The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
foray said:
i'm very upset. i feel helpless and far away from home.

foray

Where are you, mate? Arent you in Malaysia now? Wheres your family?

:hug:

PS If you want to talk Im on the same time zone as you. So Ill be pretty much awake when you are, etc.

belilindt [at] gmail [dot] com

Last edited:
horrible tragedy

but the death toll could have been so much more significantly reduced had their been a warning system for this natural disaster

the prediction is 100000, but tiny islands, like atolls of islands in indonesia would have been wiped out, those islands have very little access to telecommunications and contact with the rest of the world, some of those islands might have 10000 people on them, the death toll could be pushed upwards

I just hope epidemics won't hit them too soon, but I know this could happen, especially because of the dirty water

Let's keep on praying...

Karl Nilsson of Lulo, Sweden, poses with a sign saying his parents and brothers are missing Tuesday, Dec. 28, 2004, in Phuket, Thailand. The young boys parents were swept out to sea Sunday, Dec. 26, 2004, when a tidal wave struck their beach hotel just north of Phuket, Thailand

capt.dll10812281851.thailand_quake_tidal_wave_dll108.jpg

It still continues to stun me at how far reaching this is. So many countries directly involved, then so many others with massive lists of missing people;

5000 Australians
1500 Swedes
800 Norwegians
720 New Zealanders
214 Danes
200 Finns
200 Czechs
188 Israelis
100 Germans
100 Italians

Of course these are not 'missing' as in 'swept away and not seen since' but are unaccounted for people. For example, Australian Foreign Affairs have said that Australia had 8000 citizens in the areas the tsunami hit. 3000 have checked in safe. 9 are confirmed dead. Approx 20 are listed as officially missing. The whereabouts of some 5000 are unknown. There are many reasons why this may be the case, but it's awful to see such another huge, tragic unknown. We have been warned here in Australia to expect our death toll to rise "quite substantially".

i'm from indonesia n i live in jakarta. this is a really big tragedy for us here in Indonesia. there are approx 33.000 ppl died in Aceh. i can't even imagine it...
a lot of ppl had lost their families there

:sad:

One of my flatmates last year was from Sri Lanka and one from India....I didn't know them very well, but hope they and their families are okay. :( My inlaws were planning on going to the west coast of India in January, but may not now because of the damage.

For Amazon.Com shoppers, they also have a one-click payment link to make a direct contribution to the American Red Cross through your Amazon account. That's how I sent mine.

God Bless.

GeekTronic said:
For Amazon.Com shoppers, they also have a one-click payment link to make a direct contribution to the American Red Cross through your Amazon account. That's how I sent mine.

God Bless.

And after you're done donating, you can keep refreshing the page and watch the total grow.

Last edited:
Hello Friends...

My heart goes to everyone and I am really sad about this. I am too affected. The tsunami did not just took the South East Asians but people from around the world.

What saddened me the most is the number of children who have died. Watching countless of bodies if little children really broke me. The event happened on Sunday and there were so many parents took their kids for picnics by the beach and we Malaysian have never thought such things would happen to our country! We have never experience something like this.

The witnesses told that before the incident happened, fishes, and other marine lifes were so close to the beach and they could even catch it with their hands and then they saw white foams in the horizon with a frigtful sound. And since this thing has never happened to us, so many stayed to watch what would happened and this has cost some of their lives. Parents tried to drag their children out from the sea but they cant stand the waves.....

Thank God that on the time it happened I was in the southtern part of Malaysia which was not affected, and I did planned to go to Penang but I have cancelled it. It was really sad to see the places where I have lived destroyed just like that.....

But the damage and death in the other Country such as Indonesia, India , Sri Langka and Thailand is much more worse, where the dead more than the living and they have not enough food, shelter, staffs and medicine....

I still cant find my friend who lived in the affected area and I hope she will be fine...

Well, before I post a sticky in every forum (which, granted, I can do), I'd just want to bring it to Elvis's attention in case he'd rather put up a banner or something.

I'm not passing the buck, don't worry. ;) Of course, this is incredibly important.

I've posted in the mod forum to ask Elvis and Sicy what they want to do. Since (I think) Elvis is still out of town, we might just do stickies in every forum, but stay tuned.

Look for a link on the main page shortly, and thanks again to the awesome Interlanders who posted the organizations and contact info. :up:

Elvis will be putting it up soon, I think.

Edited to say: I'm happy this was my 5000th post.

When I was 14, I went to visit my aunt's German relatives for the first time. They have a house on the Jersey shore, about 50 miles north of Atlantic City. The day after I had been given a crash course in how to swim in the ocean, I went for a walk with my parents along the shore. I had never even seen the Ocean before this and considered my self a strong swimmer, having spent many summers and other holidays at my grandmother's house in the Finger Lakes area. Well, apparently my parents knew as little about the ocean and her caprices as I, because they had no qualms about letting me wander in an area I wasn't supposed to be. The previous night there had been a storm out to sea. It was a chilly October and I was heavily dressed--jeans, turtleneck, white fake-fur coat--but the water, as people who live there know, was the warmest it would be all year. So I went barefoot. The strong tides overnight from the storm had pushed the sand up into a 2 or 3 foot high series of "mini-cliffs" for an unbroekn stretch as far as the eye could see. I wandered far ahead of them, until they were out of sight, just below these "cliffs", gathering shells, etc. Soon they were out of sight.

I will never forget this moment as long as I live. It was a crystal-clear, bright, sunny morning, with a brisk cold wind blowing. I gathered shells. I was feeling good, and planning to swim late rin the day, although everyone said that today the air was too cold. Suddenly, I looked down, and gasped. Water was swirling around my knees, then my waist. Then everything went black. I was swept off my feet. It all happened in the blink of an eye. For what seemed an eternity I saw nothing but total blackness, and felt myself in a state of suspension. I did not even seem to be moving. (I later surmised that if I had not looked down and gasped, that would have been it, b/c gasping of course filled my lungs with extra air.) Then, after what seemed forever (but was probably no more than 30 seconds) I found myself lying on the beach, far down from where I had been, and far down from the edge of the beach...as far as I could tell. I tried to get up, but my legs would not move. I had no strength, even to lift a finger. I struggled to push myself up on my hands, but had no more strength than a newborn baby. I heard cries, but they were worldless...the image that comes to mind is James Cameron;'s special effects that simulated Rose's distorted sense of hearing in her half-dead state on the raft at the end of "Titanic" when the rowboats were going past. Then, out of nopwhere, there was my stepfather, screaming at me that there was another wave coming and that if I did not get up, we were both done for. I could not move. He managed to half carry me, half drag me out of the wave's reach. We just made it.

I never forgot that experience. I suppose the lack of concern in the aftermath was due to youthful resilence. But it appears that I was the same age at the time as Richard Attenborough's daughter. RIP..God bless and comfort the grieving family.)

What struck me was the awful and overwhelming POWER of the ocean, even from what surely was a puny storm and wave compat\red to many other storms along the Atlantic coast. I never forgot that awful sense of helplessness, of wekness, of being utterly powerless over myself, my mere body, let alone my slugguish mind. And it happened so FAST, you have no time to think. Films can only capture a bare sense of it.

As I grew older I had a chance to reflect on the experience and to tell myself just what a small speck we are, how little in the grand scheme of things. God may have us the stewardship of the earth, but we must never forget that we are just one of His myriad creations. And some have more sense than we, more wisdom. I read the posts aobut the animlas with great interest. If God has given them the means to escapee tragedy, a sense we are denied, we have powers of reason and compassion that they do not.

This is truly a test. We are already being tested daily with our response to the african AIDS crisis. We are being tested now. That experience changed me forever and forever humbled some large part of me. We ask ourselves: "Why? Why do these things happen?" We may be tempted to curse the Creator and think He is evil. But I respond: we, Man, are the evil ones. It is we who start the wars and commit the genocides and massacres of the world. God did not invent the technology of WMD's. He does not create to destroy. All things in His universe have a balance. We upset that balance, and take life that is not ordained to be taken. We, alone of all His creation, take without giving back, eating without needing to, destroying nature without replenishing it, poisoning the earth without thought for its effects even on ourselves. We have much to answer to God for. If GOd in His wisdom and mercy has not destrpyed the earth in a second Flood by now, after this past century, then we have no cause to rail about His supposed lack of mercy.

Having said that, I suppose I would be speaking from someone who has traveled the long road from denial to weary acceptance. I am not the least bit affected personally by this tragedy; I lose no one. But I can only reflect, and try to put it into balance. Those who have lost loved ones are full of rage. But in time all will be healed. The Jews have a saying: the Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the name of the Lord." I'm sure that's a quote. But I say it, even though it is agony to do so.

May we not fail the test.

God bless and comfort the grieving, and though we can be of little solace in the sense of such overwhelming loss, I'm sure every bit is appreciated. Even from people of different faiths.

There is a chapter I urge everyone to read: The final chapters of Dominique LaPierre's non-fiction classic "The City of Joy." 9Oforget the crappy mivie.) IN it he describes the victims' respose to Western outpourings of aid in the aftermath of the 1972 Bangladesh Cyclone. It never fsails to move me to tears (well, actullay the whole book does..it such a vessel of light..) The victimes relatives passed a poorly spelled note in broekn English to the book's main characters, saying "Thank you, our brothers" etc.

I urge everyone to find this book this week. It may make you feel better.

Last edited:
LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
I'm donating today. I can't justify opening presents just a few days ago and then not doing anything I can to help these people who have lost so much.

Me too. I've discovered I can use my bank account to give to the Singapore Red Cross fund. I don't have much but I hope the little goes the long way, as they say.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Me too. I've discovered I can use my bank account to give to the Singapore Red Cross fund. I don't have much but I hope the little goes the long way, as they say.

Ditto. Just got the donation number here in the UK.

yertle-the-turtle said:

If everyone donate 1 dollar it would be great.

I did donate yesterday,...

For the dutch,... giro 555

www.giro555.nl

Donated $50 to the Red Cross today.
not alot, but its something.

I've been following this tragedy from only a few hours after it happened... with the death toll exponentially rising so quickly I thought the toll to end up more than double what the media have been quoting... 80000 now. With whole villages in Sumatra still completly underwater, helicopters have been unable to land nearby and no sign of life....it seems there are plenty of areas where an ucalculable amount of poeple have died.... This added to the threat of desease spreading it seems the total figure will at least be 500 000.
This is a huge wake-up call from God...if we can't take the hint this time, then we could join the dead anytime soon.

Another link to consider www.supportunicef.org

Back
Top Bottom