The Indonesian Earthquake - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2004, 08:55 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 06:57 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

A lot more than just FYMers want to help.

I request that nbc's post be a sticky placed temporarily in each forum so that people who wish to donate can easily and quickly find the necessary information.

Old 12-28-2004, 08:56 PM   #107
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:57 AM
Please do PM or e-mail Elvis with this suggestion.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:57 PM   #108
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 06:57 AM
Old 12-28-2004, 09:17 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Jesus.

Beli do Oxfam and the bigger ones get much remedial support then from the smaller agencies who aren't equipped to make much difference? I guess like resource pooling or something?

Another thing I'm wondering, which is pretty much just clinging to a bit of hope, how do these figures on the tolls emerge so fast? I can't even comprehend the chaos and destruction, yet only hours later we were hearing numbers and I guess I hope that they might be overestimates, thought at this stage I suppose the extent of loss is becoming more clear.
God this is awful.
Theres a few different things that happen. Organisations like Oxfam and Red Cross/ Crescent have field officers in place already as they were previously working in the area. Field officers are local people and as such have a cultural undertanding of their own areas, methods of communications, and knowledge of customs eg dont build that well in that spot, thats a 'sacred site' etc.

Some organisations do link together and divide up chores. eg Red Cross may provide tentlands, Oxfam sets about providing clean water and MSF provides medical supplies. Not quite as cut and dried as that but you get the gist of it.

The smaller ones, and the ones that do not normally work in the area and as such do not have field officers can and do assist through the larger organisations. Some of them. Some of them go it alone. Ill pm you angie about it.

As for the numbers, the first priority in disasters is to round up the dead, have them identified as quickly as possible so they can be buried or cremated. This is urgent and important to prevent outbreaks of diseases. So, lining them up, allows them to be counted as well. Theres some estimation also. Depends whos giving the numbers.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #110
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 05:57 AM
That's a good idea .

My family went and donated a little money tonight-McDonald's was having a thing where you could donate some money.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Another thing I'm wondering, which is pretty much just clinging to a bit of hope, how do these figures on the tolls emerge so fast?
I was wondering that, too. It seems like every few hours that toll keeps going up. If these are fully accurate reports the news things are giving...holy frick...

Angela
Old 12-28-2004, 09:22 PM   #111
Blue Crack Addict

Numbers are from people running around like madpeople collecting the dead. Seriously. They need to be rounded up and buried /cremated IMMEDIATELY. If not this could become an even bigger tragedy then it already is. Natural disasters are nothing compared with diseases that could rip through these villages in no time flat.

They could be overestimated, and there is usually a roll back at the end, but at this point I would imagine its still conservative estimates and the numbers will increase further.

Plus there will be dead from post disaster diseases. Unfortunate but there will be.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:32 PM   #112
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Thanks beli. It is staggering to think of the imediate effects, not just the destruction this has caused, but water and hygiene. The disaster goes beyond the human toll. Its just mammoth.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:36 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Did that make sense? My words are faster then my typing some times. And Im trying hard to not sound clinical about the loved ones lost. Im "talking" in a much more guarded fashion then I would in real life.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:44 PM   #114
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Not at all, well i know what you mean anyway. The first 2 urgent things needed in times like this are clean water and the horrible and clinical removal of the deceased. It gets bloody impossible to keep it personal on a scale as huge as this one.
Sadly, but true.

Old 12-28-2004, 09:48 PM   #115
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:57 AM
You make sense Beli.

No one wants to slight the dead. I know I'd be horrified if my family was just tossed in a mass grave. But if there was no alternative (as there is here), and as the lives of so many more are dependent on sanitation, I'd know in my heart it was for the best.

Honoring a person's life is far more powerful than honoring his/her death. Where or how a person is buried shouldn't hold much meaning - but how they lived did. And this is what we must remember.

However, at this time, it is the safety of the survivors that we must worry about. So your words, Beli, relay what is necessary and has to be done.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:21 PM   #116
War Child

Local Time: 07:57 AM
How incredibly tragic.

Thank you to everyone who has posted information and links here.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:42 PM   #117
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:57 PM
Yeah, that's where the speed is important. Rebuilding lives/towns etc is obviously important, but the next two weeks are crucial. The death toll from the initial event is expected to go over 100,000. Disease could potentialy double that. Clean water and medical supplies need to get in there.

Very happy to see the Australian Govt added another $25million today on top of the $10million already sent, and that doesn't include what the military is doing to help at the moment (airlifts, supplies etc).
Old 12-28-2004, 11:16 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

My wish list of positive things to come out of this disaster:

* an investigation into the financial feasibility of disaster warning systems in the area
* an intergrated approach to disaster management including emergency contact phone numbers for neighbouring countries
* a greater international understanding of the geography and peoples in the region.

Probably somemore things too, Im still pondering. .......
Old 12-29-2004, 02:25 AM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Tsunami Kills People in Sri Lanka, But Not Animals

As Sri Lanka’s human death toll surged, wildlife officials expressed surprise today that they found no evidence of large-scale deaths among animals from the weekend’s massive tsunami.

This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal,” said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays runs a hotel in the Yala National Park.

The huge waves washed floodwaters inland into Yala, Sri Lanka’s largest wildlife reserve, but the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought high ground, Wijeyeratne said.

“Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense,” Wijeyeratne said.

The park is home to 200 elephants, leopards, wild boar and other rare animals.
I find this quite interesting. I think animals do have a sixth sense about this sort of thing. I have been in many cyclones, willy willys, flash floods, plagues, etc and noticed that animals disappear. As a child I gave up looking for my cats before a cyclone hit as by the time the emergency sirens started travelling my cats were well and truely hidden.

Smart creatures they are, the other animals.
Old 12-29-2004, 02:53 AM   #120
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:57 AM
i'm very upset. i feel helpless and far away from home.

foray