The Independent Thinker Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macfistowannabe

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Whether you are liberal or conservative does not mean that you have to be a bootlicker. For example, I am overall in favor of President Bush, but when it comes to protecting our borders, I can honestly say that I'd rather have Zell Miller in office.

We have a good portion of independent thinkers here on FYM.

So here begs the question: how are YOU an independent thinker? How aren't your views being represented by your leaders?

Coming from a European perspective my main gripe with our system would be that there is no Libertarian party in most countries. Almost all parties, to a greater or lesser extent, support big government.

I'm not necessarily saying I would vote Libertarian - but it would be nice to have the option.

People I respect but don't necessarily agree with would include Patrick Buchanan (pundit and former US Presidential candidate) and Charles Moore (former editor of the UK Daily Telegraph). Both are firm conservatives - which I am not - but I can respect their point of view as it stems from conviction.

financeguy said:
Coming from a European perspective my main gripe with our system would be that there is no Libertarian party in most countries. Almost all parties, to a greater or lesser extent, support big government.
:up: Excellent response, thanks for posting.

Se7en said:

honestly, i haven't read much trotsky. so definitely no on him. i would say marx is an influence, albeit a significant one, more so than a leader. where's the sense in following a dead guy?
Ronald Reagan is a "dead guy", but his ideas are alive and well.

Macfistowannabe said:
Ronald Reagan is a "dead guy", but his ideas are alive and well.

i think what i was trying to get at was that marx lived in the 19th century. now that it's 2005 it would be silly to "follow" him word for word. not that his ideas are dead, but dogmatic approval is useless.

Se7en said:

i think what i was trying to get at was that marx lived in the 19th century. now that it's 2005 it would be silly to "follow" him word for word. not that his ideas are dead, but dogmatic approval is useless.
I don't follow Reagan's ideas word for word, I evolve. For example, his inaction on the AIDS crisis is where I like to separate my views from his.

"So here begs the question: how are YOU an independent thinker? How aren't your views being represented by your leaders?"

I believe that Rebel from Nazareth was telling the truth.

I vote Libertarian.

I do not see Libertarian ideas being expressed from politicians.

I'm an independent thinker, because I can't stand any existing political structures and can't think of one politician or aspiring politician that I like.

People are more interested in greed, division, and ideology than common sense.

Melon

I don't follow any party....I vote for the man.....I don't take the whole package of ANYTHING...learned that early in life from John Lennon....Susan

financeguy said:

I think I kind of agree with you here, I usually suppport the green lefties here, and when it comes to influences of the government, I usually find myself on the right side compared to the rest of their voters. But it's not as if the size of the government is a matter of principle to me, it depends on the issue.

Also I often see politicians too busy with trivialities and one-liners. This bores me to tears. :sad:

Back
Top Bottom