The innocence of a child

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
I am writing this based on another thread about children being killed if Iraq.

My daughter was born with a progressive hearing loss. When she was 2 1/2 she was almost profoundly deaf by 3 she was implanted with a Cochlear Implant and she can hear a whisper (thank god for modern technology. It is a device that goes into her ear and sends electrodes back to a processer that lets her hear).

She is now 5 and has made such a tremendous amount of progress since she was implanted and now she can hear music and is starting to learn the words to songs.

She is so full of life. She looks at everything as a game, that it is fun. She laughs all the time and has the most remarkable personality. She never ceases to amaze me. She shares with all of her friends no matter what their color, race, gender, religion etc. She doesn't care she just wants to play.

What is the point to this. She was born this way. I didn't teach her to be a good person without hate. She doesn't hate anyone or anything except vegetables. Isn't that how all children are born? Hate is not an inherited trait. Hate comes from the enviornment and the teachers and the parents. I know we aren't the crazy people out there teaching our kids to hate (although some of our posts are a little nutty) but until the world stops teaching children Hate it will never change.

Just my personal opinion but also my hopes for a brighter future. This is dedicated to my true accomplishment in life...Mikayla
Mikayla.bmp

youtwohearts said:

She is now 5 and has made such a tremendous amount of progress since she was implanted and now she can hear music and is starting to learn the words to songs.

Mikayla.bmp

That is truly very very beautiful to hear. I am a musician amongst other things, so.. yeah.

I wish your daughter and you all the best.

Much Love and Respect.

She is a beautiful and sweet girl. I've known her since the day she was born.

Last edited:
youtwohearts, your daughter is beautiful and I am so happy that she has come out of a very hard time doing well.

one4u2, I'm assuming you are Mikayla's Aunt/youtwohearts's sister. It's cool to see sisters posting. :D

one4u2 said:
We are not sisters, we've been friends for over 15 years... We are U2 sisters! :)

That's very cool too! Over 15 years of friendship is pretty awesome! :) :up: youtwohearts said in her profile that her sister introduced her to U2 and there you were, so I erroneously put that together.

:hug: She is beautiful, youtwohearts.
In regards to your other message, you are right - hate, prejudice and intolerence is not something one is born with - it is taught.
Much love to you and Mikayla :heart:

BostonAnne said:
youtwohearts, your daughter is beautiful and I am so happy that she has come out of a very hard time doing well.

one4u2, I'm assuming you are Mikayla's Aunt/youtwohearts's sister. It's cool to see sisters posting. :D

No, not sisters, good friends. However she is called Aunt

awww....so cute.

and you bring up an interesting point about the innocence in children. I think it's hard for a parent in this day and age to make sure their kids grow up in a world that isn't judgemental. I'm sure it's not easy as your daughter grows up to have to explain why people hate Jews or gays or blacks. May be one of the many reasons they say the hardest job in the world is being a parent.

She's a darling :cute:

Now for your "other message" re: hate, etc.... I see what you're saying: hate comes from the environment, the "nurture" if you will, and for the purpose of this agrument I will agree. BUT if this is the case, we can't assume love is inherited either.

Think of those stories of children who were severely neglected...I read one study the other day on a girl who was kept away from human contact until she was 13 and she was as mentally and physically developed as an 18 month old child. She had no hate, but she had no joy, no love, no optimism...she couldn't even walk or talk.

I think my response would be, from my Christian perspective, that the result of Original Sin may not be that hate and other negative emotions are inherited, but that positive emotions are NOT inherited.

I hope that made sense! :reject:

If I may go along this tangent started by LivLuv

Well hate would take root in the human mind as it matures. Neurochemical changes which alter the way in which you deal with others. The human mind is a very, very, very complex computer. I certainly hate certain things and they make me very angry, this can be most useful in some situations. It may be offensive to consider but hatred can drive you furthur and make you stronger - your will cannot be broken against a foe that you hate. Hate is an emotion and a damn powerful one - goes hand in hand with love. They are all so entwined that is what I am driving at.

Without hatred there would be no love, one cannot exist without the other.

Now how a child is reared has a lot to do with attitudes within a society, a blood libel here - killer of prophets there and you can turn an innocent child into a suicide homocide bomber.

This is all nature vs. nurture but when put into practice it is nature and nurture each doing their full in turning a smiling child into a human being - for better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom