The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
beli said:
The goss is Adam was in east Malaysia and the waves hit west Malaysia, people swimming at 8:00am.

There are no reported Irish dead. I wouldnt fret.

Beli, thank you for this information! I was worried, even though it seems so wrong to worry about one person when so many people have lost their lives.

I do care very much about everyone affected by this horrible event, too. And I will check out the Oxfam website as a possible place to donate money. Thank you.

CBC Newsworld says the toll of dead and missing is currently over 40,000.

The President of Indonesia also says over 25,000 may be or will end up dead from his country alone. Add to that at least 20,000 already dead and missing from Sri Lanka, plus probably close to 5,000 from Thailand and about the same for India, and when it's all said and done and this will be close to 75,000 dead from the quake and tsunami alone.

Add in the fact that millions are going to be getting typhoid and cholera from dirty water, as well as infections from wounds and death from exposure due to loss of shelter, and the final toll from this could be close to 1,000,000 people.

Larry King is talking to survivors on his show now.
I know someone who just returned to Sri Lanka earlier this year.
He was to be married to a most beautiful young woman. I hope they are ok.
Chamath, I know you are a U2 fan. Email me and let me know if you and your family are OK!!!
Oh Jesus, help them..
Just heard a 1/4 of a million people are homeless in Sri Lanka, alone. :sad:

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:
When something like this happens, it just puts everything else into perspective. :sad:

23,000 dead. At times like this it's hard to believe in God.

no, you don't have to doubt Him.
Certain people consider things like that as "test", but I don't.
I'm sure it's not God's will to kill His sons and daughters in such a horrible way.
I'm still in the group that thinks that, when something like this happen, God's crying for his children and gets ready to take them all in his arms.

The thing that makes me angry is that there is a way to prevent such catastrophes: you can minitorate the area, so that you can know that a heartquake is approaching and react and take people to safer places. But, as you can imagine, it's a very expensive techology and the Countries that were hit by this tragedy couldn't afford it...

Thank goodness for FYMers who care. I have family and friends in north Malaysia, where it's affected. Yes, the numbers are terrifying.

foray

This is such a sad thing! I really feel for all the people affected by this... I feel really helpless. All I can do is donate money...

An Indian man cries as he holds the hand of his eight-year-old son who was killed when a tsunami hit on Sunday in Cuddalore, 180 km (112 miles) south of the southern Indian city of Madras December 27, 2004.

r2391972658.jpg

indian toll is more than 9400 as per local news channels, media, this time.

more than half of indians who were killed are from andamans and nicobar...

andamans and nicobar has a population of 0.35 million....5000 are feared dead, and many more missing.

a conservative estimate is 1 in 70 people there is dead :(

they should have been better facilities of warning of arrival of tidal waves

:( :sad:

Do we know if Adam went to malaysia or not, it isnt clear when the interview took place.

My heart goes out to everyone who has suffered in this tradgedy,

[q]
Scientists in USA saw tsunami coming

Tue Dec 28, 7:11 AM ET

By Dan Vergano, USA TODAY

Minutes after a massive earthquake rocked the Indian Ocean on Sunday, international ocean monitors knew that a tsunami would likely follow. But they didn't know whom to tell.

"We put out a bulletin within 20 minutes, technically as fast as we could do it," says Jeff LaDouce of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. LaDouce says e-mails were dispatched to Indonesian officials, but he doesn't know what happened to the information.

The problem is that Sunday's earthquake struck the unmonitored Indian Ocean. An international system of buoys and monitoring stations - the Pacific Tsunami Warning Center based in Hawaii - spans the Pacific, alerting nations there to any oncoming disasters. But no such system guards the Indian Ocean.

(There isn't one in the Atlantic Ocean because there are comparatively few earthquakes there. LaDouce says efforts are being made in the Caribbean to set up a warning system after last year's tsunami caused by the volcanic collapse on the island of Montserrat.)

"Sumatra has an ample history of great earthquakes, which makes the lack of a tsunami warning system in the Indian Ocean all the more tragic," says geologist Brian Atwater of the U.S. Geological Survey (news - web sites). "Everyone knew Sumatra was a loaded gun."

On Monday, Asian government officials, notably in India, discussed plans to coordinate efforts to develop an Indian Ocean system. "It's a people problem, not a technology problem," says geophysicist Teng-fong Wong of the State University of New York-Stony Brook. "Governments just have to cooperate."

In fact, the detector buoys that monitor tsunami surges have been available for decades. They record water heights and send measurements throughout the Pacific network. False alarms are a concern, slowing the speed with which bulletins can be released. A 1986 false alarm in Hawaii cost more than $30 million in evacuation costs.

LaDouce notes that warnings are of little use without evacuation plans, given how quickly a tsunami can travel. Tsunami waves struck Sumatra minutes after the quake and hit Thailand within an hour.

"Even if you give the tourist resorts in Thailand a half-hour's notice, it is no easy matter to evacuate vast swaths of coastland," he says. "You have to plan and train people. And then do it all over again." [/q]

:sad: I feel so awful reading this and not being able to do anything. My donations just seems so meaningless. I feel for everyone who is dealing with this tragedy. The fear of what is or may be in stored for all is frigthening.

[q]

Asia Struggles with Disaster Aftermath, 50,000 Dead

25 minutes ago Top Stories - Reuters

By David Fox

GALLE, Sri Lanka (Reuters) - The sea and wreckage of coastal towns all around the Indian Ocean yielded up tens of thousands of bodies on Tuesday, pushing the toll from Sunday's tsunami past 50,000.

The apocalyptic destruction caused by the wave dwarfed the efforts of governments and relief agencies as they turned from rescuing survivors to trying to care for millions of homeless, increasingly threatened by disease amid the rotting corpses.

"Why did you do this to us, God?" wailed an old woman in a devastated fishing village in southern India's Tamil Nadu state. "What did we do to upset you? This is worse than death."

"The enormity of the disaster is unbelievable," said Bekele Geleta, head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) in Southeast Asia.

Sri Lanka and Indonesia reported death tolls around 19,000 each and expected them to keep rising.

India's toll of 11,500 included at least 7,000 on one archipelago, the Andamans and Nicobar. On one island, the surge of water triggered by Sunday's cataclysmic undersea earthquake killed two-thirds of the population.

At magnitude 9.0, the tremor was the biggest in 40 years. The chasm that it tore in the seabed off the Indonesian island of Sumatra launched a tsunami that raced across the Andaman Sea and struck Sri Lanka, southern India, the Maldives, Malaysia, Myanmar and resorts packed with Christmas tourists in Thailand.

The surge battered thousands of miles of coastline in a vast arc from Indonesia to Tanzania. Fishing villages, ports and resorts were devastated, power and communications cut and homes destroyed.

FIELD OF DEATH

In northern Indonesia's remote Aceh region, closest to the epicenter, bodies littered the streets. About 1,000 people lay on a sports field where they were killed when the three-story-high wall of water struck.

Mahmud Azaf, a referee, lost his three children.

"I was in the field as a referee. The waves suddenly came in and I was saved by God -- I got caught in the branches of a tree," he said.

Miles of shattered hotels along Thailand's Khao Lak beach, a magnet for Scandinavian and German tourists, began yielding up dead, bloated, gashed and mangled bodies.

The 770 dead so far counted at Khao Lak came from dozens of countries as well as Thailand.

"My son is crying for his mother," said Bejkhajorn Saithong, 39, searching for his wife at a hotel on the beach that had been knocked off its foundations. "I think this is her. I recognize her hand, but I'm not sure."

Around the ring of devastation, Sweden reported 1,500 citizens missing, the Czech Republic almost 400, Finland 200 and Italy and Germany 100.

The United Nations (news - web sites) said the disaster was unique in encompassing such a large area and so many countries.

"The cost of the devastation will be in the billions of dollars," said Jan Egeland, head of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

"However, we cannot fathom the cost of these poor societies and the nameless fishermen and fishing villages ... that have just been wiped out. Hundreds of thousands of livelihoods have gone."

"This was the worst day in our history," said Sri Lankan Y.P. Wickramsinghe, picking through the rubble of his sea-front dive shop in the port city of Galle, strewn with the wreckage of buses and toppled buildings.

"I wish I had died. There is no point in living."

MILLIONS HOMELESS

Around Sri Lanka's southern coasts about 1.5 million people -- or one in 12 of the population -- were homeless, many sheltering in Buddhist temples and schools.

For the most immediate needs, hundreds of relief planes packed with emergency goods were due to arrive in the region from about two dozen countries within the next 48 hours.

But authorities waited in trepidation for the outbreak of diseases caused by polluted drinking water and the sheer scale of thousands of putrefying bodies, lying in mud or being washed onto beaches.

The U.N.'s Egeland said there could be epidemics of intestinal and lung infections unless health systems in the stricken countries got help.

"Many bodies are still lying on the streets," said Lieutenant-Colonel Budi Santoso in Aceh. "There just aren't enough body bags."

"I've never buried so many in a single day in my life," said Shekhar, an Indian gravedigger.

On the island of Chowra in the Andaman and Nicobar islands, not far from the epicenter of Sunday's quake, rescuers found only 500 survivors from 1,500 residents. A hundred air force officers and their families vanished from one island base.

Authorities said at least 7,000 people were confirmed or presumed dead in the group of more than 550 islands.

The United Nations' children's fund said Sri Lankan survivors faced an unexpected threat from some of the 2 million land mines buried there as the result of ethnic conflict.

"Mines were floated by the floods and washed out of known minefields, so now we don't know where they are," UNICEF (news - web sites)'s Ted Chaiban said in Colombo.

"The greatest danger to civilians will come when they begin to return to their homes, not knowing where the mines are." [/Q]

Last edited:
I heard on the news this morning, that over 40,000 people have died. I can't even imagine the grief of men, women, and children who have lost their loved ones. I do feel helpless, (similar to the way I felt on 9/11), but thanks to those who provided the names and contact info to agencies helping this horrific tragedy. I belong to the board of an organization, and I'm going to see if we can do something collectively to help.

I just found this on Yahoo:

Death toll

Sri Lanka

India

Indonesia

Thailand

Malaysia

Myanmar

Maldives

Bangladesh

Somalia

Tanzania

Total
55,098 :sad:

This is just to massive a tragedy for us to not do something. We all have a real opportunity to make a difference and show we care. Let's all please donate something and be in constant prayer for these nations.

You may think that what you are doing is just a drop in the bucket. But the bucket would truly be less without that one drop.
--Mother Teresa

Thanks for the links nbcrusader. I just made a donation to Mercy Corps. This is absolutely horrific. I'm sickened.

Last edited:
Aceh is stunning. One island, closest to the epicentre (incredibly close), they are still not in contact with. 60,000 people unnaccounted for there alone. And of course with the political/military situation there....

Earnie Shavers said:
Aceh is stunning. One island, closest to the epicentre (incredibly close), they are still not in contact with. 60,000 people unnaccounted for there alone. And of course with the political/military situation there....

apparently from an aerial view of that area there was little sign of life. they are already guessing the death toll is over 100, 000 people. you can't imagine how so many people could be killed in one event like that. :(

I feel bad for those scientists...they were doing what they could to warn people...

Also, MrsSpringsteen, holy crud, that picture...:sad: :hug:. I wish I could actually give that man a hug. I know it wouldn't be much, but...I still wish I could do it.

I was saying to some other people that I would hate to be the one who has the job of gathering up the dead, or cleaning up the mess, or telling the families and friends of those who died that their loved one(s) are gone, so I have the utmost respect for those who are going to take on those tasks.

This is just insane, this whole ordeal. I'll show my parents the links tonight. I want to do something for these people.

Angela

For the record, Interferencer Oziwee is okay, not currently living in the area that was effected. Oziwee is personally okay but cant contact some friends. :sad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom