the plight of fellow Muslims in Indonesia, and so most of our attention and efforts go to them. Today I am very sad as I have been thinking about the amount of bombs that will befall the Iraqis - more bombs than in the gulf war - and now this. I thought of children avoiding debris raining on them. And women having to suffer what is every woman's nightmare, rape. I am scared. I am scared because for what is probably the first time in my life, I am angry with God.

foray
thank you for providing this, foray.
Old 03-19-2003, 11:25 AM   #11
Purgatory

Quote:
Originally posted by Lilly

actually bear i've been acutely aware of what's going on in burma since my mother travelled through indonesia and aisia in 1997.

she went to hong kong (then still under british rule), vietnam, korea, thailand, and bali (i'm sure i'm forgetting one).

she went into the DMZ in korea and said it was so frightening she didn't want to tell me what was happening at the time (seeing as i was 13). she said people were trying to make a break for the border - despite the massive amounts of guards and mines blocking them from doing so.

her hotel in one spot in thailand was about 10 miles from the burmese border, she could hear bullets during the day and see them at night.

same thing in cambodia though.
why oh why, if we must have war, cant we rid ourselves of the evils such as these?
Old 03-19-2003, 11:35 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i dunno...it's not like saddam is super peaceful either.

if we just went into burma or cambodia, would it not just be the same context?

edited to add: or it would at least be similar to the korean conflict or vietnam war....the u.s would still be super split on it i'm sure.
Old 03-19-2003, 02:37 PM   #13
Purgatory

economically there is nothing to gain from a regime change in poor old burma.

the united states could at least force the issue to light and put diplomatic pressure AND SEE if that does anything.

but theres nothing being done now because lets face it, if theres nothing to make our wallets greener, we dont really care.
Old 03-19-2003, 06:13 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

i thought we had sanctions on burma.....maybe once i do my paper i'll look into our economic policy with them

this is rather interesting.