The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the people who are not able to donate money, there are otherways to assist. eg donate your time to a local branch of an aid organisation, hold a garage sale and donate the proceeds.

If you dont live near any aid organisations, volunteer at the old folks home, plant a tree, weed out some introduced species from the local areas, etc. Its all interrelated.

One Planet.

This is just breaking my heart.

Heard President Bush earlier addressing the magnitude of the needs, I have to agree with this assessment: (for now)

I think it's very important for Americans who want to give to provide cash to organizations that will be able to focus resources and assets to meet specific needs. In other words, a lot of times Americans, in their desire to help, will send blankets or clothes. That may be necessary, but to me it makes more sense to send cash to organizations that could then use that cash to make sure we match resources with specific needs on the ground. There are many NGOs now involved that understand what is specifically needed to meet the needs of these countries.

President Bush
Crawford, Texas
29 December 2004
Ships, with 90,000 gallon fresh water capabilities, are also being diverted from Guam, Hong Kong and other non-strategetic contries with helicopters, medical supplies and on shore hospital set up. Also three divisions of troops are being sent in these areas to help the relief agencies and to keep the peace.
Donated yesterday to Red Cross/Red Crescent. Standing by for drives to donate clothing and basic necessities.

sue4u2 said:
This is just breaking my heart.

Heard President Bush earlier addressing the magnitude of the needs, I have to agree with this assessment: (for now)

I think it's very important for Americans who want to give to provide cash to organizations that will be able to focus resources and assets to meet specific needs. In other words, a lot of times Americans, in their desire to help, will send blankets or clothes. That may be necessary, but to me it makes more sense to send cash to organizations that could then use that cash to make sure we match resources with specific needs on the ground. There are many NGOs now involved that understand what is specifically needed to meet the needs of these countries.

President Bush
Crawford, Texas
29 December 2004
Can someone remove this,...its propaganda

Rono, I disagree. I do not like Bush either but this is actually the first thing to come out of his mouth to which I agree.

Im sure Sue was just posting something that her leader said that was relevant and valid. Perhaps you would like to post what your leader said? I will go see if my leader has actually said anything sensible..........

I never will post what my leader said. I don`t want to hear what they say when there is something bad happening. I want to hear what they do when there is no disaster.

BTW,. it is not a personal attack on sue. Sorry Sue if it looks that way :hug:

"We'll do everything we can as a regional neighbor and regional friend to assist the countries that have been so very badly affected," Australian Prime Minister John Howard said at a press conference called to express the country's sympathy and announce emergency aid efforts.

:|

Anyway, getting back to Bush. Theres a lot of truth in his words. I have been on the receiving end of people wanting to bring clothes, blankets, optical glasses, shoes, food, etc into a local branch of an aid agency.

Sometimes, when theres not a disaster occurring, yes, clothes and glasses will be shipped. But really the main goal is to get MONEY to the local field officers so they can purchase supplies locally.

Or supplies can be purchased from a neighbouring country where the goods are more likely to be cultural appropriate and cheaper to ship.

So, yes, I agree with Bush. Well said :up:

stagman said:
This is a huge wake-up call from God...if we can't take the hint this time, then we could join the dead anytime soon.

:eyebrow:

I am sorry, but this strikes me as pretty tasteless. Are you inferring that this is God's judgement for something and that these people didn't heed some sort of "wake-up" call? The God I trust does not deal out death and judgement in order to terrorize his children upon the earth. If things like this happen it is because he has given free will to humankind AND to the earth. Nature will act regardless of human beings, much as we human beings act heedless of nature.

vivaSA said:
Here you can find many links for donations to organizations that work in the area and are assisting the earthqauke/tsunami victims.

thanks for the link -- I think it's sooo important,

Italy collected lots of money thanks to sms.
You know, you send a sms, which costs 1,00 Euro (more or less 1,30$) and this goes to a fund for the people of Asia.
Of course, the phone companies are not retaining anything from what you donate!

and there's a mail circulating on the net, which invites you not to buy fireworks for New Year's Day, but use the money to help.

I heard on the radio that the first epidemic of colera hit the area...
can't think about how the number of victims is growing..

I posted before about my sister and family being in Phuket when the tidal wave hit. They are all home now, all pretty traumatised. My brother-in-law is in hospital with a badly infected leg, he came out of the airport in a wheelchair. This is going to take them all years to get over. My 10 year old neice is just laying on the lounge, I think she's still in shock. They are all very lucky that they could get on a plane and fly home, those poor locals have got nothing.

sulawesigirl4 said:

:eyebrow:

I am sorry, but this strikes me as pretty tasteless. Are you inferring that this is God's judgement for something and that these people didn't heed some sort of "wake-up" call? The God I trust does not deal out death and judgement in order to terrorize his children upon the earth. If things like this happen it is because he has given free will to humankind AND to the earth. Nature will act regardless of human beings, much as we human beings act heedless of nature.

Who ever said this was an act of God has just pissed me off, anyway everybody going to have to do their bit to help here.......

Please do help in any way you can.

This is getting really tough. I can't stop crying when I'm watching the news and yet I have a need to see and hear all about this tragedy.

There is no way any of us can imagine the complete destruction that the earthquake and the tsunamis have caused. We can not understand the amount of people that have been killed, injured or are still missing. It's too big a number to imagine. Thinking about them who have lost their families, homes, everything they once had. It breaks my heart.

For me personally it's even impossible to understand and accept the fact that over 200 Finns are still missing and most of them are probably dead. Among them is a famous singer (a big U2 fan) and his family, as well as my neighbour's colleagues. Hundreds of injured Finns will be brought home as soon as possible, although there is a fear that many of them might die during the flight back.

This is the worst crisis that has happened to us since the war. And considering this whole tragedy we didn't even do that bad, although it seems like a horrible thing to say.

We will not celebrate new year because the money is needed elsewhere.

So please help, I know you can.

Having made that big proselytizing post yesterday, I am having a massive guilt trip today. First I want to make it clear that talking about how Man is more evil than we ever suppose God to be, so we should not wail about how cruel He seems to be..first, I want o say that was not meant to disrespct the many on here who are personally affected. Thnaks guys for not taking it the wrong way. This wasn't addressed to people who have lost loved ones. I just wanted to clarify a philosophical POV that, if anything, is addressed to people like me, who are "neutral", that is, are far away from the tragedy and will lose no-one, but sitting on the sidelines might be tempted to make an "armchair general" rant to God about how cruel this all is. I'm sure everyone at times like this goes Job and does this. I did. But that was my final opinion.

Here's the guilt trip. This hit me at a bad time. I got paid on Christmas Eve and spent the last of my extra funds on the holiday. I just made a donation to the Red Cross today, I didn't want to email so I called up the Red Cross and got the info on who to make the check out to, the address , etc.

I suppose if I thought that God was really testing me, just to see if I could give my "widow's mite" and make a true sacrifice, I should donate some or all of my U2 ticket money that I've saved. Here I am prepared to spend upwards of possibly $400 on just 2 U2 ticketd in the coming weeks, and I am ashamed to admit the amount I donated, by comparison. I want to give more, but that ticket fund cannot be touched. If I knew when the tickets were going onsale, I could dip into the fund and replenish it later in the month, but I don't. So for now, I have to keep the Fund intact. I know that when I buy those tickets, if I don't match the amount I spend on tix with a tsunami donation, I'll feel like I've sinned horribly somehow. And there's no way I'll be able to do that. I don't have a lot of money. I already depleted the Fund this summer for the care of a sick relative, and spent 3 months building it up again, working overtime. Say what you will, a U2 concert is a frivolous luxury right now compared to this crisis. But what can I do? Is anybody else out there going through the same dilemma???!?!:(

Then there are the headlines. I was so bitter about statements I'd heard on TV and from world leaders the first 3 days (they seem to be belatedly changing their tone now, but it's 3 damn days too late) that I got into a rant on the phone with the Red Cross guy. He sounded like a really nice guy, not like your typical drone when you finally get through to a human on the phone at these big companies, so I went into a 5-minute rant about world leaders asking Sri Lanka "where do you expect the 1 bill to come from?" (Excuse me, one out of every 5 people in my country is either dead or homeless, and you are asking me this???)and statements like I saw on the hour-long ABC special last night, right after 'Lost"..."Only Sri Lankans, in the end, will be able to help Sri Lanka." (What the !:%#*@ is that supposed to mean? That The west will move onto more important things..like *COUGH* the Iraq election..after its attention span grows weary of Aisa after 3 weeks???) We throw away, like water, 1 billion a WEEK on Iraq??? And nobody asks where Congress gets that money from??? And Merck, the drug giant, spends 10 or 15 MILLION on a TV marketing campaign for one of its expensive new drugs, Vioxx etc, and they're very public about letting us know they're giving ONLY 200,000.

Anyway, I went on and on and the guy was really nice to listen to me. But I was so upset I HAD to rant!!

IF there is a massive, Middle-Ages caliber cholera epidemic next week (and at the rate things are moving, there will be, as sure as the sun sets orange) I'd like to see how comaplacent the govts will be. We get the BBC here too, on NPR, and yesterday someone quoted a Brit commentator saying the best thing they could do was ask the West to forgive their debt..THEN added that as some of these govts were very corrupt, we had to make sure the aid money didn't vanish into Swiss Bank accounts, and we should tie aid later on to promises of good behavior.

Sorry for my rant but just wnen I want to turn the radio off, I have to listen somehow and bear witness, b/c right now, I'm ashamed to be a Westerner. At least, I'd be if I had to face an urban dweller in a city in one of the countires hit, that wasn't affected. They still have media, and can watch our response. The people are wonderful but our govt's suck. The way things are going, we seem ready to let the UN alone do the dirty work, and not contrubute directly, bypassing the UN. That would give Bush and everyone else something else to fob off on Kofi annan, and a legit excuse to get rid of him. You watch.,

Sorry folks. Thanks for putting up with my rant...I'll go now:)

Last edited:
I feel so helpless. I can't even watch or read the news, its so devastating. Really, I'm almost ignoring the numbers. And I can't imagine how this disaster would further harm a region that already has poor economies, poor health and other problems. I mean, this tsunami would worsen everything.

But I'm giving my bit and hopefully some good would come from it.

Also, can you believe these people?

Killer waves, then a day on the beach
By OLINKA KOSTER
31dec04

IT seems almost impossible.
Just days after the tidal wave disaster, one of the devastated beaches was returning to normal yesterday.

On Sunday, Patong Beach was hit by a wall of water that swept into Phuket, claiming at least 120 lives.

Parasols, chairs, and other beach paraphernalia were swept to the top of the tree-lined beach, dragging helpless holidaymakers with them. It was at this beach that six-month-old Melina Heppell, of Perth, disappeared from her father's arms when the huge wave struck.

For some tourists yesterday, however, the tragedy was becoming a memory, albeit a vivid one, as they made the most of the weather and topped up their tans.

Many in bathers and bikinis, some lounged on sunbeds and others took a dip in the water that had claimed so many lives a few days earlier.

Their fun in the sun came despite warnings that aftershocks could follow the disaster that is likely to have killed as many as 100,000.

As many Westerners waited for news of missing loved ones others arrived to take holidays as usual.

Engineer Paul Cunliffe, from Manchester, arrived on an almost empty flight from Malaysia. Gin and tonic in hand, Mr Cunliffe said he and two friends were booked into a beach-front hotel that had escaped serious damage, and had been assured of a "wonderful holiday".

"Our friends think we're mad. The only risk we face I think is if there's another quake. We love the place that much and we thought we would take the risk," he said.

Further south at Surin Beach, where 10 died, tourists also were out in force.

Would anyone here do this? I think its selfish and very insensitive

Last edited:
bammo2 said:
I was reading aboout this in the newspaper earlier

there are pictures of the beach on sunday, and the beach today, with people lying on sun loungers in bikinis

:|

I also read of some places where some tourists were helping to rebuild the hotels ( :up: ), while others were still demanding total service despite the chaos. ( :down: )

I am going through the same emotions as Ava79. I have been crying constantly about this, and I've had to turn off the TV and Internet at times because I just can't handle it anymore. I am lucky to be able to walk away, unlike those who are directly affected.

I've donated to two charities, and hope to do more in a couple of weeks.

Teta040, please don't feel badly about wanting to hang on to your U2 concert money. I just heard Kofi Annan say "We are in this for the long term." You can give more if you wish in a few weeks or even months...the need won't go away quickly. You obviously have a big, big heart. :hug: And you shouldn't feel guilty about wanting to enjoy a U2 concert. It is things like U2 concerts that make life sweet, and make it easier to get through the bad times.

Tourism is a huge part of the economy for many of these countries. Getting the tourism industry back on track will be a goal. Whether the resources are there to operate hotels at the moment, I do not know.

Blah, etc, Im talking in a guarded fashion again. There was a thread here once with people who work in the emergency occupations talking. The thread was closed because some other people were really offended. I dont want this thread to be closed so Ill shut up now.

peace

This is a weird story. My friend's aikido mates went deep sea diving off Phi Phi, but were too deep to be affected by it. When they resurfaced, Phi Phi had changed!

foray

why shouldn't people be back on the beaches? I know that a lot of people died there previously, but the beach is still there regardless, and these people probably paid a lot of money for their vacations.

so why shouldn't they make the most of the money and time they have there?

I just feel its a bit tasteless to vacation so soon at a spot where so many people died, and while many more are dying or suffering.

I'm not saying everyone should get all gloomy and depressed, but I feel out of respect for the dead, couldn't they have waited for another time? Like six months or so? And why couldn't they go some place else if they wanted to go to the beach, like Hawaii or Tahiti? I know they paid a lot for their vacations, but still.

Last edited:
beli said:
Tourism is a huge part of the economy for many of these countries. Getting the tourism industry back on track will be a goal. Whether the resources are there to operate hotels at the moment, I do not know.

Blah, etc, Im talking in a guarded fashion again. There was a thread here once with people who work in the emergency occupations talking. The thread was closed because some other people were really offended. I dont want this thread to be closed so Ill shut up now.

peace

The thing is, the locals in these areas are probably encouraging the tourists to 'get back on the beach'. It sounds awful, I know, but any of you who have travelled around Asia would know what I mean when I say that in the tourism heavy areas, they certainly know what it is they rely on to eat, and they'll put everything aside to make sure tourists have not a worry in the world.

Pearl said:
I'm not saying everyone should get all gloomy and depressed, but I feel out of respect for the dead, couldn't they have waited for another time? Like six months or so?

With all due respect Pearl, It's impossible to imagine these people being anything but gloomy and depressed. Maybe they could have waited for another time, but when was the last time you went 6 months without a paycheck. If I was a business there, and could, I would be back up and running for my own sanity as well as the suvivors. Sitting around being gloomy doesn't help anyone or pay the bills. These areas depend almost entirely on tourist dollars for their livelyhood.
I don't know which article is being talked about here, but it doesn't matter. I HAVE been 6 months without a paycheck, and happen to know what that is like. I don't want to even imagine what these people are going thru trying to decide if they should open again or not.
I don't mean you any disrespect, honestly.. but it's not unspeakable to want to get back to something that resembles something close to normal.

and for whatever it's worth to the person who thought my post from GWB should be deleted, he is not my leader, God is, but whether I like it or not he is the President of my country. I didn't make up the statements I quoted, these were from the Presidents news conference and one of the Generals of the Joint Chiefs of Staff who I was listening to on CNN throughout the day.

Back
Top Bottom