The important issues in the us election

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzlingamy

Refugee
The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - M
I think the most important issue in the election this year is gun control. This doesn't mean that other issues like Iraq and foreign relations, health care, environmental issues and social issues are not important, I just think this one deserves more attention then its getting.

Now while I know i'm in the very small minority of people wanting to ban all guns outright, and I can be realistic and see that that is never going to happen with the amount of saturation of firearms in the united states, something seriously big needs to happen to stem this tide of continuous murders happening around the country everyday.

The fact that there have been so many school shootings in the last few years should be indicitive enough to realise there is a serious problem with how easy it is to get your hands on a lethal weapon. I went to uni for 5 years and never, not once did a thought of 'i may be killed by someone' enter my mind.

People do not "need" guns. Society can function quite well without them. We live in one now, and for the most part everything is fine. No one needs a gun for protection. No one should be allowed to carry a gun concealed with them while walking the streets.
Society on the whole is pretty stupid. How can you even feel safe knowing that they are millions of people out there who have got a lethal weapon and really honestly don't know how to use it properly, and scarily, don't seem to have the mental facilities to accept such a big responsibilty.

I think americans have lost respect for their fellow man. Everyone is distrusting and suspicious of everyone else, and then for some reason people seem to think carrying a gun is going to make it better.

OF course there are other factors involved in this. I personally believe that people need psychiatric testing before owning a gun, and perhaps even making psyciatric testing a part of an annual medical exam in schools to be aware of anyone who may be heading in some direction so they can get the help they need.

I also believe the media plays a big role int hsi as well. If they wern't so bloodthirsty in gettign every little excruiating detail of this horrendous situations and almost relishing the information (and thinking about the awards or money they can make from it) perhaps people who want to go out in a big way (which definately indicates the elevator doesn't go all the way to the top) might not be so tempted. And while i'm not so naiive to believe that making guns look cool in the movies makes everyone want to go out and shoot people, i still think the way that america embraces violence in movies but can't show a breast or bum without slapping on a warning - there is something seriously wrong with that.

What issues do you think are the most important in this election?

I think gun control is an issue that is similar to abortion in the sense that we will never see a full out ban. Now saying that I know it isn't exactly the same, but my point is that those seeking a full out ban are fooling themselves just like those on the pro-life side. It's an issue that deserves compromise. Now Bush has made a move that took this issue a couple steps backwards when he didn't reassign the assault weapons ban. But something has to be done...

The economy, international diplomacy, environmental/energy policy, Iraq, Afghanistan/Pakistan, healthcare, education, civil rights (including LGBT rights and racial inequities in criminal justice), the Israeli/Palestinian peace process, and the anticipated two Supreme Court appointments are probably the "top ten" issues most on my mind right now, in pretty much that order. It's a bit of a tough question to answer, because everyone breaks down the various "issue" categories somewhat differently. Gun control is certainly not far down my list from the above.

Good to see you back amy, we missed you! :wave:

Last edited:
Well, I guess going after that pesky second amendment isn't as bad as Bush trying to tear up a bunch of others.

A_Wanderer said:
Well, I guess going after that pesky second amendment isn't as bad as Bush trying to tear up a bunch of others.

But one has to admit some ammendments are outdated, hell even Sting admits that.:wink:

We've come a long way since the days of military and the common citizen holding the same exact arms...

the economy (by which i mean doing something about the massive deficit Bush has given us and all that cash we've borrowed from China and the $18m an hour wars we're fighting).

iraq.

afghanistan.

israel/palestine.

global AIDS.

Back
Top Bottom