The Incandescent Lightbulb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh dear. We will now be plunged into the deepest of darkness without the incandescent light bulb. Horrors. :|

Press Releases

Outlaw light bulbs and only outlaws will have light bulbs

Washington, D.C. - Among the regulations packed into the newest energy bill that just passed Congress this week, a ban on the incandescent light bulb will officially end what Edison started 130 years ago. "If you outlaw light bulbs, then only outlaws will have light bulbs," says Libertarian Party Executive Director Shane Cory.

"The ban on incandescent light bulbs may seem almost comical," says Cory, "but it raises several red flags on the level of government intrusion in people's lives. From the toilets in your bathroom to the lights in your ceiling, there are very few consumer products free from some form of government regulation. I seriously doubt regulating light bulbs was intended to be a necessary-and-proper role of the federal government."

Incandescent light bulbs will begin to be phased out in 2012, with a complete ban finalized in 2014. Manufacturers will be forced to switch to compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs, which can cost more than six times as much as the common incandescent bulb. While CFL bulbs are much more energy efficient, to maintain the bulb's longevity and achieve maximum efficiency, consumers must adhere to proper operating suggestions made by Congress, such as leaving the bulb turned on for at least 15 minutes.

"Not only do consumers have to alter how they use light in their houses, they must also take a number of precautions with CFL bulbs that were unnecessary when using incandescent bulbs," says Libertarian Party Media Coordinator Andrew Davis. "Because of the toxic levels of mercury in CFL bulbs, consumers will need to check with their waste management providers for proper disposal methods, and consumers will also have to research how to clean up broken bulbs. These bulbs may save energy in the long run, but at a great inconvenience to the consumer."

The Libertarian Party believes in free market solutions to environmental problems, and vehemently opposes government regulation that interferes with private business and personal liberty. The Libertarian Party also maintains that solutions cannot come from America's biggest polluter: the federal government.

"How many Americans does it take to change a light bulb?" Davis asks jokingly. "I guess we'll have to wait for next year's energy bill to find out."

The Libertarian Party is America's third largest political party, founded in 1971 as an alternative to the two main political parties. You can find more information on the Libertarian Party by visiting www.lp.org. The Libertarian Party proudly stands for smaller government, lower taxes and more freedom.

This is really silly, particularly since the new bulbs work in the exact same sockets. And, sure, they cost a little more right now, but they do last considerably longer, in addition to using less energy. However, when this law is enacted, "economies of scale" will kick in and make them cheaper--just like HDTVs, which, by the way, are increasingly necessary, considering analog TV will cease to transmit in 2009. I'm guessing our resident "libertarians" didn't bitch about that, due to the money to be made on the spectrum being vacated.

While I have had increasing libertarian tendencies over the last year, I get the sense that most self-described libertarians, at least in the U.S., are lunatics.

martha said:
I :heart: incandescent light. I find fluorescent light too harsh, too blinky, and too hard to read by. But nobody reads anymore, so what do they care.

The compact fluorescents did bother me at first when I would read, but once I got used to them I was fine. I've used compact fluorescents for the vast majority of my lighting for a decade or more. Some brands do have better looking light than others though so it's a good idea to buy a few different ones and see which work better for you.

The newer CFLs are better - they have full spectrum ones as well. LED lamps will also be a good alternative as they become cheaper. I don't think the bill went far enough in terms of energy conservation. California also was not allowed to reduce emissions faster, because industry was against it.

Canadiens1160 said:
LEDs > CFLs > incandescent bulbs > candles > flourescent lights

Yes, but those Christmas LED lights are heinous. There is a house out here decked out in blue and purple and what an eyesore!

martha said:
I :heart: incandescent light. I find fluorescent light too harsh, too blinky, and too hard to read by. But nobody reads anymore, so what do they care.
When did you checked ? 10 years ago ? i have several ( from yellow to pink shinning haze )

Rono said:
When did you checked ? 10 years ago ? i have several ( from yellow to pink shinning haze )

Yes, the color is an issue of color temperature, not a technological limitation. The CFLs in my house are at the same color as the previous light bulbs we had.

martha said:
And they're not blinky and glaring and awful? :hmm:

No. I haven't had that experience. They seem to have very little in common with the stereotypical institutional fluorescent lights.

Is the light as warm as incandescent light?

It can be, I'm sure. It comes down to color temperature. There are traditional light bulbs out there that are manufactured to be "white light," instead of the the traditional warm "yellow light" that most of us are used to.

Here's an example:

465px-CFBulbs.jpg

From left to right:

(1) Compact Fluorescent: General Electric, 13 watt, 6500 K
(2) Incandescent: Sylvania 60-Watt Extra Soft White
(3) Compact Fluorescent: Bright Effects, 15 watts, 2644 K
(4) Compact Fluorescent: Sylvania, 14 watts, 3000 K

In short, only #2 is a standard, incandescent light bulb, and while the first one is what one would expect out of a CFL, the latter two bulbs emit the same kind of light as the incandescent bulb. Notice that, in color temperature, the higher the number, the "bluer" the light source is. So, if one wants the standard indoor lighting, they should aim for a bulb around 2500K-3500K. 6500 K is "white."

blackbodyglowinfinity.png

Hope that helps.

the iron horse said:

Hardly anyone protested.

There's a reason for that.

I love my CFLs. Like indra said, experiment with a few different kinds. There's one kind that I avoid that has to sort of warm up to its full brightness. In general I prefer the ones like these:

10120.jpg

this is a sin

read the book

Let there be light: and there was light.
the light, it was good

Who do we think we are,
to divide the light from the darkness?

Last edited:
deep said:
this is a sin

read the book

Let there be light: and there was light.
the light, it was good

Who are we think we are,
to divide the light from the darkness?

Actually it's a sin because when God said "let there be light" he meant incandescent light, dammit! :grumpy: :wink:

You know, I used to see these things at target in the bin for a buck, now that they're 'enviornment savers' they are eight bucks. Looks like somebody's trying to get rich off this. boo.

I hate them. Got one in my bathroom. Can't see how to put my eye liner on right. Have to open the shades and hope the sun's out.

Last edited:
AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
Can't see how to put my eye liner on right. Have to open the shades and hope the sun's out.

That's what make-up mirrors are for. :wink:

I just read this in Time magazine yesterday while my wife was at the doc.

The incandescent bulb uses 60 watts of power, cost $.25 to $1 per bulb, lasts about 1,000 hours and costs $262.80 to power during a five-year period.

The CFL uses 15 watts of power, costs about $2 per bulb, lasts about $10,000 hours and costs $65.70 during a five-year period.

So, we're talking $52.56 a year per bulb vs. $13.14 with the CFLs. That adds up when you consider how many bulbs you need for your home. It also doesn't factor in all the replacement bulbs you have to buy if you use incandescent bulbs.

Crazy.

melon said:
This is really silly, particularly since the new bulbs work in the exact same sockets. And, sure, they cost a little more right now, but they do last considerably longer, in addition to using less energy. However, when this law is enacted, "economies of scale" will kick in and make them cheaper--just like HDTVs, which, by the way, are increasingly necessary, considering analog TV will cease to transmit in 2009. I'm guessing our resident "libertarians" didn't bitch about that, due to the money to be made on the spectrum being vacated.

While I have had increasing libertarian tendencies over the last year, I get the sense that most self-described libertarians, at least in the U.S., are lunatics.
Not relevant to me as an individual, I switched to CFL bulbs and watch all my television on computer - although I can see the argument in favor of allowing people to use archaic technology.

We got a couple of free CFLs in the mail today. The advertising sounds promising enough, but I can't help but think they're a little weaker than the incandescents. And what's all this I hear about them containing mercury? That can't be good. :huh:

Back
Top Bottom