The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Diane L

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Freaked out in a Moonage Daydream, oh yeah!
<story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20041226/wl_asia_afp/asiaquake&e=3>

There is a crisis going on in Southeast Asia at the moment. Several countries have been affected by huge tidal waves triggered by the 8.9 Indonesian earthquake.

Among the affected countries is Malaysia, where two resort towns were hit by the tidal waves.

According to the Christmas issue of the NME, Adam Clayton and his family are spending the Christmas holidays in Malaysia.

Let's all say a prayer for all of those affected by this tragedy. Please post in this thread, Interferencers who live in these areas, so we know you're all okay. :hug:

And stay safe tonight, Adam...

Last edited:
No, Jick is from the Phillipines, which is more to the east. However, I've heard that the effects were felt up to Malaysia and Singapore, so I hope Yertle is OK.

:|

I would like to send out a personal message to Sula. She spent a lot of time in that part of the world when she was younger.

Sula, I'm so sorry. I don't know what to say... I thought of you immediately when I heard the news. I hope you are doing ok.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all others being impacted by these terrible events.

btw, please let us know you are ok because I hear Africa has been hit too and I'm not sure if where you are is near the coast or not.

Last edited:
this is horrible news. i just got home from work and turned on cnn to hear of the tsunami that hit sri lanka after the earthquake in indonesia.

they were just interviewing nate berkus by telephone. thank god he's ok. you know the designer guy they always have on oprah? he was swept away by the wave too luckily managed to get to safety. one of his friends is still missing :sad:

That thing must have been huge! The northwest of my state was put on emergency alert yesterday but fortunately it didnt make it this far. Well, a little bit made it to Cocos but their all okay.

I didnt turn the tv on yesterday so I have only just heard about it.

What a tragedy. ...... Im speechless...... :sad:

OMG, 8.9 earthquake? Please, everyone from that area, post and let us know you are OK. How dreadful that anyone has to put up with this. :(

Mercy and Grace follow all of their days.

So much recovery will be needed for people who had so little already.

Words elude me. :sad:

What a horrifying thing. I can't even imagine the scope of the damage.

and also, if you feel up to it, please donate to a charity that can assist. It doesnt matter if they dont have an appeal up and running as yet.

I used to work for Oxfam and when disasters struck the aid was started immediately. Aid organisations dont wait until they have enough donations and then start their work. There will be money that was earmarked for other projects flying out the window right now. Please throw more money into the pot. Thanks.

Peace

The Red Cross said on TV that monetary donations are the best thing people can give. Donations of material items may or may not be the most useful things over there right now so they said please just give money rather than material items or recovery kits.

Jesus...CNN.com puts the death toll higher than 11,000 now. This is a disaster on an absolutely catastrophic scale. :sad:

beli said:
AcroSteve, where are you from, mate? Do you have relatives in India?

I live in :heart: India :heart: and ALL my relatives are in India but we dont live in coastal india..so we are all safe.

In india, most affected were the people who lived close to sea.. or who were on the beach...and fishermen who were in sea...hundreds of them are still missing.

Its a disaster.. and its an extensive disaster :(

AcrobatMan said:

I live in :heart: India :heart: and ALL my relatives are in India but we dont live in coastal india..so we are all safe.

In india, most affected were the people who lived close to sea.. or who were on the beach...and fishermen who were in sea...hundreds of them are still missing.

Its a disaster.. and its an extensive disaster :(

Take care mate. :hug:

From news on two Australian networks (ABC and SBS), it would appear that the quake has now been revised to nine on the Richter scale and over 16,000 are dead, with figures of more than 50,000 projected.

We aren't going to know the real magnitude of this disaster for days. The destruction is staggering and unbelieveable.

My sister, her husband and 2 kids and 2 friends are in Phuket at the moment. Luckily my sister managed to ring my Mum only a few hours after it happened. They are all safe, they did lose my neice for a while, but luckily they found her. They are due home Wednesday, but we are hoping the will get on a earlier flight.

Back
Top Bottom