The Indonesian Earthquake - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-28-2004, 02:34 PM   #91
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 11:22 AM

Old 12-28-2004, 02:39 PM   #92
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:22 PM
I heard earlier that Richard attenborough's grandaughter died and that his daughter and her mother in law are missing.

The stories about this just makes for very grim reading. I can't look at the pictures on the news anymore.

Old 12-28-2004, 04:10 PM   #93
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:22 AM
This makes bin Laden's latest tape seem extremely trite & whingey.

foray
Old 12-28-2004, 04:27 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I've just spoken to my cousin, he's on holiday at the moment back here in Australia, but works high up for the International Red Cross as a negotiator (meaning this isn't his thing, he works in warzones). But his thoughts were pretty interesting.

As far as giving money goes, there are obviously dozens, maybe hundreds of options for where to send $. All are obviously good and will do great work, but for an immediate effect the best are either the Red Cross or Oxfam, as both already have long standing large scale resources in these areas. Still a ridiculously mammoth task for them, but they've already got I guess a bit of a lead or advantage that means they can move faster.

On the money thing, he also talked about something which I guess could easily end up as a spin off thread (and I don't mean it to), but his obvious anger at a world where governments can raise 10's of billions in no time to wage war against people, but umm and ahh and scratch their heads and argue and debate and come up with only several million for an event like this. It puts so much in perspective. He (my cousin) has a real 'seen it all' kind of world weariness towards all of his, a sort of calm anger, but I always come away from conversations with him with a real rage inside me. Anyway, it's up to us, not our governments, they clearly have more important things on their minds.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:36 PM   #95
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:22 AM
I agree, we could do so much more. 35 million is a drop in the bucket campared to what is needed. Thank God we the people are so generous.

55000 tonight on the news and climbing, watching had me bawling my eyes out. So many children.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:51 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
All are obviously good and will do great work, but for an immediate effect the best are either the Red Cross or Oxfam, as both already have long standing large scale resources in these areas. Still a ridiculously mammoth task for them, but they've already got I guess a bit of a lead or advantage that means they can move faster.

Thank you for posting that important point. I have seen many posts, here and on other websites, of appeals run by agencys that have little or no current operation in this area. I'm sure their hearts are in the right place, positive their intentions are good but at the end of the day the funds need to get there quickly and distributed effectively.

Thanks for speaking about Red Cross/Crescent and Oxfam. I have been biting my tongue as I used to work for Oxfam so I am seriously biased on this issue and I dont want to come across as a prosletising pain in the bum. But I guess I am anyway, so stuff it!

Please send money to Red Cross/Crescent or Oxfam. Thank you.
Old 12-28-2004, 05:42 PM   #97
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Thanks for speaking about Red Cross/Crescent and Oxfam. I have been biting my tongue as I used to work for Oxfam so I am seriously biased on this issue and I dont want to come across as a prosletising pain in the bum. But I guess I am anyway, so stuff it!

Please send money to Red Cross/Crescent or Oxfam. Thank you.
Hey, when it's something like this, prosletise all you want. Many of us want to help and realize that the best way to help is giving money to agencies that can get to work quickly. If you know which ones are set up in the area, by all means let us all know (as you have). I think we all appreciate it.

Thanks also to nbcrusader for the list of agencies.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #98
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lara Mullen

apparently from an aerial view of that area there was little sign of life. they are already guessing the death toll is over 100, 000 people. you can't imagine how so many people could be killed in one event like that.
100,000?! I'm really having trouble even comprehending this. So many lives lost...

FYI Oxfam now has a more direct link set up for donating if anyone needs it. http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_you_can...aquake1204.htm

neutral @ interference.com
Old 12-28-2004, 06:45 PM   #99
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

It's not a matter of "who is better", really just timing. Money to a small agency is still a fantastic thing, will certainly help with rebuilding etc. Money for the immediate emergency should go to the big multinationals though. Red Cross/Oxfam for sure.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #100
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers
It's not a matter of "who is better", really just timing. Money to a small agency is still a fantastic thing, will certainly help with rebuilding etc. Money for the immediate emergency should go to the big multinationals though. Red Cross/Oxfam for sure.
Apologies if I managled your message. I meant some are faster. Apologies again.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

No, no, didn't have any particular posts in mind, just also wanted to clear up, as you said, that it's not necessarily a matter of 'better', just 'quicker'.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:27 PM   #102
Blue Crack Addict

68,000 dead - Reuters
Old 12-28-2004, 08:51 PM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
Thanks so very much for posting all of that, nbc. These are all great organizations, and I know a lot of FYMers want to help out.
A lot more than just FYMers want to help.

I request that nbc's post be a sticky placed temporarily in each forum so that people who wish to donate can easily and quickly find the necessary information.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:53 PM   #104
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Jesus.

Beli do Oxfam and the bigger ones get much remedial support then from the smaller agencies who aren't equipped to make much difference? I guess like resource pooling or something?

Another thing I'm wondering, which is pretty much just clinging to a bit of hope, how do these figures on the tolls emerge so fast? I can't even comprehend the chaos and destruction, yet only hours later we were hearing numbers and I guess I hope that they might be overestimates, thought at this stage I suppose the extent of loss is becoming more clear.
God this is awful.
Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 PM   #105
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

A lot more than just FYMers want to help.

I request that nbc's post be a sticky placed temporarily in each forum so that people who wish to donate can easily and quickly find the necessary information.
I think that's an excellent idea.