The Indonesian Earthquake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aussie said:
My sister, her husband and 2 kids and 2 friends are in Phuket at the moment. Luckily my sister managed to ring my Mum only a few hours after it happened. They are all safe, they did lose my neice for a while, but luckily they found her. They are due home Wednesday, but we are hoping the will get on a earlier flight.

Glad your neice is safe, and the family will be home soon. :hug:

the figures are absurd! can't believe it!
all the dead will be in my prayers today.

I also heard a lot of tourists coming from various parts of the world were there. At least 11 italian guys died there.

i just hope the international community can get up and help the people hit by this tragedy.

When I woke up this morning and saw that the number had doubled to 20,000+ my heart just sank. Care International is sending relief kits to the area, I know I will try to contribute what I can and I hope y'all will too.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts. We're unaffected by the waves themselves but apparently the tremor effects of the earthquake were felt in parts of the island shortly after the quake.

Quite happy to see AcroSteve around, glad you and your family are OK. Thoughts and prayers to all with loved ones in the affected areas.

I heard that an island near the epicenter moved 100 feet to the Southwest!

Here are some relief agencies responding to the earthquake:

American Jewish World Service
45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10018
800-889-7146
www.ajws.org

American Red Cross
International Response Fund
PO Box 37243
Washington, DC 20013
800-HELP NOW
www.redcross.org

Catholic Relief Services
PO Box 17090
Baltimore, MD 21203-7090
800-736-3467
www.catholicrelief.org

Direct Relief International
27 South La Patera Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
805-964-4767
www.directrelief.org

Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres
PO Box 2247
New York, NY 10116-2247
888-392-0392
www.doctorswithoutborders.org

International Medical Corps
11500 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 506
Los Angeles, CA 90064
800-481-4462
www.imcworldwide.org

International Orthodox Christian Charities
Middle East Crisis Response
PO Box 630225
Baltimore, MD 21263-0225
877-803-4622

www.iocc.org

Mercy Corps
PO Box 2669
Portland, OR 97208
800-852-2100
www.mercycorps.org

Operation USA
8320 Melrose Avenue, Ste. 200
Los Angeles, CA 90069
800-678-7255
www.opusa.org

nbcrusader said:
I heard that an island near the epicenter moved 100 feet to the Southwest!

Here are some relief agencies responding to the earthquake:

American Jewish World Service
45 West 36th Street, 10th Floor
New York, NY 10018
800-889-7146
www.ajws.org

American Red Cross
International Response Fund
PO Box 37243
Washington, DC 20013
800-HELP NOW
www.redcross.org

Catholic Relief Services
PO Box 17090
Baltimore, MD 21203-7090
800-736-3467
www.catholicrelief.org

Direct Relief International
27 South La Patera Lane
Santa Barbara, CA 93117
805-964-4767
www.directrelief.org

Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontieres
PO Box 2247
New York, NY 10116-2247
888-392-0392
www.doctorswithoutborders.org

International Medical Corps
11500 West Olympic Blvd., Suite 506
Los Angeles, CA 90064
800-481-4462
www.imcworldwide.org

International Orthodox Christian Charities
Middle East Crisis Response
PO Box 630225
Baltimore, MD 21263-0225
877-803-4622

www.iocc.org

Mercy Corps
PO Box 2669
Portland, OR 97208
800-852-2100
www.mercycorps.org

Operation USA
8320 Melrose Avenue, Ste. 200
Los Angeles, CA 90069
800-678-7255
www.opusa.org

thank you. I was looking for information.

Thanks so very much for posting all of that, nbc. These are all great organizations, and I know a lot of FYMers want to help out. :up:

Its so weird, here in the states you turn on the news and see 22,000 people dead and it gets 2 mins of coverage. Scott Peterson kills one person and we get to see it for 2 years.
Its just strange.

I've just watched the news and they said that the death toll is now at 23,000 and thousands are missing. :sad:

You just don't have words for something like this. In the news they told about a young Finnish boy (now on his way back to Finland) who had lost his whole family and didn't even have shoes on. So he has basically lost everything. One story like this made me cry and knowing that thousands and thousands of similar stories will be told...it just breks my heart and makes me feel absolutely helpless.

:(

:| I have been out of town over the weekend, celebrating Christmas in a tiny village with another Peace Corps friend. This is indeed very shocking and saddenning news. I grew up in Indonesia but fortunately, everyone I know lives in the center of the country, where it appears to have been alright. Still, very sad and I hope that the survivors and refugees are able to rebuild their lives.

This is terrible. Let's be thankful the earthquake itself was underwater. In that part of the world, if the earthquake had been on land they'd be dealing with more than just tidal waves and the death toll might be ten times what it is. Not to minimize what it is, though.

Terrible.

:hug: Thank god that those of you who live in that area or have family in that area are all alive and well. Thanks for notifiying us.

Originally posted by Ava79
In the news they told about a young Finnish boy (now on his way back to Finland) who had lost his whole family and didn't even have shoes on. So he has basically lost everything.

Oh, god...:sad: :hug: :( :tsk:. May he have a safe trip back to Finland-hopefully he'll have somebody there who can take care of him. *Wants to adopt him*

I saw footage of this on the Weather Channel last night. Geez...all that water (they said some of the waves were 20 feet high)...that's just insane.

As soon as my parents get home from work, I should talk to them, see if there's anything we can do to help these people, 'cause they sure as hell deserve all the help they can get.

Angela

Children may account for one-third of tsunami victims: UN warns

COLOGNE, Germany (DPA): Children in fishing villages may account for one-third of all victims of the killer tsunamis in southern Asia, the UNICEF office in Germany warned on Monday.

The spokesman said UNICEF country offices circling the Indian Ocean are assessing damage from the Sumatra earthquake that touched off a series of tsunamis, killing thousands of people and leaving hundreds of thousands of children and their families in jeopardy.

UNICEF offices in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, the Maldives, India, and Sri Lanka are working with national and local governments and other UN agencies to assess the damage and mobilize immediate relief.

"The power of this earthquake, and its huge geographical reach, are just staggering," said UNICEF Executive Director Carol Bellamy said in a statement.

"Hundreds of thousands of children in coastal communities in six countries may be in serious jeopardy," she said.

"We're supporting governments in their damage assessments, and we're prepared to respond wherever help is needed."

All UNICEF offices in the region have been mobilized to support relief efforts.

Emergency supplies are on standby at the UNICEF global supply hub in Copenhagen and relief flights can be launched at any hour. (***)

Noticed this on the U2.com site (from Adam):

//U2.com
What are your own plans for Christmas and the New Year ?

//Adam
Myself and my girlfriend are going to Malaysia to chill out and find some quality time …it will be good to be together as there will be a lot of running around next year.

Hopefully he's okay.

Back
Top Bottom