The Indonesian Earthquake - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 05:24 PM   #151
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:18 AM
For the people who are not able to donate money, there are otherways to assist. eg donate your time to a local branch of an aid organisation, hold a garage sale and donate the proceeds.

If you dont live near any aid organisations, volunteer at the old folks home, plant a tree, weed out some introduced species from the local areas, etc. Its all interrelated.

One Planet.

Old 12-29-2004, 08:03 PM   #152
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 PM
excellent post, beli. so true.

canada has upped the aid being sent to $40 million. a huge sum, but not nearly enough.

Old 12-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #153
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:18 PM
This is just breaking my heart.

Heard President Bush earlier addressing the magnitude of the needs, I have to agree with this assessment: (for now)

I think it's very important for Americans who want to give to provide cash to organizations that will be able to focus resources and assets to meet specific needs. In other words, a lot of times Americans, in their desire to help, will send blankets or clothes. That may be necessary, but to me it makes more sense to send cash to organizations that could then use that cash to make sure we match resources with specific needs on the ground. There are many NGOs now involved that understand what is specifically needed to meet the needs of these countries.

President Bush
Crawford, Texas
29 December 2004
Ships, with 90,000 gallon fresh water capabilities, are also being diverted from Guam, Hong Kong and other non-strategetic contries with helicopters, medical supplies and on shore hospital set up. Also three divisions of troops are being sent in these areas to help the relief agencies and to keep the peace.
Donated yesterday to Red Cross/Red Crescent. Standing by for drives to donate clothing and basic necessities.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:53 PM   #154
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by sue4u2
This is just breaking my heart.

Heard President Bush earlier addressing the magnitude of the needs, I have to agree with this assessment: (for now)

I think it's very important for Americans who want to give to provide cash to organizations that will be able to focus resources and assets to meet specific needs. In other words, a lot of times Americans, in their desire to help, will send blankets or clothes. That may be necessary, but to me it makes more sense to send cash to organizations that could then use that cash to make sure we match resources with specific needs on the ground. There are many NGOs now involved that understand what is specifically needed to meet the needs of these countries.

President Bush
Crawford, Texas
29 December 2004
Can someone remove this,...its propaganda
Old 12-29-2004, 11:58 PM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Rono, I disagree. I do not like Bush either but this is actually the first thing to come out of his mouth to which I agree.

Im sure Sue was just posting something that her leader said that was relevant and valid. Perhaps you would like to post what your leader said? I will go see if my leader has actually said anything sensible..........
Old 12-30-2004, 12:03 AM   #156
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I never will post what my leader said. I don`t want to hear what they say when there is something bad happening. I want to hear what they do when there is no disaster.

BTW,. it is not a personal attack on sue. Sorry Sue if it looks that way
Old 12-30-2004, 12:13 AM   #157
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
"We'll do everything we can as a regional neighbor and regional friend to assist the countries that have been so very badly affected," Australian Prime Minister John Howard said at a press conference called to express the country's sympathy and announce emergency aid efforts.

Anyway, getting back to Bush. Theres a lot of truth in his words. I have been on the receiving end of people wanting to bring clothes, blankets, optical glasses, shoes, food, etc into a local branch of an aid agency.

Sometimes, when theres not a disaster occurring, yes, clothes and glasses will be shipped. But really the main goal is to get MONEY to the local field officers so they can purchase supplies locally.

Or supplies can be purchased from a neighbouring country where the goods are more likely to be cultural appropriate and cheaper to ship.

So, yes, I agree with Bush. Well said
Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
I never will post what my leader said. I don`t want to hear what they say when there is something bad happening. I want to hear what they do when there is no disaster.
okay
Old 12-30-2004, 12:31 AM   #159
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by stagman
This is a huge wake-up call from God...if we can't take the hint this time, then we could join the dead anytime soon.

I am sorry, but this strikes me as pretty tasteless. Are you inferring that this is God's judgement for something and that these people didn't heed some sort of "wake-up" call? The God I trust does not deal out death and judgement in order to terrorize his children upon the earth. If things like this happen it is because he has given free will to humankind AND to the earth. Nature will act regardless of human beings, much as we human beings act heedless of nature.

Old 12-30-2004, 02:23 AM   #160
War Child

Here you can find many links for donations to organizations that work in the area and are assisting the earthqauke/tsunami victims.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:58 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by vivaSA
Here you can find many links for donations to organizations that work in the area and are assisting the earthqauke/tsunami victims.
thanks for the link -- I think it's sooo important,

Italy collected lots of money thanks to sms.
You know, you send a sms, which costs 1,00 Euro (more or less 1,30$) and this goes to a fund for the people of Asia.
Of course, the phone companies are not retaining anything from what you donate!

and there's a mail circulating on the net, which invites you not to buy fireworks for New Year's Day, but use the money to help.

I heard on the radio that the first epidemic of colera hit the area...
can't think about how the number of victims is growing..
Old 12-30-2004, 06:24 AM   #162
Babyface

I posted before about my sister and family being in Phuket when the tidal wave hit. They are all home now, all pretty traumatised. My brother-in-law is in hospital with a badly infected leg, he came out of the airport in a wheelchair. This is going to take them all years to get over. My 10 year old neice is just laying on the lounge, I think she's still in shock. They are all very lucky that they could get on a plane and fly home, those poor locals have got nothing.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:26 AM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 PM

i'm glad your family made it through the disaster and came back home.

there are no words for how horrible this is.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:21 AM   #164
Refugee

Local Time: 07:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by vivaSA
Thanks so much for the link. I copied it and will bring it to my AWC meeting next week.
Old 12-30-2004, 07:42 AM   #165
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by sulawesigirl4

I am sorry, but this strikes me as pretty tasteless. Are you inferring that this is God's judgement for something and that these people didn't heed some sort of "wake-up" call? The God I trust does not deal out death and judgement in order to terrorize his children upon the earth. If things like this happen it is because he has given free will to humankind AND to the earth. Nature will act regardless of human beings, much as we human beings act heedless of nature.

Who ever said this was an act of God has just pissed me off, anyway everybody going to have to do their bit to help here.......